iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just wondering....

Started by HiTech, March 23, 2016, 08:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

if anyone knows when big is going to be big enough? Doesn't seem to matter today what it is, it has to be bigger. Whether it be logging, farming, banking, stores, etc. everything is bigger. No small skidders being built in this country or dozers. ATV's have gone from practical to enormous. I am now seeing sugar bush operators buying others out. More taps needed. People with 200 square of lawn are buying 30hp 4 wheel drive diesel tractors to mow them. 400hp 1/2 pickup trucks to go get groceries. It doesn't stop. lol

John Mc

Even passenger cars are getting bloated again:

The Subaru Legacy / Subaru Outback was just about the State Car of Vermont. My wife was quite dismayed when her 2001 Legacy Wagon finally bit the dust. It was the perfect sized car for her. When she went shopping, she was not happy to see how much they'd grown. She ruled out the Outback as just too big. Ended up with the Subaru Forester - even that her comment was "Add a couple more inches and a third row seat and I might as well get an SUV or Minivan." She just did not like the Crosstrek, and I agreed. It felt like driving a tin can, even compared to her 15 year old Legacy.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

madmari

Greed? Is that the word?
  I agree- everything has to be monsterous and over the top. My Mom and Dad started a family of 4 kids on a dairy farm milking 30 head. They did alright with a 30 hp Ford tractor, a baler, rake, and two hay wagons. No way could you do that today.   
  Same with logging. Skidders 11' wide guzzling diesel, filling 15-20 trucks a day. Markets flood, everything goes bust until the wood stops coming. Then it starts over again. It's insane.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

BargeMonkey

My parents have had "ford ranger trucks" for 20+ yrs as gopher vehicles, now Toyota is really the last one with a small truck. I've got a 440D + 460C, neither of which are even close in size to a new 640L/648L which is the smallest machine deere makes now. Unfortunately do to comp and lack of qualified help I can see why it's gone that way. We used to load hay by hand, can't justify the help so we went to a big new square bailer that will kick tandem wagons, I don't see it getting better.

John Mc

Didn't realize that Toyota was the only one left with a small truck. Bummer. USed ones are tough to find around here as well. Everyone turned them in during the "cash for clunkers" craze.  So much for finding a an old small pickup for a "woods beater".
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ohiowoodchuck

Look at house sizes, in the 50's-70's my grandparents raised my dad and three aunts in 750sq ft, without a indoor bathroom. Now if you don't have 5000 sq ft for a family of four and spend a hour trying to find your kids in it, you aren't livin. It will all come crashing down someday.
Education is the best defense against the media.

enigmaT120

Quote from: John Mc on March 23, 2016, 04:38:42 PM
Didn't realize that Toyota was the only one left with a small truck. Bummer. USed ones are tough to find around here as well. Everyone turned them in during the "cash for clunkers" craze.  So much for finding a an old small pickup for a "woods beater".

I expect I'll sell my '81 Toyota 4WD short bed but not until after I get my '58 Chevy Napco restored.  Don't hold your breath!  I'm so slow.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

BargeMonkey

We have done excavation work at 2 houses within 3 miles of me, both which where TV show houses, 1 on HGTV and the other was that BC - cabin show. The money that is spent is ungodly. I live in an 1800SQft house which we use 1/3 of it.

SWVAlogdog

Bigger, more expensive, yet more cheaply made.  It's a head scratcher...
Certified Forester
Certified Arborist
Virginia SHARP Logger
1995 Mack RD688 log truck with SERCO 8500 knuckleboom loader
1970-something Tree Farmer C5D cable skidder

Thank You Sponsors!