iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What tree is this?

Started by ForestGump, March 23, 2016, 12:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestGump

Pop Quiz!
I had this tree blow down in my woods- not sure if its worth winching out and milling or not...any ideas what species it is?
Was growing in low creek bed flood plain if that helps...

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/37502/0308161242.jpg

thanks in advance!
Let the wood times roll!

ForestGump

Let the wood times roll!

WDH

Could be mulberry.  Is the heartwood a bright yellow?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

I think its butternut...  Can you get a better pic of the end grain ?
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mesquite buckeye

That end looks pretty dozey. Maybe the whole thing is rotten. Mulberry does not rot very fast. That looks more typical of a rotted elm to me. The lower part of the trunk might be better.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAB

Quote from: isawlogs on March 23, 2016, 08:45:00 AM
I think its butternut...  Can you get a better pic of the end grain ?

From the bark I think Marcel is right butternut.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

petefrom bearswamp

My vote is with Marcel by the looks of the bark
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

cuznguido

We call that boxwood.  Pretty much worthless if that is what it is.

Autocar

The first picture looks like a dead for a number of years Ash tree but the second picture looks like a Pig Hickory the way the smaller branches branch off the limbs.
Bill

ForestGump

Im going to see if there are others with similar bark and try to ID the leaves when they pop out next month...Ive never heard of pig hickory but there are a few other hickories near.
Let the wood times roll!

WDH

I am going to keep my bet on mulberry.  I see your pig hickory and raise you one mulberry  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Quote from: WDH on April 08, 2016, 06:56:55 AM
I am going to keep my bet on mulberry.  I see your pig hickory and raise you one mulberry  ;D. 

I know better then to bet against you but I am stuborn    ;D    I am sticking with Butternut. I just wish we had better pics and a nice cut end grain of the wood on that downed tree.  :)  ( mAlso is I have yet to see a mulberry so have no clue as to what it even remotly looks like. )  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tarm

I'm with you isawlogs. Looks like a butternut. Gray bark, dark wood. When butternut gets infected with the blight fungus it dies from the top down and send out a lot of new stem branches. The trees also seem to rot off at the roots first and fall over instead of breaking up.  I had hundreds of them in my WI woods. The blight got them all.

Ron Scott

Lying in a low creek bed in a flood plain in Central Michigan = black ash.
~Ron

Gary_C

I agree with Ron, it looks like black ash.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doctorb

Every time I go fishin', I see a backlash.   ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Cedar Eater

I'm going to go with willow. I've cut a lot of black ash in the NELP and none of it looked like that. It  looks like the willows I have in my lowland.
Cedar Eater

LeeB

My first thought was willow but then I'm wrong most of the time.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

square1

I'm in the ash camp, white (possibly green) but not black.  Can you post pics of the terminal buds and / or leaf scars?  Most elm here loses all it's bark and stands naked for years after dieing before toppling over on it's own.

Thank You Sponsors!