iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler Classic 6048 or Edge 750

Started by GrizzlyCmj, March 22, 2016, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyCmj

Hello to everyone!  Im new to this forum and looking for some advice.  I have an opportunity to buy a CL 6048 or the new Edge 750.  Would like some pro's and con's of each.  Does anyone have the new Edge 750 yet?  Anyway thanks in advance for the help in deciding which direction to go in.

boilerman101

Welcome to the forum Grizzly. I had a CL5648 the pre-CL6048 Classic model for 5 years and it was great. In 2010 I upgraded to CB's same size gasification model the Eclassic 2400 and never looked back. Cut my wood usage by 40% saving me a lot of work and time. Also love the firestar XP wifi monitoring device on my Eclassic which Classics don't offer. I've seen the new Edge 750 but don't own one. I really like some of the changes they've made to this furnace which should make it even easier to operate and maintain. It also supports the XP wifi device which I could no longer be without. The edge looks like a solid unit and I really liked what I saw. The Edge 750 is the same size unit as my E2400 and the lower price of the Edge makes it look like a great value for the money. Seasoned wood certainly works best in a gassifier and I have found the operation and maintenance of my Eclassic does not take much more time than my Classic did and not difficult at all. For those reasons if I were buying a new furnace today I'd go with the Edge 750 for my nickels worth.

jtflynn

I have a CB 6048 and love it....will burn anything....and I mean anything....great way to get rid of junk pine and rotten hardwood... Will definitely go through a lot more wood than with a gasification model though... Depends on where your wood supply comes from I guess...my sawmill slabs basically feed mine....and I consider that free! 8)

DDW_OR

GrizzlyCmj, where are you.
I have purchased the 750, not installed yet. trying to find someone here is hard.
I also will be sending my sawmill scraps into the 750.
need to limit the amount of green wood to no more than 15% per load.
"let the machines do the work"

GrizzlyCmj

Thank you so much for the replies so far!!!  This will be my first outdoor wood boiler.  I've been burning wood inside for years using a Buck wood stove.  Looking forward to burning in one of these units this coming fall and winter.  I live on a farm which is where I get most of my wood.  I have been looking at central boiler's for a long time but never purchased until now.  I will be heating about 3500 sq ft. house, 2-car garage, DHW, Hot-Tub and in the future a workshop.  I have a lot to learn about these stoves, just wanting to make sure I choose the right one for my family.  Thanks again for the help. 

stratford 50

It would be nice to talk to some owners of the new edge that are in operation, I just purchased a 2400 model which replaced a 2300 model that sprung a leak and wasn't repairable. The 2400 is a great furnace if it will last & hold up longer than my 2300 did. It will heat more area than I anticipated and is easy operate & service. I'm heating over 5000 sq ft with capacity to spare @ -30 below temps.

toolroomguy

I would like to hear about the unrepairable leak in your 2400. On shutdown after my 3rd season I discovered a leak was letting water in from the lower right corner hole to the back air channel that looks difficult to repair. My dealer suggest sending it back to CB for a factory repair. I have provided records of water quality using CB rust inhibitor and test kits. I also use CB Ashtrol in the firebox with good seasoned wood. So far I am not impressed with the momentum or information on repairing this unit. I have been told I will need to pay several hundred dollars to ship it back to CB. I am interested in your experience with CB.

Thank You Sponsors!