iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used up one of my 900 lives today...

Started by Kbeitz, March 22, 2016, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Glad to see you survived. I bet that is not the first of your 900 lives used in your lifetime.  You better get making more sawdust to fill up the ditch for a soft landing should it happen again. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on March 23, 2016, 10:03:22 PM
Glad you're okay but I want to warn you, steep hills are no place for dealing with heavy loads of lumber. I'm not sure how you'll do it but I'm telling you its only a matter of time before you get into something terrible. Through the change of seasons the ground can change greatly, doing this kind of work on slopes is incredibly dangerous.

The crawler will be the worst thing you can be on with frozen ground and hills.

My road in is steep. When loaded I have a much better road going out.
You can see the road out in this picture. It's like a one way road because
I just dont have room to easy turn around. So I come in the steep road
empty and out the flat road loaded.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on March 23, 2016, 09:32:08 AM
Is that a Cletrac?  Oliver?  What's the difference between the two, or are they the same?  I'd love to have one of these some day.  I've got a huge soft spot in my little old heart for old iron.

The OC-3 is one step up in the modef numbers form a Cletrac. Just a little heaver duty.
Same engine. Most OC-3's xame with loaders. The frame suports are much heavyer.
The 5 we had on our tree farm was all HG-Olivers. This is my first OC-3
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

never finished

Kbeitz many a man have tried to jump off a tractor and hope they clear the load behind them. But very few were able to tell about the end results. Pull that seat belt down tight and hope that ROPS does its job. Or better yet, on that hill you've got, pray it does it's job.

Kbeitz

I have many times thought about that. I would agree with that in a car or truck.
But in a tractor no way. If it's going over I'm leaving. I'm sure i would be dead
today If I stayed with this one. The biggest thing is to get clear and not trapped.
Lived on a farm all my life and had many close calls with tractors.
Three times I've balled out. The picture is the same tractor as in this post.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

Tracks on a hill with any kind of Ice ?  Guess it is a fair weather plan
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

YellowHammer

I have been watching this thread for awhile, but have not commented because these types of things hit close to home for me, and maybe for everybody who works in an environment where things can go bad real fast, which includes sawmilling and logging.
So this is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, it's not criticism, but just my way of looking at things dealing with and handling dangerous, lethal items at my day job on a routine basis.  When major failures occur, or people get almost severely injured or worse, it's almost always a combination of several factors, not just one, although it generally only takes the last "tumbler in the lock" or the small unanticipated issue to make things go wrong.  So fixing the trailer is one factor removed, but I have a personal rule that anything that tries to kill me or my people gets pulled from service immediately, removed or destroyed and I never use it agin. Never. I would be selling the trailer for scrap.

Also, I would switch from pulling loads from the three point hitch, many, many people have been killed doing that.  Tractor draw bars are designed for pulling as they are lower than the center of pressure on a tractor, so when pulling a heavy load, the front end is forced down instead of up.  So the tractor gains control authority instead of losing it.  If for some reason the drawbar isn't an option with this configuration, then I'd make it one.

I would also put a barrier down, or even redo the road in such as way to have a safety berm or wider path, or something. 

I would also get a heavier, more stable piece of hauling equipment, whatever it may be, bigger tractor, crawler, or even a dump truck, something designed to haul logs and the loads you are hauling.   

The last picture of the rolled tractor would be the icing on the cake for me.  Remember earlier in the post how I said anything that tries to kill me never gets used again? This is why.  And also how just changing one factor generally doesn't solve the problem for long?  Apparently this tractor has tried to kill you twice. That's my point. This tractor would be history, and I would get one that is better configured for what you are trying to do. 
Just trying to give a different point of view.  Stay safe. Happy Easter.  It could have been a much different one. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

Thanks... I do appreciate your input. But I'm keeping my tractor.
I take this all as a learning curve. The more mishaps I have the more I know what my tractor can and cant do.
With the green trailer I have I have to use the 3 point. The tongue does not move up and down.
So something on the tractor needs to float. I do plane on building a barrier at the end of that road.
I never take a loaded trailer down that road. Its what I have to work with so I'll make do.
By locking the tongue like I did I can now lift the 3 point and the trailer so I'm pulling it like
a two wheeled trailer. Sure makes it easy to back up.

Thanks again for your input.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Yellowhammer makes a lot of good points. Some options are probably never going to happen due to physical and cost constraints but they need to be considered and please make every effort to eliminate or mitigate them.

When I was working and in charge of others if we had an injury or near miss (as this was) I always had the individual involved present a formal safety class at the site of the incident/accident to the whole team explaining what happened, what caused it, what made it worse, what kept it from being worse (PPE, etc), what could have prevented it and lessons learned. The rest of the team got to ask questions and see exactly what happened and what could have happened. I tried to make sure we had this "class" as soon as possible - within 24 hours where possible.

We treated every near miss exactly as an actual accident or incident because except for dumb luck they were the same. I found I could preach occupational safety all day long and folks would take it with a grain of salt but when one of their co-workers told them in their terminology the same thing while standing there with stitches in his head or a cast on his arm, they paid more attention.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

Thats an Excellent Plan when you have 900 lives . I only have ONE and I am thankfull when I come home with 10 fingers and 10 toes . As the Rednecks last words were  " Hey guys watch this ."
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Kbeitz

I dint want to post this because 90% of you wont beleve this...
But this is my life for real... Hand on the Bible it's the truth...

My life of 900 lives.

Fell off a high ladder in a tree

Battery blew up in my face.

Pop off valve blew up in my face.

Wax bullet blew up in my face.

# 40 roller chain broke and hit me in my right eye hard enough to take me of my feet.

Had a cement column fall behind my back. It landed two feet from me.

Rolled a tractor. Rolled a garden tractor.

Had a boat and trailer come off the hitch and run over me.

Lost control of a motorcycle and went through the wood with trees narrow than the handlebars.

Hit a Cliff with a motorcycle.

Almost broadsided a car with a motorcycle.

Came very close to hitting a deer and a raccoon with a motorcycle.

Had a very large tree crash down on a D9 dozer I was driving.

Had a spring loaded log spring up and bend the roll bar of the same D9 dozer right next to my head.

Had a welder blow up on me..

Had a burn barrow blow up on me. Had no idea what was in it.

All most stepped on a gator.

All most stepped on a cotton mouth.

Almost fell off a high rafter in a barn.

Accidentally made two sparks in a grain silo.

Had a trailer come off a road bank and the tongue landed on my shoe pushing my foot off to one side.

I needed a jack to get my shoe back. No mark on my foot.

When chainsawing I had a spring loaded tree come back and land on my foot. Saw was stuck in the tree.

I had to use another log tree to pry the tree off my foot... Lots of pain.

Walked away from a head on collision with my Jeep Wrangler. Both vehicles totaled.

Rolled a VW Dune buggy all the way over. I was thrown clear.

Drill a hole from out side a house into a 220V live range recital.

Drilled a hold through a live 220v circuit box and a place that built homes.

Had a large tractor tire blow up with my head between the fender and the tire..

Had a tractor start in the barn with me between the tire and the wall. No safety switch.

Had a large grind stone blow up into 3 chunks. One went through my home.

Had a 8" 4 jaw chuck come loose and off a metal lathe.

Had a drill press through a vise across the room.

Had an electric motor catch my shirt sleeve and the shaft went into my arm.

Had a 1" hand drill get away from me... Old one that was made that the switch stayed on.

Had metal stick in my eye.

Had metal in deep in my hand.

Cut a live 220v air conditioner wire off with a saws all.

I was in a boat that got out of control and dumped everyone out but me.

Almost put a dozer over a clift... Did put on on it's side.

Also has a large tree up end and the stump picked up the dozer and took me over a bank.

I was the last person to drive over the Milton bridge seconds before it fell in 1987.

I had a Briggs gas engine flywheel come apart while I was working on it on my work bench.

When I was a kid I climbed way up in a tree and the limb I was standing on broke. The one I was holding was smaller but helled me.

When in the Army we blew up a bridge and the beams cam crashing down on the APC I was in.

I was standing next to a jeep that ran over C3 and blew the front tire off.

I had a blasting cap blew up in my hand that was in a spring trap for a land mine, No injury.

Almost fell off a roof twice. One with snow and once the roof was just wet.

Had a girl hunter discharge her rifle when it was pointed at me. I have no idea how close the bullet was.

I got trapped in the center of a gas fire. I held my breath and closed my eyes and ran... No injury's.

Lost control of a 90hp farm tractor pulling a tantrum axle sprayer.

allmost lost my face trying to stop a runaway farm trailer when the back of the trailer dug into the dirt and the tongue flew up past my face.

Almost upset a highlift..

I got a forklift stuck between a moving train and a roof column.

Almost got blown off a 6 story roof when the wind wrapped a tarp around me. I was trying to take it down.

Almost got chopped in two when I stepped off an elevator that was loaded with a forklift that was to heavy for it.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I only have two words.  Holy crap.  I thought I had a long and interesting history of close calls and narrow misses and injuries.  Compared to you I must have around 450 lives or so...  Thanks for sharing all of that - it was interesting for me to put myself in your place and imagine how it was.  Reading your post took me around 20 minutes or so because I thoroughly thought on each one.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

Hmmm, I think the lesson learned here is stand anywhere near Kbietz!  ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

Wow, stay away from me. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Percy

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 27, 2016, 12:36:55 PM
I dint want to post this because 90% of you wont beleve this...
But this is my life for real... Hand on the Bible it's the truth...

My life of 900 lives.

Fell off a high ladder in a tree

Battery blew up in my face.

Pop off valve blew up in my face.

Wax bullet blew up in my face.

# 40 roller chain broke and hit me in my right eye hard enough to take me of my feet.

Had a cement column fall behind my back. It landed two feet from me.

Rolled a tractor. Rolled a garden tractor.

Had a boat and trailer come off the hitch and run over me.

Lost control of a motorcycle and went through the wood with trees narrow than the handlebars.

Hit a Cliff with a motorcycle.

Almost broadsided a car with a motorcycle.

Came very close to hitting a deer and a raccoon with a motorcycle.

Had a very large tree crash down on a D9 dozer I was driving.

Had a spring loaded log spring up and bend the roll bar of the same D9 dozer right next to my head.

Had a welder blow up on me..

Had a burn barrow blow up on me. Had no idea what was in it.

All most stepped on a gator.

All most stepped on a cotton mouth.

Almost fell off a high rafter in a barn.

Accidentally made two sparks in a grain silo.

Had a trailer come off a road bank and the tongue landed on my shoe pushing my foot off to one side.

I needed a jack to get my shoe back. No mark on my foot.

When chainsawing I had a spring loaded tree come back and land on my foot. Saw was stuck in the tree.

I had to use another log tree to pry the tree off my foot... Lots of pain.

Walked away from a head on collision with my Jeep Wrangler. Both vehicles totaled.

Rolled a VW Dune buggy all the way over. I was thrown clear.

Drill a hole from out side a house into a 220V live range recital.

Drilled a hold through a live 220v circuit box and a place that built homes.

Had a large tractor tire blow up with my head between the fender and the tire..

Had a tractor start in the barn with me between the tire and the wall. No safety switch.

Had a large grind stone blow up into 3 chunks. One went through my home.

Had a 8" 4 jaw chuck come loose and off a metal lathe.

Had a drill press through a vise across the room.

Had an electric motor catch my shirt sleeve and the shaft went into my arm.

Had a 1" hand drill get away from me... Old one that was made that the switch stayed on.

Had metal stick in my eye.

Had metal in deep in my hand.

Cut a live 220v air conditioner wire off with a saws all.

I was in a boat that got out of control and dumped everyone out but me.

Almost put a dozer over a clift... Did put on on it's side.

Also has a large tree up end and the stump picked up the dozer and took me over a bank.

I was the last person to drive over the Milton bridge seconds before it fell in 1987.

I had a Briggs gas engine flywheel come apart while I was working on it on my work bench.

When I was a kid I climbed way up in a tree and the limb I was standing on broke. The one I was holding was smaller but helled me.

When in the Army we blew up a bridge and the beams cam crashing down on the APC I was in.

I was standing next to a jeep that ran over C3 and blew the front tire off.

I had a blasting cap blew up in my hand that was in a spring trap for a land mine, No injury.

Almost fell off a roof twice. One with snow and once the roof was just wet.

Had a girl hunter discharge her rifle when it was pointed at me. I have no idea how close the bullet was.

I got trapped in the center of a gas fire. I held my breath and closed my eyes and ran... No injury's.

Lost control of a 90hp farm tractor pulling a tantrum axle sprayer.

allmost lost my face trying to stop a runaway farm trailer when the back of the trailer dug into the dirt and the tongue flew up past my face.

Almost upset a highlift..

I got a forklift stuck between a moving train and a roof column.

Almost got blown off a 6 story roof when the wind wrapped a tarp around me. I was trying to take it down.

Almost got chopped in two when I stepped off an elevator that was loaded with a forklift that was to heavy for it.
Aye carrumba!!! And you are still with us. Hang in there buddy, and Im thinking you should buy a lottery ticket or two......wouldnt hurt......like alot of that listed stuff did :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

Each ones got it's own little story...
I think the reason that I've had so many exciting adventures is that I am a very very active guy.
I like hang gliding, zip lining, dirt cycle ridding, cannon shooting and so much more.
When you do so many things somethings gotta happen... I dont feel that I have bad luck or anything.
I'm very happy with my life. Would not trade it for anything. Would do it again.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

But what you're doing is throwing caution to the wind with the things you do.
Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best of luck with the things you do. You do have a lot of talent. With the things you make. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

crowhill

I worked as a Human Resource Director for most of my career. Twenty years for one company and part of my responsibility was administering safety programs. Interesting observation was that most of those injured on the job requiring workers compensation forms to be filled out were repeaters. Some people are just accident prone due to being risk takers and usually it doesn't pay. When working at jobs of high danger potential slow down and think about safety, not just for you, but for co-workers and loved ones as we'll. Safety pays! Passing no judgement on anyone, please just be safe.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

47sawdust

I thought I might like to visit sometime,but after reading reply #35 I'm going to change my travel plans.I only have Medicare and one life. running-doggy running-doggy
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

never finished

Kbeitz, I do believe you would make a good segment on the ax men show. As far as rolling tractors go, your talking to some one that spent 28 years around mowing slopes. I could fill this page on roll overs I have witnessed. One rolling 3 times before landing on its wheels. One landing upside down in about 5 feet of water. What I cant tell you about any of them dying. As far as farmers around here goes. I can think of four that their families wish they had ROPS and seat belts and been smart enough to use them. I'm not saying I all ways wear them, but if the situation calls for it I do.  When something like what happened to you, happens to me. One thing that comes to my mind, is what would my loved ones think about the  stupid risk I took. While standing over my cold dead body. 

etroup10

Kbeitz, is the Milton bridge in Sunbury? I was just up there the other week to buy a truck. We don't live too far apart!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Kbeitz

Quote from: etroup10 on March 27, 2016, 11:30:13 PM
Kbeitz, is the Milton bridge in Sunbury? I was just up there the other week to buy a truck. We don't live too far apart!
Na.. The Milton Bridge was in Milton..
I was working at Westchester Narrow fabrics and I needed an electrical part from Dauphin Electric
in Lewisburg. So I jumped on my motorcycle to go get it. As I was driving my cycle across the
bridge I felt a big bump. I left off the gas and looked back to see what I hit. I dint remember seeing
anything laying on the road. Another cycle behind me came to a stop. I almost stopped.But I could not
see nothing laying on the road. I could not make a u-turn on the bridge. So I just keep going.
After I got my electrical part and started back when i got to the bridge it was closed. I had to drive
another 10 miles out of my way to get to another bridge to get across the river. When I got back to
work all the employs ask me it I heard the news... I said no... They told me the Milton bridge fell.
So the bump I felt was the one edge of the bridge decking fell a few inches and the other corner
was still attached. I don't know how close it was to going all the way down when I got across.
I did not see or hear anything as I was driving. I guess the cycle behind me did see something or
he would no have stopped. I guess the reason I could not see anything was the angle I was looking
back from the cycle. The end that dropped would have been imposable to see from my angle.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I don't look at myself as a risk taker ...
It's just another adventurous day for me on the farm.
But when i worked foe Joe's Welding I did think everyday was risky working for him.
Thats the one place we was in the grain silos. But everyday was something exciting with him.
I felt I was to old to be working for him. Let the younger guy do the stuff he was doing.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

valley ranch

Glad it didn't get you, the Lord must think well of you.

Grandpa

Thanks for sharing that story Kbeitz.
You made me rethink some things I was thinking about and may have prevented a calamity.
Now I know to chain the three point down before going downhill.

Thank You Sponsors!