iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used up one of my 900 lives today...

Started by Kbeitz, March 22, 2016, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Someone was watching out for me...

I bought this green trailer in the first picture.

I'm going to use it to load my lumber on right off the mill so I have a way to move it to my storage spot.
The guy I bought it from called to ask me if i wanted to buy another one. I said sure.
I have a very steep road going into my mill and a good road on the way out.
Not much room to turn things around. So the first time going in I really went slow and even stopped
and backed up to be sure my tractor would handle the load. Going in I was always empty.
Going out the better road I would be loaded. This was done with the first green trailer.

So I got the new yellow trailer home and thought I would take it down to the mill.
I wasn't worried about the hill because the trailer was the same size and shape as the green one.
I was going down the hill and I heard a BANG. The back of the tractor went up in the air and
started going sideways. I dint even have time to look to see what happened. I turned my steering wheel
to straiten the tractor out and it slid the other way... I was all but ready to jump. I dropped the bucket
to help stop the tractor from tipping. I was sliding down the hill sliding one way then the other.
I dint have a whole lot of room to get stopped before I would have went over the bank.
But I got it stopped.

As you can see my back wheels are not on the ground...

What happened was the tongue of this trailer was made different than the green one.
It had a neat option of being able to fold it up when you park it so your not tripping over
it when it's not hooked to the tractor. The green trailer does not do this.
So when the trailer started pushing to the tractor it folded up. That lifted the back of the tractor right
up off the ground. Also the back of the trailer lifted up because of all the weight on the tongue of
the tractor.

I had one heck of a time getting out of this fix.  But Back to the weld shop I went. Going up hill was no problem.

I made some mods to the hitch...

And back to the hill I went...

No problem this time. The tongue cant raise up...

Bet I'll dream about this tonight. This is what was waiting for me if I dint get stopped.

Skid marks where my front wheels was sliding.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

squidboy51

Wow .... I never liked yellow trailers, can't trust those suckers for a minute!

Glad you got the situation under control quick, as I really enjoy reading your posts.

Take care and safe milling.

squid
Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

Seavee

You sure are lucky.  That would have ended up badly.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

peterpaul

Wow, glad your OK, kinda like an earthquake, the aftershocks are nearly as bad as the real deal.  I too have really enjoyed your posts and knowledge.  Like the bumper sticker says, "It Happens".  Please stay safe.  Those trailers sure look nice and should serve you well for your lumber transport.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

cutterboy

You just never know what surprises await you before the end of the day. That was quick thinking to drop the bucket. Glad you're OK.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Dave Shepard

When using a 3 ph like that for trailers, I like to run a chain from the top link down to the drawbar so it can't do that. My tractor is heavy enough that it doesn't get pushed around too easily, but it's still possible. Glad you didn't go over the edge!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gearbox

Nice trailers glad you are ok . That is some hill by your barn
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Bruno of NH

I like the trailers and what you use them for .
Glad you didn't go over the bank .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ox

Luckily you have the reflexes of a cat and the speed of a mongoose.  Glad to hear you're okay.  That darn tongue is something I wouldn't have thought of either and it's a good thing nothing bad happened before you fixed it good.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

I like the way I fixed the trailer hitch so it cant go up. Now when i back up an
empty trailer I can lift the 3 point and it lifts the front of the trailer all the way
off the ground. It's so much easier to back up a two wheel trailer than one with
four. I would not try it when it's full. I have a much larger tractor to move things
around with but I hate taking the backhoe off to use the 3 point.
I made a mod the the back of the tractor for a class 3 hitch but it wont
work with this type of trailer unless I let the trailer hitch float. Maybe I can
redesign the tractor hitch to work with my new trailers. This is a picture
of the hitch I made that hooks to the bigger tractor with the backhoe so i
dont have to take it off.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Not good. Who would of thought of that.
We use to have have supports that went to end of the hyd arms to the top link. That kept the 3 point hitch down low. We use to come down a steep hill with about a cord of wood on a trailer. The supports arms worked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You were almost up that creek without a paddle.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Wow..that was a close call...Believe I'd put a heavy duty stop barrier at the bottom of that hill.  Maybe jam a few locust timbers into the ground or something.  Good job on putting the bucket down.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Good your ok. Now sell the riding lawn-mower and get a tractor. 80 or 100 horse, 4x4 would be good.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

As steep as your place is I wouldn't be hitching a load to the 3pt lift.I'd be using a frame mounted tow bar,might not be as convenient but would save the skid marks on the ground and perhaps other places.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

Glad you are okay. I guess we need something to push all those potential clogs through our plumbing and I bet an adrenaline rush like that has your clean as a whistle (even if some articles of clothing may need early laundering). Good looking trailers and mods. Stay safe and thanks for sharing so the rest of us remember to look for such in the future.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scully

Tractors and hills are bad enough ! Thank the dear Lord you were not loaded !
I bleed orange  .

Kbeitz

Soon I'll have this up and running... Then I wont be pushed around...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

squidboy51

Kbeitz

I use a crawler on my sloped work area and would like to warn you about reverse steering with the track layer. You may be a cat skinner from way back and already know about the ways a crawler behaves going down slope. If you are not familiar with I am talking about, please talk to a local experienced operator to keep you and your equipment out of the creek.

Looks like another thread I will enjoy reading, saving the old iron from the scrap pile.

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

squid

Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

Kbeitz

Quote from: squidboy51 on March 22, 2016, 11:16:12 PM
Kbeitz

I use a crawler on my sloped work area and would like to warn you about reverse steering with the track layer. You may be a cat skinner from way back and already know about the ways a crawler behaves going down slope. If you are not familiar with I am talking about, please talk to a local experienced operator to keep you and your equipment out of the creek.

Looks like another thread I will enjoy reading, saving the old iron from the scrap pile.

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

squid

Hey thanks.
I got lots of time on dozers and the HG's are small but they do a big tractors work.
This is the kind of load we worked with here on the tree farm. Looks way to big for the tractor
but it handled it... We had to work on the hill in snow and ice these little tractors.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Is that a Cletrac?  Oliver?  What's the difference between the two, or are they the same?  I'd love to have one of these some day.  I've got a huge soft spot in my little old heart for old iron.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

outpost22

Whew! Lots of pucker factor there.  Thanks for the education without the hard earned lesson.  I don't own any "wagon" trailers. Mine all have fixed tongues with one or two rear axle sets.  I use the 3 point attachment for moving all of them around.  Never even thought of the flexible tongue issue before you showed the pictures.
My 16' flat bed has electric brakes, but I was thinking about either mounting a brake controller on the tractor or changing them to surge brakes for hauling logs down our mountains. 
I have used the bucket many times as an extra brake like you did.  The new grapple bucket has steel tines that are under it and make a really good brake, maybe too good.

Glad it all worked out for you.
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

petefrom bearswamp

Glad you are OK.
I agree with Peter Drouin, get a bigger tractor, or flatter ground..
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Cazzhrdwd

Glad you're okay but I want to warn you, steep hills are no place for dealing with heavy loads of lumber. I'm not sure how you'll do it but I'm telling you its only a matter of time before you get into something terrible. Through the change of seasons the ground can change greatly, doing this kind of work on slopes is incredibly dangerous.

The crawler will be the worst thing you can be on with frozen ground and hills.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

1-2 Tree

Man glad your OK bet that tractor did not leave the only skid marks !!
I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

Thank You Sponsors!