iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 61 oil problem/new to board

Started by Clockwork, October 24, 2004, 09:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clockwork

hello, this is my first post, but i have been lurking for awhile and found this to be a great site and resource.

anyways i recently scored a great running Husqvarna 61 from a guy for $50. this saw is great with lots of power but it doesn't seem to lube the (20" oregon) bar and chain enough. im using a new Stihl lube o matic chain. i first suspected this when my chain kept stretching and finally stretched enough to come off after the sproket chewed the bottom up. it uses bar oil but i dont see where its going. there is just a trace of lube on the chain guides but not near as much as my Echo 550evl which flings lube copiously. tonight i was cutting in the dark and the occasional spark confirmed the problem i think. question is, how do i adjust the oiler?

please excuse my ignorance, im somewhat mechanically inclined but want to know what im doing prior to the wrenching. chainsaws are kind of a hobby for me, im not a pro logger, i just sell firewood on the side. kind of a stupid sentimental hobby mainly, i guess because my dad used to take me logging all the time when i was young and he's always been into saws too. thanks-ryan
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

Kevin

Welcome ryan.
The adjustment screw is behind the clutch.
Remove the clutch and you'll see it.
#4 is maximum output.

minesmoria

Kevin i have an husky 55 and its doing the same thing as the other guys 61 saw.

Does the 55 have an oil scew behind the clutch also?

Kevin

As far as I know the oil output on the 55 isn't adjustable.
The only thing you can do is change the viscosity of the bar lube.

Tom

The problem may not be your oil pump.   Take your bar off of the saw and clean the chain groove real good.  Sawdust and dirt gets packed in there.  It should be regular maintenance but is often ignored.  

While you are cleaning, make sure that the oil hole that lines up with the saw's oiler isn't plugged.   The chain is oiled from below and the oil has to get from the pump through that hole in the bar and be picked up by the bottome of the drive links on the chain which fllings it up sinto the links. :)

The oil hole goes straight through the bar on some bars.  There is a thin flat piece of metal that fits over the tightening studs and is bent on the outside edges like it helps to keep the chain on and direct chips.  This little piece of metal also covers the outside of the bar oil hole to keep the oil from going straight thru the bar  so that it will accumulate in the groove.

Kevin

Thanks for mentioning that Tom, I have a bad habit of taking some things for granted.  ;D

Tom

I bend to your knowledge of the technology, but, when it comes to ignorance I'm the State Agent .....I can speak with authority when it comes to ignorance .....got lots of experience. :D :D :D :D :D

Clockwork

thanks, yeah i did clean out the hole and groove and yes they needed it but unfortunately it didnt solve the problem. it oils because i ran it without the bar and watched lube ooze out of the hole but maybe not enough velocity to reach the hole? thanks-ryan
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

ChrisN

MinesMoria asked about a 55 with the same problem.  Mine recently had this problem also, and it turned out the plunger in the oil pump needed to be replaced. Take it to the dealer.  No - not adjustable.

Chris
Chris

KENROD

You may want to check with a dealer but here's my view.
You have a husky saw, oregan bar and stihl chain. I would make sure they are all compatable. I know on a stihl saw you have to change the drive sprocket to run an oregan chain or the sprocket and chain will chew on each other, heating the chain and causing other problems :o :o Not real sure about your setup though, just a thought. ???

minesmoria

My saw also driped oil out but none on the chain, i got it back from the shop and it was the OIL PUMP got a new pump works great.

Thank You Sponsors!