iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forwarding trailer

Started by Pclem, March 21, 2016, 05:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pclem

Hello All,
I've been snoopin' around the forum for some time now, and figured it's time to join. I'm gonna start right off with a question. I'm looking at buying a forwarding trailer. I currently have a cable skidder, but want to downsize to something I can haul myself for my land and small acreage jobs. I'm looking at the metavic 1150 M14. Wondering how many guys use a trailer with traction assist. It's very expensive, but it will be my only tool for logging. So, do any of you have traction assist, or who doesn't, and do you feel limited where you can go if you do not have it. Any input is appreciated!
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Dave Shepard

bill m has a Metavic with the traction assist. As far as I know it works well. Welcome to the Forum!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Pclem

thanks! I've read some past posts from bill m. Curious to see how he still feels about it
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

ahlkey

I have a Metavic forwarding trailer with articulated wheels which has proven to be very important. Never really needed the added trailer traction but pulling the trailer with a 87hp with chains and fuild in the front tires helps.

samandothers

Can't help on your inquiry but welcome to the Forum!

thecfarm

Pclem,welcome to the forum.
What are you pulling the forwarder trailer with?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pclem

thanks for responses. I will be using an older ford 4000 2wd. depending who you ask, its 45-50 horse. It's what I've got for now, possibly upgrade to 4wd if I need to. .  ahlkey, which model do you have?

bill m

Welcome to the forum Pclem. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Yes, the drive assist is expensive but well worth the money. In some of the places I work I doubt a 100 hp tractor with full chains would pull my trailer with a full load of oak if the trailer did not have the drive assist.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Pclem

Good to know bill m. I figured you'd say that, based on the past conversations on this.

ahlkey

My Model is 15RF trailer and the 1150 series.  The numbers  have changed  but it would be similar to the M14.  Years ago you could not have the articulated trailer wheels and the traction option on the wheels together.  If you could get both that would be the way to go in my view.  It is probably a preference thing but I would not have a trailer without the articulated wheels for off-trail work or in  tight spots where you need to snake around or turn around  in tight areas.   Never had any big problems pulling full loads of Beech or Hard Maple but you can always pull less if conditions are bad.   

However,  I strongly suggest you not consider any 2wd tractor (dangerous). 

Pclem

Thanks ahlkey. wondering if I get articulate and 4wd, do I need 3 separate hyd hookups? [ loader, articulate, and 4wd ]. What do you consider dangerous about 2wd over 4wd? Because the front will lift off the ground easier when pulling a heavy load?

John Mc

Quote from: ahlkey on March 21, 2016, 11:27:53 PM
However,  I stronger suggest you not even consider any 2wd tractor (dangerous).   You would have to have completely flat ground and stay on the trails for sure.

If I were in the market for a tractor to use for small scale logging, I would certainly be considering getting a 4WD. However, if I already owned a 2WD, I would not hesitate to use it. Lots of folks have used 8N or similar tractors for years, and a 45 or 50 HP 2WD might easily outwork the 4WD 33 HP tractor I use. The key is to know the limitations of your equipment, and not to exceed them (or your own ability to operate it) - but then that's true of any equipment.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ScottAR

Going downhill with a 2wd tractor the trailer can push the tractor and in pushing lift the rear tires off the ground.  Since there's no brakes or transmission controling the front the whole works is now out of control gaining speed down the hill.  Nothing good happens at this point. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

thecfarm

All members listen to ScottAR. Any hill with a 2wd,that size and a load behind is DANGEROUS and then some!! Yes,it can be done,but not something I would want to do every day.We use to put about a cord on a trailer with a 2 wd. Not a good ride down the hill.  :o Than we got a 4wd years later. The front wheels would hold us back. A nice,safe ride down the hill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

If ground conditions are less than perfect with steep slopes or snow you want all the traction and pulling power possible.  As mentioned by ScottAR and thecfarm above if you are going downhill with a full load of logs and you are forced to stop you are going to experience dangerous wheelslip with a 2wd.  Likewise, once you try to pull a full load of logs uphill in winter conditions you will experience the difference between being forced to stop with a  2wd or continuing to work with a 4wd. 

As far as the number of hookups I would check with Metavic.

David-L

Been following this post and If you want to be safe, 4wd tractor and if your really using the trailer to its potential the assist drive is a must. My trailer dosen't have it and I wish it did. I have been stuck in the woods chained up with my trailer and 4wd 100hp tractor and theres nothing worse than unloading and having to do it again. Good luck and my little business would be in trouble without my grapple and trailer. great units with many purposes.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Pclem

Thanks for all the responses guys. Maybe I'll re-think my strategy. I could put more money toward 4wd tractor, and put a loader on trailer. [ I've got a forwarding trailer with no loader, but with a dump.] It works now, but I need to have skidsteer in woods to load trailer, then forward and dump on landing, and re- pile with skidsteer.[Not very productive]. I could afford to put a loader on it, buy a decent 4wd, and in a couple years invest in a trailer with assist drive. Great to be on the forum and get all the help!

schmalts

Hi, first post here, longtime lurker.   I am in the same position as you are with thinking about buying a forwarding trailer. I see you are less than an hour from my place and I would like to share what info I have found and maybe offer you an idea about a purchase.  I will PM you Thanks, Pat

John Mc

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Schmalts.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

schmalts

Thanks. Been lurking for a while, just never pulled the trigger to join.  I had a phone conversation with Pclem today, we are fairly close in proximity to each over. Hope to crunch some ideas about a forwarding trailer together.

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Pclem

I was just looking at my tractor the other day, wondering if I could do this! Kinda along the same lines of the iron mule.

Puffergas

You'll all have me kicked off the forum for posting this. I thought about converting an old M but if something went wrong I could get hurt big time so trying a small version......

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Pclem

Puffergas What did you do for steering? I thought the same thing about safety. Not having the front wheels on the ground for stability

lopet

Don't really see the point of cutting the front axle of, when a tractor which you can use to do other chores ,can do the same thing.
Having front wheel assist, you get even more traction.   The only advantage I see in a shorter turning radius , because it articulates .
But then again, if you have a  half  of dozen tractors laying around, why not.  I am sure it's doable.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!