iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do your contracts say?

Started by 2StateTrigger, March 19, 2016, 08:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2StateTrigger

So, I know that Im going to catch heat for this question but before you roast me I will say that I did due some due diligence prior to just posting this question.  You know how many responses you get when you search for the word "contract"....LOTS....

Anyways, is there anyone on the FF that would be kind enough in either posting their service contract for their sawing service or PMing me the info?

I plan on going to an attorney in order to fine tune some of the contract but I'm hoping some of youz guys can help a little old guy out who's jumping ALL into biz in the next month or two.

So if you'd be kind enough to post your contract here for all to see

OR

just PM me the info I would be MOST appreciative.

Thanks to all.

Jeff

Molon Labe

isawlogs

I'll jump in, I can't help you.   ::)   As I go with a hand shake and there word. I have never had anyone signe a contract for sawing, I have though for snowplowing  :-\ 

I do understand that you may want a contract, I never felt the need for it myself. Almost all of the sawing I have done is for self employed and they , like us , work hard for there money and know the value of it.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WV Sawmiller

Click on the icon on my profile and it takes you to my website which has my contract. I had my attorney review it and he said it would pass muster in most courts. My attorney was one of my first customers after reading the contract and finding I had a mill.

Like isaw I have yet to use it. My jobs have all be handshakes so far. I will admit I got a little nervous after one big (for me) job back in November and December but when finished the got wrote me the check for the full amount, I moved to his buddy's site nearby and sawed his logs and got a call from another referral from him last week for an upcoming job.

If the customer wanted a contract or was someone I was nervous about I would use one (Or just refuse to saw for him). I think you will find most of your customers are salt of the earth and none will be needed.

Look under the extras tab on this site and the knowledge database contains a couple including a link to the WM version. Good luck. (Correction - swore I saw it here last week under business plan but can't connect with it now.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Why would you think that you would catch heat or be roasted for asking a question about a contract??   smiley_headscratch

Revise your search to "sawing contract" and check the box below the search line that says "Search in topic subjects only".

Mine is a modified version that was supplied by Wood-Mizer.  I let my Attorney review it before I started using it.  It also serves as a sorta checklist to insure that all items are covered with the customer.  I absolutely sign one before sawing for any new customer.  I respect handshakes, but they will not stand up in a court of law.

After going back and reading my posted contract I see that there have been a couple of modifications and updates made.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Greyhound

From the other side...  I'm most comfortable paying by the hour (QS>cant or flitch sawn) + fixed travel/set up charge + consumables (if you hit a nail, I'll buy you a new blade).  This seems to work out the most fairly for sawyer and consumer.  Others may chime in, but this works for me.

Magicman

Hourly rate is very acceptable in certain circumstances.  Matter of fact, I used it this week.  Adding that option was one of the modifications to my contract.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I almost always go and check the jobsight before bringing the mill, I saye that because some are referals from longlasting repeat customers that call and vouch for the new guy. If for any reason I think I should have this one sign a contract for any reason a contract would be needed, I go and get another job, I don't need be sawing for anybody I cannot trust with a handshake, thats just me and the way I do my thing.  ;)  Its worked very well for me for 23 years portable sawing....  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

Hello Jeff, first off, we don't roast people on the Forestry Forum, it's just not the way we associate.

We do welcome pretty-much any question that requires an answer.

I think most of the sawmill companies have a sawing contract in their literature, I use the Wood-Mizer contract.  Find one of the contracts and modify whatever needs changing to fit your situation.

Happy Sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!