iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New wine rack

Started by Saga Dan, March 18, 2016, 09:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Dan

As the winter ski season has started to wrap up, it has left me with some time to get back to work on some wood projects.  The winter seems to kill my time with everything skiing.  I am not complaining but is does cut into my time in the shop. 
I have been playing with a live edge style wine rack.  Been using a few of my smaller slabs to craft a wall mounted piece.  Not real complicated but I figured that is was also something that I have not really seen before.   

2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

cbla

lowpolyjoe

Sweet!  I like it a lot.

Would you share how you made the slotted pieces on the bottom for the glass holders?

Saga Dan

I started with 1x2 and 1x3 stock for the different pieces the side pieces and the center piece.  I cut the pieces on my table saw with a home made "jig" ( a scrape piece of 1/8" hardboard clamped to the table. I used the "jig" to allow for a zero clearance and also to be able to reproduce my pieces a little easier in the future For the narrow pieces I set the fence at 1/2" and 1/2" blade height.  For the wider double side piece I set the fence at 1" and made a cut down each side leaving the 1/2" pieces in the middle of the piece.  I then tilted my blade to 12.5 degrees and set the height to intersect the first cut.

The first time I made the angled cut first which makes for a more challenging set of second cuts with a 1/2" bearing on the table.  Either way it is a little tricky clearing the pieces all the way through the blade.  A push stick is a must unless you have good insurance and enjoy the ER followed by several weeks of going to the OT to learn to use your newly altered fingers and hand...

Let me know if that helps.  If I need to I could take some photos.

21incher

Nice job.  It sounds like you learned the hard way to use a push stick. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Saga Dan

No, the lesson was learned from frostbite rather than shortening them with a table saw.  I have decided I like my fingers all that much more after almost losing several due to the cold...

WDH

Beautiful.  Is that ash?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Saga Dan

Red oak with a raw linseed oil finish.  Milled in the fall of 2014.

mesquite buckeye

Me like. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the info - i'll add it to my list of things to try :)

OffGrid973

Love that you can see the labels, great design and nice finished product.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

yukon cornelius

Really nice! I like the live edge. I think it adds unique character.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!