iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick

Started by Peter Drouin, March 18, 2016, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Are there loggers still use a stick to measure a log?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

CCC4

Yes, pretty common around here, especially with cedar cutters. I used to always use a stick when marking cedar and pine poles.

Bill_G.

Is there any other way .

thecfarm

Stick? I use to use one to measure my logs,just a piece of wood,like a small tree. I kept a tape measure on the tractor so if the stick got short I was all set.
My Father use to mark fire wood with an axe.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

same here just watch and dont do what my buddy did cutting up a load of double length logs some time on the beginning he hit the stick with the saw and almost 1/2 of the logs were 3" to short :o ::) but he is alot more careful after he seen the tie check with 43 igs >:( :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jwilly3879

A lot of guys around here use a 4' driveway marker for a stick. I sometimes use a stick for 8' pulp but usually I measure with a spencer tape and mark with spray paint. It let's me layout the logs for the best scale and grade before I start cutting. I also hate stumbling around the logs with a stick and a saw.

mills

I'll use a stick if I have to buck very many by hand.

coxy

the best part of a stick is the end never gets stuck between 2 logs if it gets mud on it it still works and if you loose/brake it is free or 2.99 at HD :D 

timberlinetree

I use the stick,mostly for grade. The tape works good for 22' pulp logs. On the long ones(pulp logs) I sometimes lose track of flips with the stick and have to start over. I make my own 4' stick with marks at 6" and 8" on the ends and at the 2' mark.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

loggah

I used a 4' fiberglass fence rod with a groove filed in it at the 2' mark. they are only 1/2" in diameter and you can hold them in your hand, and still hold the saw handlebar.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

69bronco

I always have a 4' stick in my handlebar hand when bucking, with a notch at 2'.

colincb183

I still do, carry a 100" stick for measuring pulp and bolts. Also use a Spencer tape for measuring logs

chevytaHOE5674

On the rare occasion that I have to hand cut many trees and buck logs I will cut myself an 8'6" stick and then add a mark 2' from the end. That way I can cut either 8' or 10' logs as well as pulp sticks. If its just a tree here or there that I hand cut I will just mark them out with paint and a tape measure and then buck them with the harvester.

RHP Logging

I tried the stick and hated it.  I run a 50ft spencer on each hip.  That way I don't get tangled up in the tape.  After I got all the number combos figured out its second nature.  I buck in the woods tho. My saw is 50" long so I scribe my pulp sticks. Two blips to a stick.
Buckin in the woods

pwrwagontom

I worked at a place which did this and I hated it. I always seemed to be fumbling with the stick, it made me take longer. Spencer tape all day in my book
Never give an inch

so il logger

4 foot red oak kiln stick, marked at 2'. I use paint to mark the logs, my helper starts in bucking behind me as i measure and then i grab a saw and buck when done measuring. To me it is easier than fumbling with a tape, i have tried both ways. Spencer is nice in the woods but for the landing the stick just works better for me

ehp

8ft 6 inch and also marked at 1 ft on each end and 2, 4, 6 ft , this way can cut everything from 6 ft up to whatever the mill wants

treeslayer2003

i haul every thing at 42-52' feet now, so i use a 100' spencer. when we hauled log length i used a 4'2" stick marked at 2'1" for 10-12-16-24' logs.

furltech

We just have a whip mounted on the handle of our saws here .makes the saw 4 feet in lenght we add on the trim by eye  some guys mark the whip   in one foot increments to make odd sizes .Mind you i am not cutting trees as big as you guys are and our spruce fir is definetly worth less than some of those hardwoods i see on here .

Peter Drouin

I buy logs from a bunch of loggers. And what I found out that I can get a load of logs from a man with a stick or tape and it's the same.
When I get a load of short or long logs, it's the man not the stick or tape. :D :D :D

Thank's guys
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

We got a bunch of logs at work this winter to cut timbers from the same land the frame is going to go up on. Somebody must have broken their tape and forgot it was 9" shorter. A lot of logs that wouldn't make what they were supposed to. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jdeere540a

i use a stick. tried both but tapes never lasted long plus i like a stick because its old school lol. i like those driveway markers to because if you drop it your more likely to find it. 

bill m

I have used both a stick and tape and only use a tape now. The stick was ok for pulp or spruce/fir but good grade hardwood I prefer a tape.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

bushmechanic

Well furltech I'm with you on the saw mounted whip. My father used a stick for years until I showed him the whip. You never lose it and your never looking for it cause it's with you as long as the saw is in your hands, to me anything else would slow you down.

Peter Drouin

Does anyone have a pic of the whip?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!