iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tried the Alaskan Mill, here are the results.

Started by lshobie, March 18, 2016, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lshobie

The mill is ok, needs work in my opinion and it is pretty cheap - not worth the money, anyone with limited skills could make a better product.  Just my opinion.

https://youtu.be/aGQZz-DPLQo
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Upper

I think the Alaskan's work great when the bolt are tightened properly.The bad thing about them is they are an entry level drug to the sawdust addiction.Its all in Woodmizers plan................Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Chuck White

Would be nice to have one of those for slabbing tabletops and such once in a while, but personally, I couldn't imagine cutting all the lumber with it!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

It would be handy at times, turned down a big post oak yesterday, 42", 44" on the butt, taken down up a bit from the swell, so 8' down it was near the same,, all I could say was I wish I had a slabber,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lshobie

Quote from: drobertson on March 18, 2016, 03:46:36 PM
It would be handy at times, turned down a big post oak yesterday, 42", 44" on the butt, taken down up a bit from the swell, so 8' down it was near the same,, all I could say was I wish I had a slabber,,

Its handy To have but investment that'll take a while to pay off.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

js2743

QuoteIts handy To have but investment that'll take a while to pay off.

Wouldnt one nice slab pay for it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

lshobie

Quote from: js2743 on March 18, 2016, 04:21:59 PM
Its handy To have but investment that'll take a while to pay off.

QuoteWouldnt one nice slab pay for it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Maybe I should ask money!

sealark37

The fellow who invented the Alaskan Mill was named Elof Granberg.  He designed it for those who lived far from civilization and needed lumber, bad.  As you have noted, it is cheaply made, (economical), and takes time to make lumber.  I believe that those who are still using it are just as hooked as if it were an LT-70.  Regards, Clark

ozarkgem

wish I had something to lift it with. That would have been some nice lumber.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

JohnW

If you don't like the thickness gauge, use spacers.  If you want to cut 2" boards, just cut 2 boards about 18" to 24" in length, and 2" wide.  Clamp your saw in, ready to cut, lay the spacers across the bar, lower the frame onto the spacers, tighten the U bolts and remove the spacers.

starmac

Well they are mighty handy when you have to walk a few miles carrying a mill.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

drobertson

Quote from: ozarkgem on March 18, 2016, 08:50:44 PM
wish I had something to lift it with. That would have been some nice lumber.
Yes OG, the weight and loading was another issue, we would've got it somehow, and it is a shame because as far as I could tell, no metal,,at least no staining whatsoever, It is and will be there for a bit I figure no one around here will want to saw it, she and he want the lumber,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Seems like it let a beginner cut a good slab that was worth more than the investment in the mill, not counting the engine. 

I'll bet that the average beginner using a $10000-$20000 slabbing mill might not cut a perfect slab on the very first try.   

I have two Granberg mills and while I don't use them any more,  would disagree that this is a cheaply made product. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

lshobie

For the cost vs quality I find it lacks and with a little more thought and implementation could be a top of the line product....I think they just fell short. 

I'm. Happy with the result, walnut next......And then a 3120 with 3 chains probably.

Dan_Shade

What would you improve?

I think they are good for what they are.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

BUGGUTZ

3120 is a beast! The ultimate mill saw. I saw an old Husky I think an 1100 it was a 99cc. Was on yabe for under $700. Had a pump oiler and all. Older cheap power.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

PineHill4488

Hello, my name is Greg and I am a sawcoholic.

It has been two days since I last ran my Stihl MS 660 with a 36" Alaskan mill attached.

I've used it year round for 18 months. From May to October, I can get a VERY big sweat rolling. Have lost a few pounds, I attribute it to my ongoing battle with furniture disease.

I am a hobbyist not a volume producer, all timber so far hasn't cost me a dime after getting the rig. It has paid for itself multiple times over, built new friendships, and rekindled old ones. I thoroughly enjoy running it and then opening the log to wood that is unavailable at the big box stores. I have become enamored of timberframing and look forward to cutting and erecting my first structure later this Spring and early Summer.

I am pleased with the investment and do not consider it cheaply made. My $0.02.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

WellandportRob

Hi Greg,

Your in safe hands now.  We all suffer the same affliction and work together to make it through each day.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

goose63

I bought mine for the bigger logs i could get in my Woodland now i have 4 guys wanting wide ash slabs told them $350 each told me get yer butt busy and start cutting. Thy are 3 inch thick 39 inch wide and 11 feet long first one payed for the rig.

I don't think thy are cheaply made I like mine just a lot of work for a old fart runt like me   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

cbla

I like my Alaskan Mill and think it has its place. It has paid for itself quite a few times over, would not want to be using it everyday though.

RPF2509

I'll have to agree that my Alaska mill has its quirks.  I try to use a bar that is just long enough to span the log (have cut up to 48") so more power goes to cutting.  The spacer idea is good for setting the thickness, I've used that method many times and its quite quick.  The height adjustment is finicky but once set holds well.  I'll agree it is a bit expensive for what you get but it paid for itself the first slab it cut.  Cutting on the ground makes pushing the saw easier and because it is so portable I've gotten slabs where a mill would never go.  Don't expect for it to cut ultra precisely, chain slop will add an eighth inch to either side so cut thicker than you need the final product. I rarely cut anything thinner than 1 -1/2 inches - mostly its 3 1/2".  Yeah its slow and noisy but it can do things to a log that would take a whole lotta dollars to do otherwise. 

Kbeitz

Whats the model number of your mill ?
I looked up Alaskan Mill and the longest one I found only cuts up to 36"

Model# G776-36

Opps I re-did my search and put the model number in and changed the last numbers and found a 60" model for $280.00
So what are you useing?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!