iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fender mounting on a trailer

Started by Ljohnsaw, March 17, 2016, 08:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I've seen many comments about removable fenders on saw mills (i.e. to get them out of the way when loading logs).  I have a boat trailer converted to flat bed that I'm still modifying.  I put the axle under the springs when I put a new one on to give better ground clearance and upped the wheel size from 13" to 15".  However, the fenders look really goofy now with about 10" of clearance above the tire.  I had to haul something really wide so I removed the fenders but should really put them back on - especially when raining - giant rooster tails!

So, the question is, how best to mount them to be easily removed when I need to when hauling logs, etc.  Those with mills that have removable fenders, can you post a picture or two?

Thanks
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

LJ,

Not sure if it would work for your application but the WM design on my mill has a slot about 3-4 inches wide and about 1/4" between to two sides on the trailer making a female end. On the fenders there is a corresponding male end that slides down between the parallel sides in the slot. There are 2 short bungy cords attached to the fender that fit in a groove on each side of the slot that holds the fenders in the slot when in motion.

If you need I will try to take pictures tomorrow and post them. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Check out this picture of Seavee's new sawmill.

The fenders have a steel strap ~¾ X 3" that is welded to the fender and extends down and fits into a slot about 3" tall.  A bungee holds the fender strap into it's "socket". 

Maybe someone has their sawmill close and can take detailed pictures.

Here the unattached fenders are in their normal nesting place when I am sawing.  One of the steel straps is seen sticking up from a fender.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Ok, I see how that's done.  Pretty simple.  I was thinking I would need two rods of some sort, one at each end to plug into something.  This gives me something to think about.  I was also wondering how to make them stay in when traveling.  I suppose a bungee would work.  With just the one attachment point, do they tend to flutter when underway?  Maybe you don't drive your mill like I do my trailer (70mph) :o  Thanks.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 17, 2016, 11:36:26 PM
Ok, I see how that's done.  Pretty simple.  I was thinking I would need two rods of some sort, one at each end to plug into something.  This gives me something to think about.  I was also wondering how to make them stay in when traveling.  I suppose a bungee would work.  With just the one attachment point, do they tend to flutter when underway?  Maybe you don't drive your mill like I do my trailer (70mph) :o  Thanks.

Mine have 2 bungee cords/straps on them - one on each end and they stand up well to highway speeds and conditions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Lynn, I usually put my fenders in the same area as you do when sawing, it keeps me from forgetting them when I'm finished sawing at that site.   :-\

I have never bungeed my fenders on, and have been over some pretty rough roads, maybe I've been lucky!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Mine fits in square holes... Easy on easy off...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

That is a very solid attachment Kb.  Looks good too.   smiley_thumbsup

Chuck, nesting them there also keeps my knees from hitting the hitch.  :o  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

K, nice coat of paint, did you give it a fresh one, or is this an older picture?  Nice a tide y fender placement,, the wmz'rs have the fender welded to a flat bar that slides into a slot,,the flat bar has a slight camber, to accommodate the location.  Mine has one bungee, it holds,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Keeping the fender slot open and clear of debris is very important.  It's not a pretty sight when a fender comes loose at highway speed.  How do I know.   :-\

A thin screwdriver makes quick work cleaning the slot.  Kb's look open which is good.

WV Sawmiller

LJ,

Here are the pix off my WM LT35HD. Hope this helps.

Here is the male end with bungee cords/hooks

Slot/female end. Hard to see but note the little slots for the bungee hooks.

Here's proof you need to remove the fenders before engaging the hydraulics.
Howard Green

Ljohnsaw

Thanks again.  The way WM does it is pretty slick - I like the little hidden bungees.

Kbeitz, that is what I had in mind but just couldn't think of how to mount the bars.  I like the wrap around and that is what would work for me.
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

Quote from: drobertson on March 18, 2016, 08:03:50 AM
K, nice coat of paint, did you give it a fresh one, or is this an older picture?  Nice a tide y fender placement,, the wmz'rs have the fender welded to a flat bar that slides into a slot,,the flat bar has a slight camber, to accommodate the location.  Mine has one bungee, it holds,

That was an old picture before I dusted everything...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brucer

That's the first time I've seen Wood-Mizer fenders with two bungee cords. Both my mills and my edger only have one (and both the mills were new when I bought them). I wonder if it's a regulation thing that varies from one jurisdiction to another ???.

The WM fenders are quite stiff -- notice they have a channel shaped cross section. That's how they get away with a single mounting point.

I've pulled my mill at 110 km/h, or about 65 MPH with no flapping :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

My sawmill did not come with bungee cords.  It had pins with spring loaded ball catch thingies that rusted and were not reliable.  I have been using a longer bungee cord on mine since one of my fenders bounced off while traveling.  Thankfully nothing was following me and I saw it through the rear view mirror.  It took much hammering to straighten it enough to use.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Maybe the first thing us WM owners should do when we get a new mill is sandblast all that orange off it then we would not have to spend the rest of our career knocking it off one piece at time with road rash, misloaded logs, etc. :)

I like the military idea of buying their vehicles with flat paint job so you don't mind driving them in the woods and places you need to drive a truck.
Howard Green

Brucer

Lots of good pictures of Wood-Mizer removable fenders -- except for the most critical one. Here's why the fenders don't flap in the breeze ...

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ljohnsaw

OK, finished the job.  Not nearly as elegant as Kbeitz', but gets the job done.  If you look at the angle on the frame in front of and behind the fenders, you can see how the old fenders came off the frame.  I cut off about a foot and flattened them a little to span the gap and lower the arch.  I had some clothing store furniture (chromed extendable steel racks) that I used the push buttons to lock the fenders in place.  We'll see if they just end up getting rusted in place  :-\

I took the opportunity to weld in a couple of 2" ID stock to be used for stake side posts or winch sockets or trailer log arc pivot points.
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

They are call H-racks. I had a few hunderd of them The steel is great for building things.
I think I got only about 4 of them left. What I got came from a Hills department store.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Unfortunately, this one was not an H rack.  It was a circular-topped one.  The fixed part was an open top A and the other 2 legs were hinged in the middle so it could lay flat.  So there were no right angles :-\  It opened into an X configuration.  Kind of hard to stick weld it.
John Sawicky

Magicman

Your fenders look nice, and the attachment method should be OK.   smiley_thumbsup

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2016, 09:29:23 PM
Your fenders look nice, and the attachment method should be OK.   smiley_thumbsup

??? Better put your glasses on! :D  I just used my 4½" angle grinder with a 80 grit disc to smooth out the old, chipped paint.  It ended up sort of melting the paint and left some uneven spots.  The gloss paint made it stand out even more.  I figure they will just get all scratched up so no need for a show-room finish :D

They are on there pretty stiff and should hold up.  I can stand on them.  Just need to put some anti-cease in the mounts so they don't rust in place.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!