iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Hillbilly Logging - log arch and dolly use

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 17, 2016, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-2 Tree

I going to add brakes to my log arch I have been pulling my log arch with rhino and when you get a big load going down hill it gets a little scary. I have a set of electric trailer brakes the Rhino is going to look funny with a brake controller but its getting one put on it .
I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

WV Sawmiller

I wouldn't have a clue how to begin to add brakes to mine or how I would even operate them. If I felt/saw I needed the extra drag I would just leave the rear dolly off. I often do that anyway especially on the steeper slopes.

One technique I have used and should use more is to lift the front end of the log, put a fulcrum under it, lower the log and bear down on front end or lift the rear to put the dolly under it and cinch it down. Then lift the front again and remove the fulcrum and tow the log. Depending on placement even a small fulcrum will sometimes allow me to lift the rear high enough to place the dolly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tjhammer

wv sawmiller

I got to ask does your goats and horse have legs longer on one side than the other,my land is like yours and my stock does better with one side longer
tj
hammer

Brad_bb

I want to build a tail dolly like Dakota and WV sawmiller.  I have a logrite arch for the front.  Where would you guys get the axle and wheels to use?  I've searched Craigslist locally and don't see anything.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kelLOGg

I used mobile home axles and wheel assemblies for both of my arches. You can get them almost free. There are pics in my gallery.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

azmtnman

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 22, 2016, 08:33:43 PM
I want to build a tail dolly like Dakota and WV sawmiller.  I have a logrite arch for the front.  Where would you guys get the axle and wheels to use?  I've searched Craigslist locally and don't see anything.
LOVIN' THIS THREAD! Stories of old--both entertaining and informative and your pics.

Brad, try the rear axle of an old front wheel drive car. Lots of times the hub assembly bolted on the axle. The Chevy Cavalier had axles like that.
If you're not a hillbilly fabricator like some of us, you can get spindles and the like at TSC.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: tjhammer on May 22, 2016, 05:23:38 PM
wv sawmiller

I got to ask does your goats and horse have legs longer on one side than the other,my land is like yours and my stock does better with one side longer
tj

Yeah and we can only grow square watermelons and pumpkins or they will roll away when they get about half grown.

My property rises over 450' on 43 acres. I tell folks if I could lay it flat I'd have 80 acres. I'm to the point now I check which side of the hill a deer is on before I decide to shoot it or not. If it means dragging him up out of the holler I just wait till another day when it is on my side of the hill.

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 22, 2016, 08:33:43 PM

Brad,

My dolly axle is schedule 80 pipe. I think 2". I bought my wheels at TSC. They have a 1" bearing so I bought 1" X 6" bolts and nuts. The welder lady evidently had a press and put the bolt head in the pipe, pressed 2 sides square till the bolt head stopped the press then she welded it. I put a 1" washer on the outside of the wheel shaft and double nut to keep the wheel tight on the axle. Outside width is 28". The cradle is just a couple of short pieces of angle iron welded into a V with holes drilled in the top of each side to connect the ratchet strap end hooks. A short tongue welded on to the axle will help keep the dolly running true.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

grouch

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 22, 2016, 02:05:03 PM
   I wouldn't have a clue how to begin to add brakes to mine or how I would even operate them. If I felt/saw I needed the extra drag I would just leave the rear dolly off. I often do that anyway especially on the steeper slopes.

[...snip...]

Your hills and hollers look a lot like mine. ;)

How about some runners to fit your rear dolly? That would add sideways stability going across slopes, maintain drag for up or down, and keep the log out of the dirt. Just pull 'em out from under the wheels when rolling is again appropriate.

That last photo with the log up high and crosswise would worry me on these hills. It looks too tippy. I'm chicken -- I like low and slow.

I made my log arch to be pulled behind my tractor and to hold logs as long as I anticipate needing to carry, but (and that's a big but) it has yet to be tested in the woods or on hills. It's gonna get a Kbeitz brake system before getting off of civilized land.

Brad_bb: Surely there's a salvage yard near you. Sometimes auto shops have junk spindles they're happy to give away. Not suited for going down the highway, but still strong. The guy who runs a salvage yard a few miles from me says he has no use (no market) for those space-save spares.
Find something to do that interests you.

Brad_bb

I can weld up anything I need to, TIG and MIG.  Just don't have access to the kind of "junk" I'd need to build from.  I'll check out the TSC route and see how much.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ozarkgem

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 22, 2016, 10:48:39 PM
I can weld up anything I need to, TIG and MIG.  Just don't have access to the kind of "junk" I'd need to build from.  I'll check out the TSC route and see how much.
[/quote
If you don't have access to junk maybe you should move. LOL
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Dakota

I bought two axle spindles that were made to fit into square tubing.  You can also get the 1 1/4" spindle that fits inside a pipe.  The matching hubs with bearings are also sold here: 

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-towing+trailer-axle-parts+trailer-spindles
Dave Rinker

trapper

A lot of mention on the forum lately of a company that the boss does not like because they make a knockoff of logrite tools who sponsor this forum we enjoy.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

Below are close ups of my dolly. May be a little grainy but hopefully you can see enough detail to see how it was built. The pneumatic tires and all hardware came from TSC. The pipe for the axle and angle iron were scrap.

You can see where the pipe used for an axle was pressed flat to hold the head of the 1"X6" bolt with a washer/spacer(by the lb TSC hardware).

This is the threaded end of the bolt where it comes through the bearing on the wheel.

This is the angle iron cradle the logs rests in. See holes drilled in for ratchet strap hook. The short piece of angle iron in the V helps keep it tight against the log. A short (1' or so) tongue would do the same thing and might work better.
Howard Green

gimpy

Quote from: Keith Shirley on March 21, 2016, 10:13:49 PM
            I built this arch with material from the local scrap yard and a couple spindles and tires from my brother.

Just finished my Arch (I will get pictures tomorrow, I promise) It looks so much like yours it's amazing. Just mounted the 3K winch and battery/box yesterday. The only thing left is to add wiring to charge the battery off the 4x4s.

Got ears out looking for an old (good steel) truck hood to use to skid them without dragging the wood.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

gimpy

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 22, 2016, 10:48:39 PMI can weld up anything I need to, TIG and MIG.  Just don't have access to the kind of "junk" I'd need to build from.  I'll check out the TSC route and see how much.

I'm always looking for old boat trailers. Picked up three over the last few years. That is my source for axles.
Gimpy old man

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: gimpy on May 25, 2016, 12:45:48 AM
Quote from: Brad_bb on May 22, 2016, 10:48:39 PMI can weld up anything I need to, TIG and MIG.  Just don't have access to the kind of "junk" I'd need to build from.  I'll check out the TSC route and see how much.

I'm always looking for old boat trailers. Picked up three over the last few years. That is my source for axles.
Gimpy,

I know this is mostly off road use but if Oregon is anything like WV you better keep good records for the source of the boat trailer axles if you ever intend to register and tag them. WV has made it difficult to register trailers and such without detailed origin records. I have turned down buying a couple of good looking trailers because they did not have a title and too much hassle to register as homemade.
Howard Green

sublime68charger

WV sawmiller,

thanks for chiming in on my atv arch thread and I read yours a few time's great work you are doing that is for sure.

regard's
Sublime.

gimpy

WV - We're pretty lucky here. No tags for such things. Don't even require one for my mobile Wood-Mizer. No tags on my splitter or my welding trailer either now that I think about it. Oregon is really friendly, if you don't need a job. Not bad for retirement.
Gimpy old man

gimpy

I wish I had the talent to create from scratch what you guys create. I only had to slightly modify mine. Still am.
Gimpy old man

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: gimpy on June 10, 2016, 04:09:42 AM
I wish I had the talent to create from scratch what you guys create. I only had to slightly modify mine. Still am.

Gimpy,

You need to check out Kbeitz threads for the creativity ideas. I might be able to draw off what I think will work but I am not mechanically inclined to weld and fabricate and such. If anything I will se something somebody else has made and figure out how to modify it to fit my needs. I guess as long as it works in the end the result is the same.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!