iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter sawing White Oak

Started by homesteader1972, March 17, 2016, 04:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Hello All,
I have a question for you all. I have a job coming up where the customer will have four large 36" white oak logs that he wants quartersawn.  He will have a skidsteer there for support. I know there are different ways to go about it, but what are you guys preferred way to QS on a LT40? I have only played around QS on smaller red oak, so this will be my first go on some big stuff. I see a lot of vids on youtube, so if one represents what you like feel free to link to it.
Thanks much
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Tree Dan

The other guys will tell you the best way to qs on the lt40.
That Oak will be heavy being green  :o
Have fun!
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

James MacDonald

I can not tell you about fitting on your WoodMiser but from experience last week end 36" is too big for a TK 2000.
My best trick is to draw several rings on the end of the log so when you cut off pieces, at a glance you know which Top should face up to the blade.
I am a fan of taking the top and bottom off, setting the aside and then with a square cant left, cutting in 2 pieces above and below the pith. I set those 2 chunks next to each other with my Magic Marker rings vertical and slicing 2 boards every pass.
I guess I could film it, if there was interest in my method. I love being able to retrieve 2 special QS boards every pass and setting them away into my "retail" pile.
Jimmy Mac
You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

customsawyer

I prefer the octagon method on logs of that size. If done right you can get a much higher percentage of quarter sawn lumber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cazzhrdwd

The only two ways I know are cutting the log into thirds, thereby making the middle easy to fully quarter, then flip up the two outer halves 90°.

The other way is quartering the log (chainsaw with a log that big). Then sawing back and fourth on the two flat sides of each quarter.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: customsawyer on March 17, 2016, 07:09:46 PM
I prefer the octagon method on logs of that size. If done right you can get a much higher percentage of quarter sawn lumber.

Same  :)

shows crayon marking as well as I chew down the last quarter.

For the big or annoying stuff *sometimes* splitting is just simpler and quicker first...

Well, I think so anyway.
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Larry

Quote from: James MacDonald on March 17, 2016, 06:46:57 PM
I can not tell you about fitting on your WoodMiser but from experience last week end 36" is too big for a TK 2000.

You just need to whittle it down a little before quarter sawing.  I have a 40" laying in the yard for next week but of course I'll have to take the chainsaw to it before it will even go on the mill.  Than I'll have to shotgun when on the mill but I'll be getting rid of sapwood.  Make the big throat work for you.

No matter how you saw it the best figure always comes when the band is parallel to the rays on both ends of the log.  Sometimes that won't happen so you tweak the log position.  Forget about the rings.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

Quote from: Larry on March 17, 2016, 09:20:23 PM
No matter how you saw it the best figure always comes when the band is parallel to the rays on both ends of the log.  Sometimes that won't happen so you tweak the log position.  Forget about the rings.

Is that how come rift sawn often has that neat ray figure in oak?
Boy, back in my day..

dboyt

I go along with the chain saw idea, but instead of halving the log I quarter it with the chain saw, then mill each quarter individually.  I use the technique demonstrated in Norwood's "How to Quarter Saw a Log" Youtube video.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!