iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used the wrong file..now what

Started by Langerz, March 17, 2016, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langerz

Hi All,

So I fitted a new 18" Carlton bar and chain to my freshened up Husky 55 and used it on the weekend to cut up a load of Jarrah. The chain is .325 and today while at work my mate gave me a 3/8 Stihl file to touch it up. He said it would be fine..and trusting me said "ok, no worries". Now after sharpening up my chain I thought I would just do a quick search to see whether it was the correct file or if it was suitable *why didn't I check before??*.

After reading up a bit it seems I should have used a 3/16 file instead of the 3/8. Where do I go from here? Do I just stick it out with the bigger file or do I grab a 3/16? I plan on cutting up a bit more wood tomorrow so I will see how the chain runs.

I'm still finding my feet in the world of chainsaws and daily maintenance so please be gentle! I will learn from my mistakes.

Cheers,

Matt

Jiles

If it cuts ok, I would use until dull.  Then I would use the correct size file and just pay close attention to the outside point of the tooth.
That's where most of the cutting takes place. Stop when it is nice and sharp and after a few sharpenings, over time, it will take original shape.
Satisfy needs before desires

old guy

Yup just get the correct file and carry on.

John

mad murdock

Wow. Just an observation, but a 3/8" file is twice as large as a 3/16" one. I certainly would not use the 3/8" anymore and as you have been advised by others, sharpen with correct size and carry on. Just make sure you didnt go too deep on the chain with the larger file and damage the chain strap(s). That could weaken the chain if more than a "scuff" mark is there.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mikey517

*** Deleted****

I read the post to fast!!!

Langerz

It seems my mate can't read properly, he said it was a 3/8 but this morning I went to check it and it's actually a 13/64!! Just slightly bigger than the 3/16.

sawguy21

That makes more sense, he gave you a file for 3/8 chain. :D It will be easy to clean up with the 3/16
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Yep, you're only 1/64" bigger than you should be. No big deal. It may not cut quite as well, but it will work. When the chain is dull, sharpen it with the correct sized file.

Are you using a file guide when you sharpen? Some folks can do a good job sharpening freehand (and some folks just THINK they can do a good job freehand), but a guide can really make things easier.

There are two styles of guides I like (and neither is expensive). Here's what I use (the file clips into a plate that holds the file at the right height in relation to the tooth:

The other is a roller guide that sits on your chain, rather than attaching to the bar. (Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a picture of that style.)

With either guide, the guide you use should be matched to the file size you are using.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sandsawmill14

i was wondering what the 3/8 file was for as i have never seen one i was guessing a bucksaw or feller or something :D :D :D
i use a 7/32 on the 3/8 chain as thats what everyone stocks around here if you are that close you will never know the difference after 2-3 tanks of gas :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Langerz

Quote from: John Mc on March 17, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
Yep, you're only 1/64" bigger than you should be. No big deal. It may not cut quite as well, but it will work. When the chain is dull, sharpen it with the correct sized file.

Are you using a file guide when you sharpen? Some folks can do a good job sharpening freehand (and some folks just THINK they can do a good job freehand), but a guide can really make things easier.

There are two styles of guides I like (and neither is expensive). Here's what I use (the file clips into a plate that holds the file at the right height in relation to the tooth:

The other is a roller guide that sits on your chain, rather than attaching to the bar. (Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a picture of that style.)

With either guide, the guide you use should be matched to the file size you are using.

Yep, I have the file guide. I chopped up a load of jarrah this morning and it did cut quite well, just noticed the chips were slightly smaller than during my last session of cutting. I will source a 3/16" shortly, even if there is only a 1/64" difference :)

Thanks everyone for the reponse, great bunch of folks on here.

Cheers,

Matt

mad murdock

That makes a whole lot more sense now. You will be good to go for sure.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!