iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big white oak and hickory leaners on a side hill

Started by Mountaynman, March 15, 2016, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaynman

couple of the big white oaks were butt hollow blew one up but not worth anything anyways landed the other in the top pile rest went well tried out the block face on a couple pine liked it went well gotta get my lady to the job for some pics still runnin a flip phone the hickory is splittin on the landing gonna wait to buck I guess still to wet to run the buggy hope everyone else had a gd day wish I had found this fourm earlier lots of gd discussions here
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

gspren

First off I'm not a logger by any means, just an old retired machinist that's been cutting firewood for 50 years and was hoping to get some good ideas on some leaning trees in my woods I'd like to get down for firewood. I really enjoy read this even though I don't understand half of what you guys are talking about but I believe I have decided to find someone that knows what they are doing to knock some down for me, I really respect what some of you are capable of.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandsawmill14

gspren  when cutting firewood i dont take all the care that me and the others described cutting leaners. if it splits thats that much i dont have to split ;D :D :D :D but if you are not comfortable cutting them dont. get someone that knows how to down them for you :) IMO it aint worth the risk of getting hurt or worse hurt_smiley 
when you cut trees for a living you have no choice but to cut them but you know the safest way just like any other skilled trade but i had a friend killed about 3 months ago was about 60 years old and was a 3rd gen logger he was working with his brother and nephew when it happened :( made the third one in about 6-8 years from our area :o there is no reason for a land owner to ever cut a dangerous tree they can all be dangerous but i think you guys know what i mean ;)  sorry for the rant :)
back to leaners ;D  one tree thats scares me to death to have to cut is a big old oak tree standing in a yard or pasture you know the type where the top is wider than the tree is tall :o i can never tell which way there gonna go so if i have to cut one i just pull it so i know for sure ;D  (hopefully)  ::) i had rather cut 10 leaners than one of them at least with the leaners you know which way to run :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

treeslayer2003

you fire wood guys scare me cuz your falling alot of dead sticks with dead limbs ready to fall and crown ya on the head. i like to drive them down with big green stick, y'all can't do that very often. look up and stay safe boys.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on March 21, 2016, 08:04:35 PM
you fire wood guys scare me cuz your falling alot of dead sticks with dead limbs ready to fall and crown ya on the head. i like to drive them down with big green stick, y'all can't do that very often. look up and stay safe boys.

x2 the only time i have been hit was on the left shoulder knocked me down but other than some bruising i was fine  :o  guess where my hard hat was when it happened ??? ??? ???  hanging on the throttle lever on 285 mf i was snaking out with :-[ smiley_dunce  :-[ the trees were cut the day before and the limb was still hanging waiting on me >:(

Mountaynman

gspren not tryin to do anything but learn here all of us that do it for a livin learn something every day if not we didn't work hard or long enough got 42 down and out to the field tday rain for 3 days now maybe a check next week life of bein in the woods doin what I love to do gd thing my helper is the same way we cant make a mess up here gonna go cut up in the rain tmr put my big mud farmer boots on happy loggin to all this wood is gd worth the extra effort

sandsawmill14

gspren i wasnt trying to be mean or anything :) just saying not to take any chances that you dont have to. any time you cut a tree its dangerous but some more so than others :)

mountaynman  its nice to get in timber like that aint it smiley_thumbsup :)

Mountaynman

we were shot tday anyone that pulls cable for a livin knows that when u r goin slider to slider with a 10 ft choker u got somethin the pine here is 12 -1500 ft to a tree filled the buggy with 4 trees today most are skidded from the top wich sucks but 1 or 2 at a time just hope the rattlers don't wake up soon south slope one of the few places in ny that has rattlers

sandsawmill14

better watch for them rattlers :o the last log/saw job i done i took the mill to the woods and sawed the timber instead of hauling/handling it twice :) worked out pretty good but  anyway i got to the mill 1 morning and there was a copperhead almost 4' long laying between the log deck and mill :o they were everywhere on that job :( didnt have another easy minute for the rest of the job after finding that big one >:( i couldnt hardly work for looking for snakes :-\ :-[ :D :D i dont know why a big snake is scarier than a little one but they are :D :D :D

gspren

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 22, 2016, 06:35:56 PM
gspren i wasnt trying to be mean or anything :) just saying not to take any chances that you dont have to. any time you cut a tree its dangerous but some more so than others :)

mountaynman  its nice to get in timber like that aint it smiley_thumbsup :)

I didn't take it wrong, I appreciate the concern, 15 years ago I would have just cut them and hoped for the best, not today. Aside from a bum ankle that doesn't let me run joining this forum has opened my eyes to all the ways to get hurt cutting wood. Now I wear a helmet and chaps and if I don't like the looks of a leaner I'll let it stand. I wish I knew a local logger but there aren't any/many near me.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!