iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bee's in the tree

Started by drobertson, March 14, 2016, 07:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Had the TSI guys working on a 12 acre stand, yesterday Willy mentioned a big white oak with an active hive, I said yea I know the tree, went out today, and sure enough they were already busy, crappy cell phone so you can't see them, but they are there, 

Been thinking we would start some hives, just have not got around to it,,  seems there's always something going on,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ljohnsaw

Wow, that is quite a tree! :o  Wish we had stuff like that out here.  Hmm, could be interesting when you cut that one down!

What does TSI stand for?  Tree Surveying Idiot? :D    Never mind, I found the dictionary...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

I guess you found it,, Timber Stand Improvement,,  No this tree is there for the duration, as is most all den trees,, per acre there are very few,, this stand of 12 acres has three known den trees, this is the largest,, you know TSI seems wasteful at first, but after years of stunting, it's easy to see the benefits of equal spacing thinning,,  mostly maples(soft) hickory and gum are being thinned, as is the oak declining reds and just a few whites, they have just been to crowded for too long,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ljohnsaw

I meant no disrespect.  I've seen TSI in quite a few posts and just couldn't figure it out.  I finally decided to find the dictionary again.  I always think it is in the "toolbox" - its a tool :D 

My property is super crowded. Forty years of nothing done - quite "wild".  Lots of dead oak (probably 100' tall, 14" DBH) that were shaded out from Aspen and Incense Cedar.  There are also tall dead pines and firs that look to be either shaded and/or lightening struck.  I'm not doing a wood lot or timber growth so after my cabin is done, I'll be clearing the firewood out and see what's left after that.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

It's good to leave wildlife trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It's good to see you leaving den/bee trees David.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

DR
I wish I could find a bee tree.  I have been trying to trap some bees and had 12 traps out last year and no luck.  I built my mill cause I was having a hard time scrounging enough board to build bee hives(for free :D)  If you purchased queens, you could trap out a good start to bee keeping with out getting rid of the bees in the tree.  Some guys get three or four hive started a year for year after year buy just traping some off of trees like that.
I have never seen a wild hive but no longer go to the woods with out looking now.
Cheers
gww

Chuck White

Used to be an old law here (don't know about nowadays) that if you could trail bees to a tree, you could cut that tree and harvest the honey and bees, if you wanted to, regardless who's property it was on.

Don't know as I'd try it now though!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

D,

If those are bees that survived the winter and not just a fresh swarm I'd let the local USDA agent know. I think they are looking for pest resistant bees that can survive the winters. Used to be that was common but with mites and such now very few feral colonies make it through the winter.

When I was a kid if you found a bee tree you'd carve your initials in it and it was supposed to be your property. I would think now the laws would say it belongs to the landowner. If they were on my property that is how I would feel too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Upper

I have caught about 7 swarms this spring,so far.Orange bloom is just beginning so am sure to get more.
  I am filling old woodenware and plan to sell them,so someone else can try to keep them alive through the year.
I used to have over a thousand colonies and produce honey by the barrels but now I have my sights on being a Sawyer.

Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

gww

upper
In Mo peach blossoms at the end and apple not started and dandilion just this week.  I have about 15 swarm traps out.  I had about 12 out last year and got nothing.  Just using lemon grass oil and have no bees yet though getting a nuc this year.  I have a home built mill and my goal from this point forward is to be a professional hobbiest :).
Cheers
gww

Upper

Pretty easy for me to catch swarms as I farm 500 acres of citrus and have about 700 hives within a mile.Freeking swarms everywhere this year.Back in the late 60's early 70's we bought mill ends to make our own equipment.I think I could make up a few boxes every year,get them filled and sell them.I have no desire to run bee's anymore..............Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

gww

upper
QuoteI have no desire to run bee's anymore..............

Thats why I want to be a professional hobiest,  I had a real job for 30 years and am convinced that I never want another one.  Being a job takes the fun out of hard work. 
Cheers
gww

timberking

Cool looking tree.  I am exploring the bee world now.  Had a Mann Lake outlet open nearby.  Everything about bees there.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

LaneC

Getting 4 nuc's in the morning. I will concentrate on 1 hive per year. 3 are for other folks. If I can keep 1 hive a year alive for a full year, I will feel I have accomplished a great deal. I usually have a standing agreement with Mother Nature to "donate" at least $120.00 a year to her fund by letting at least 1 set of bees swarm and do what they will. :) :)
Man makes plans and God smiles

gww

lanec
To bad I don't live in Mississippi.  I might have a chance with one of my traps :).
gww

LaneC

Come on down. I have a mushed queen from last year(in a small bottle of alcohol) and Lemongrass oil. Maybe we can catch some. I have always wanted to try catching some.
Man makes plans and God smiles

JBlain

I love the old white oak legacy trees.  I will have to take some photos of some of ours.  Biggest is growing on limestone soil and was open grown for a long time in a pasture.  I dropped a hollow ash last year due to EAB along a fence line and was great ed by hundreds of European hornets.  I got stung many times and the pain and fatigue lasted for almost a week.  We burned out the hive that night with gas. 
Josh

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I like that pic, Thanks
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gww

I finaly after two years of trying caught two little swarms on 5/7/2016 and 5/8/2016 in my swarm traps.  I guess it is possible.
gww

coxy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 14, 2016, 11:22:37 PM
D,

If those are bees that survived the winter and not just a fresh swarm I'd let the local USDA agent know. I think they are looking for pest resistant bees that can survive the winters. Used to be that was common but with mites and such now very few feral colonies make it through the winter.

When I was a kid if you found a bee tree you'd carve your initials in it and it was supposed to be your property. I would think now the laws would say it belongs to the landowner. If they were on my property that is how I would feel too.
there is still a few old old timers around here that live by them same rules when I was about 8-9 my dad put his name in a tree its still there but the bees are long gone  last Friday I walked a job I did 4 years ago to see how things was growing and the bee tree we found then still has bees in it so it must be a big hive the tree is about 4ft at the stump goes up about 20ft then there is 3 crotch limbs that are at least 20-28in round and 60+ft tall and one limb has the hive in it its in an ash tree at the edge of a 50+ac field 4  people has tried to find the tree but no luck so far and the LO doesn't want it cut down till the tree dies witch I don't blame him

SwampDonkey

This is my bee tree,  a sugar maple. But the bees never survived because they were too late in the year to make much honey. It was September wen they arrived to the tree. Year before they were in the flu.  ::)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

never seen them that close to the ground

Thank You Sponsors!