iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Wood ??

Started by g_man, March 14, 2016, 06:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I got some unknown wood in my wood shed. I know when I put it in green more than a year ago  I thought it was soft maple. But as it dried the end grain turned yellowish and waxy looking. Now being dry it still looks like maple but the bark is very tight to the wood. Usually it is ready to fall off of soft maple. It is also very very light in weight. It seems lighter than aspen even. Every piece is full of sap sucker holes too. Any ideas ? This is northern Vermont and we have mostly northern hard wood mixes or spruce fir forest types. Thanks I am clueless

gg

landscraper

Well I'm a few hundred miles south of you and if that was in my woodshed I would think it was hickory based on the bark and the sapsucker holes.  The light weight and waxy endgrain has me scratching my head though, plus I think at least some of the hickories don't range that far North.

Could it be basswood/linden?
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

curdog

Could it be cucumber magnolia?

GAB

I'm just S of Burlington, VT and I have a lot of that wood.
It's Basswood.
Burns great, but does not last long.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

g_man

Oh Basswood - Thanks. For some reason I thought it was really white like popple and not yellowish. I have only found one here so we don't have many. In 2014 Asplundt came thru and trimmed the power line. I picked it all up for firewood. I think that is how it got in my wood shed. Thanks again.

gg

Ron Scott

Yes to basswood. A light wood, burns fast, low on Btu's for wood heat.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!