iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite XL-14 bar bolt stripped?

Started by Walt, March 14, 2016, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt

I have 2 threads left on the end of the stud/bolt holding the bar on this old Homelite. I washered it out to grap the 2 threads thats left. Anyone replaced one of these studs. I think the whole saw gotta be dissembled to replace. I bought it in the late 70's and wondering how big a PITA its going to be.
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

DelawhereJoe

Have you thought about just getting the next smaller die for it and recutting the threads...it could save you some headache, in the event it doesn't work you would have to replace it anyway.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Jhenderson

Replace the stud. If you can't find one. Buy a long bolt and cut it off using just the threads. Use red Loctite to secure the stud.

Walt

I'm pretty sure there's a square head on the stud that fits in a square retention pocket inside the saw. Its not a stud but a bolt. I'm not positive but I think there's no threads in the hole the bolt passes through from the inside out. I've been looking around and most say the saw has to be torn down to get at it. Regards Walt
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

dougand3

Here is the IPL for an XL-2. It shows a square head bolt. I like the die for a next smaller nut idea before dis-assembly.
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/homelitexl2.pdf
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Jhenderson

A smaller die is not likely to work. He's using the first threads now. He'll never get a smaller die over those threads. Tear it down and fix it right.

Gearbox

check with chainsawer on the sidebar . one of are sponsers
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

Well ,you're kind of in a pickle,between a rock and a hard place in a manner of speaking .Even if you had the bolt stripped to the nub you'd have aprox.333" left .The major diameter of both 5/16" and 8 MM is around .3125 so you're still 20 thou over the major diameter .Even if you could get a chase die over the stub and it works you're down to a smaller nut that won't hold much .

I went to one of my storage trailers where I have a few dozen old saws and found some series of Homelite of the XL design ,59 cc,whatever that model is .It has 3/8" 24 studs.It looks to me you'd have to get into the oil tank to replace the bar stud .

undee70ss

Pic shows a Homelite XL, probably 1980s. (26cc) . Post model and serial no to be sure. Threads are 1/4-20. New bar bolts are still available. Try here
http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/apps/search?q=69195

GAB

I believe that the saw shown in the first photo was available with either a 10" 12" and 14" bar.  With the 12" roller nose bar those saws were great for limbing small stuff.
They were $100.00 saws, and I wore out two of 'em and never striped the bar stud.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Walt

This saw was purchased at a store close out for less than 80.00. The store was Handy Andy's. Its been what I call my mud saw for the last 2 years. Were homesteading a piece of forest property and this saw has been cutting roots on stumps I'm pulling out. Its been through hell and back. I'm still using it with the washers but I keep the nut a tad loose to keep it going. I will rebuild this saw when I get done with this project, its been an old friend for a long time. It runs and idles perfectly. I wish I'd bought 2 of them. Walt

Walt

Quote from: undee70ss on March 18, 2016, 07:20:44 PM
Pic shows a Homelite XL, probably 1980s. (26cc) . Post model and serial no to be sure. Threads are 1/4-20. New bar bolts are still available. Try here
http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/apps/search?q=69195

Thanks undee70ss, I ordered a bolt and really appreciate your help, Walt

Walt

New bar chain bolt installed. To clean this all up I used WD40 and compressed air. Looks like new except the bar wear. Thanks again for the parts link and diagram to this project. This little saw is back in action. Regards Walt

undee70ss

Glad everything worked out for you. They are great saws for the small stuff. Have several myself.

Thank You Sponsors!