iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moinks & Butt

Started by Coffee_Creek, March 13, 2016, 05:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

Decided to smoke up some Moinks and a butt for some pulled pork.
I smoked the Moinks on the Yoder YS640 pellet smoker and the Boston Butt on the new Drum smoker, prepped the meatballs by wrapping each one with a 3rd of a strip of bacon and sticking a toothpick through them then sprinkling rub on top, had the pellet smoker pre-heated and the frog matt in place.

Moinks going on

Next I prepped the butt by trimming it up and rubbing it down then wrapped it with plastic wrap and put in fridge over night, I'll smoke it tomorrow morning.

Moinks ready for the hot pepper jelly glaze.

Glaze all set and ready, humm, looks like a few came up missing :)

Next morning the butt goes on the drum smoker.

All closed up with the thin blue smoke going.

Hooked up the CyberQ control, I love this thang!

IT is around 170 and ready to pan to catch the juice

Done after a long 14 hours of cooking, this one had a longer stall of any I've smoked.

Pulled and ready to eat!
It was tender, juicy with good smoke.

Thanks for looking!

WV Sawmiller

CC,

Looks real good but what is a Moink?

At first I thought somebody was eating chipmunks. I figured they'd taste about like squirrel but would sure take a lot to feed a family :D.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Coffee_Creek

A Moink is a meatball (beef) wrapped in bacon, beef=moo, bacon from pig=oink, = moink, I didn't come up with it but, they sure are good eating :laugh:

sandsawmill14

never haerd of that  either but it looks and sounds good :) smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

drobertson

Those moinks look tasty, never had thought of this combination, will give a go of it soon enough,, that temp controller looks pretty fancy,,high tech, nothing beats knowing what the temps are while doing some multiple hour cooking,, I have the digital meat probe,  it is used with poultry more than the pork, the pork is tested by time in and the finger tip, its pretty easy to tell when done, poultry not always so easy,,at least for me,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Coffee_Creek

The controller works great, has a fan that supplies air to the fire as needed to control the temp, I love sitting around a smoker with a cold drink but, when you don't have 12-14 hours to tend a brisket or boston butt it will control it for you.
The meatballs are easy and they are hard to stop eating :D
Just wrap a cheap frozen meatball with bacon, i use 1/3 strip, of thin cut so it will crisp, stick a toothpick through to hold it, wet with cooking oil and sprinkle with rub, i use the rub that i put on ribs and pulled pork, smoke around 325 till bacon is almost ready, apply a pepper jelly with about 10-15 minutes left, when jelly has glazed they're ready, make plenty of extra, they go fast.

Thank You Sponsors!