iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jms on road log loader trailers

Started by logman81, March 13, 2016, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey everyone I'm giving thought to maybe trying to buy a small log loader trailer to haul firewood and occasional saw logs off my wood lots and possibly from other sources of wood to. I know a few members have them on here and was wondering how they are as far as lifting capacity and durability and does the company stand behind the machine.  I have a older one ton dump truck with break control that would be pulling it. Not sure what the dealer will quote me but are they worth the money? I seem to always have a problem with moving the wood out of the landings when I need it to do to having to rely on on other people.
Precision Firewood & Logging

jocco

My opinion: (assuming you mean a tow behind small trailer with loader)??? I really don't get them at the cost of one you could not make any money on any distance. I think a wheeler or triaxle would do better, BUT the cost of keeping wheeler on the road is horrible compared to the trailer thing. BUT if you go over 10000 lbs you need CDL A and there are some laws and insurance on them compared to say a snowmobile trailer. Some guys have them and they are a good rig for dub around stuff. (those people are more hobby type).  I would look long and hard at the cost vrs hiring a truck or is it worth getting your own truck?
You may check out but you will never leave

repmma

I've seen this 10,000lb trailer cdl deal before.

Right out of Maine CDL Manual...Under Maine law, you must have a CDL
to operate any of the following vehicles:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross
combination weight rating of 26,001 or more
pounds, provided the gross vehicle weight rating
or gross weight of the vehicle or vehicles being
towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

• Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 or more pounds or any such
vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000
pounds gross vehicle weight rating or gross
weight.

Simply, only over 26001 lbs truck or combined truck and trailer greater than 26001 do you need CDL.

For Maine at least.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

coxy

think its in all the states that's why its a federal license  :-\

jd540b

Don't you already have a small single axle log truck?

OH logger

I have always thought that a skidloader or other type loader is much handier and a ton cheaper. and you can haul more wood on the trailer cause your not lugging that loader around everywhere you go. plus look at all you can do with a skidloader, never have to worry about the logs being out of reach, etc... but everyones situation is different but they always seemed to rich for my blood
john

woodmills1

Any towed vehicle over 10,000 lbs you need medical card, inspection on towed vehicle, flares, extra fuses, first aid kit, fire ext  and seat belt worn.  Any vehicle over 26,000 you need CDL B.  Any combo over 26,000 you need CDL A but not tractor trailer or air brakes unless so out fitted.  I have a blue ox at 14,000 lbs and a CDL A. My insurance is way below a log truck and I can haul nearly the same as a small log truck and still have the dump for other uses.  This was and still is the right choice for me in a making money non hobby situation.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ohio_Bill

I have an Anderson M140 1300 lb full extension capacity. Bought it used and have had it a couple years. The trailer has a GVW of 14000 lbs. I use it as a forwarder behind the tractor more than it being used on the road. I find it very handy but would have had a hard time justifying the price of a new one.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

s grinder

Hey Logman81, I thought you bought a single axle International grapple truck a while back.

s grinder

Ohio_Bill,Nice trailer,Brownwood Sales in Ohio sells those trailers.I think they start at 23k,are they trouble free?

Ohio_Bill

Yes the trailer and loader have been very reliable. The previous owner had one grease fitting on the boom that would not take grease and I had to replace a bushing. Parts were available and reasonable.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

repmma

Quote from: coxy on March 13, 2016, 05:31:26 PM
think its in all the states that's why its a federal license  :-\

Kinda figured as much but I've seen to many people say over 10k trailer is CDL and I never checked so I figured Id play it safe.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

logman81

Hey lots of feed back thanks. Here the cdl is combined weight of 260001lbs. I'll try to answer the questions the best I can so here we go! Yes I did purchase a small log truck and it was really nice being able to haul logs whenever I wanted. I sold it recently do to needing a small skidder to harvest the wood from jobs. And also all the cost of operating it was higher than expected. A skid loader is not going to work for me as I would have to constantly move it any time I wanted to haul logs pain in the neck trust me I've done it that way before.  Hiring a guy with a truck isn't the solution either cause its nearly impossible to find someone reliable to do it when I need to and I could do it cheaper with a trailer. I'm not talking hauling wood a hundred miles here but like a distance of twenty or so miles.  All my jobs are pretty close to home base. Yes the cost is probably high but I have the truck and the medical card already. And I'm not limited to hauling just logs for myself either.  There is a guy the next town over from me that has one and uses it all the time. He had a log truck before buying one to.

logman81

Holy cow! Dealer quoted me a $31,0000 price for loader, trailer and power unit. Forget that!

logman81

That price was for the larger trailer more than what my truck can pull. The right trailer is quite a bit cheaper than that and better suited to my needs.

OneWithWood

Regardless of the size of the trailer (3 axle vs. 2 axle) get the largest loader - you won't regret it.
I purchased the JMS 10,000 pound trailer (3 axle ) with the Farma 51D loader in 2004 for just under $20,000.  The shipping added another $2,500 to the total.
My only regret comes when I purchase the annual Indiana road tags for around $350.  I only haul for customers a few times a year but I use it constantly in the log yard and for staging logs for the mill.  Many times I wished I would have spent the additional dollars for the 65D loader.  I have loaded some large heavy logs by scoothching them up to the mill and lifting the log up one end at a time but it is iffy and the loader is definitely maxed out.  Plus it takes a lot of time.
On the road I haul it with a 1 ton F350 6.0.  In the yard I move it around with a JD4520 utility tractor.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

logman81

It's a two axle with the 170 loader and 9 hp honda. Are they really worth 26k?

logman81

Are the patu loaders any good guy has one he is looking to sell that I could adapt to a equipment trailer.

ahlkey

I have a custom Log trailer with a Metavic loader that has proven to be cost effective & productive in moving small Sawlog loads.   For Pulp and high volume loads it is just more productive for the business to hire out the trucking. If I had to do all the trucking it would difficult to get a lot of volume done on time.  I had the truck already and the Metavic was purchased used.  Overall, I have less than 1/2 the cost of other comparable trailers and it can haul a lot more....It is also handy to have around the sawmill and farm. 

78NHTFY

logman81--I have the PATU 525. Works fine for a quasi-hobby sawyer like me, and the price was right! The company that took PATU over is Kesla Oy, from Finland.  Here are some pics from their brochure.  I expect they are pretty expensive; they have a dozen or more size/models available.

Just bought some O rings/sleeves to rebuild the hyd. valve assembly: cost $ 102 :o :o :o.  I figure about $ 0.55 in plastic/rubber!  Good luck with your search.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

logman81

The patu loader is used so might be a good bargain over new if it's in good shape.

logman81

Anyone know much about patu loaders?

logman81

Ok so the model is a 597 patu loader,  can anyone give me spec or info on them?

logman81

No one owns a patu loader on here?

Woodhauler

Quote from: jd540b on March 13, 2016, 05:36:15 PM
Don't you already have a small single axle log truck?
I thought that too!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Thank You Sponsors!