iDRY Vacuum Kilns

computer freezes up,failure to respond,screen goes black

Started by 47sawdust, March 13, 2016, 09:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I'm having intermittent problems with my laptop.It is a Dell precision M4400 running Windows 10.Here are the symptoms.
Screen freezes up.

Mozilla firefox failure to respond.

Screen goes black.
These don't all happen at the same time.I have done a restore as well as a complete refresh and re-install of Windows 10.Sometimes I have to force shutdown which I think is not good.

Any help would be appreciated? Advice on repair or replace.This computer is protected by MaCafee and is used to check weather,sports,email,FF,youtube,CL and ebay.

Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ianab

Common cause of that is the CPU heatsink getting clogged with dust. Laptops have very small and fine finned heatsinks that eventually clog up with fine airborne dust.

Here is a video that goes though swapping out the CPU on that model, which doesn't actually look too bad on that model. You only have to remove the bottom cover and you can see the fan / heatsink assembly. Remove the fan and you will find a big dust bunny clogging the copper cooling fins beside it. Brush and blow the dust out, then reassemble and see how it goes.

If you are really keen you can remove the heat sinks and heat transfer pipes, and replace the thermal paste on top of the chips themselves. But if the cooling fins are clogged up, I'd simply clean those first as that's probably all that's wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2VtgkL2Knk
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

I would also recommend to be conscious on what kind of surface you use your laptop on. It needs to stay cool. Having it on your "Lap" or a pillow, or something soft is not a good way to use it. Even a solid hard surface can limit heat dissipation. I have a small grate I sit mine on. It is actually a baking cooling rack. Its only about a half inch high, but it keeps air flow under the computer. They make devices that you sit the laptop on that have usb powered fans. I never liked them because they take up a usb port.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

47sawdust

Thanks for the replies.The laptop does sit on the fan cooled surface.I will do some housekeeping on the CPU as suggested and see how that goes.

I just watched the video,thanks a lot.I am a little out of my element here and the video was excellent.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

If the heat sinks are already dirty, no airflow from the fan. But I think using a usb powered fan to create airflow to remove heat caused by using a usb powered fan is kinda, circular.  :)

47sawdust

Jeff,
That's a very good point.I won't have a chance to open the critter up until tomorrow.
Mick

47sawdust

I opened up the back of my laptop today and yes there were some dust bunnies in there,got that squared away so it should run cooler.Thanks for the help.
Mick

Jeff