iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a pine mantel

Started by sandsawmill14, March 12, 2016, 11:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

ok i have to build a mantle for my mil all of the trim and beams in the house are pine with walnut stain. i  have logs that have been down about 6 months how long will it take to dry a 5" by 9" syp slab ??? it will be 3 1/2-4" thick when finished but i thought i would saw it heavy so i would have plenty to be able to plane it square and straight. does this sound like a good idea ??? is there another wood that would match the color and grain pattern close enough to keep from having to set the pitch as i dont really know how high the temp would have to be since it is above a fireplace it will get a lot hotter than normal trim or other indoor projects normally would ???
i love projects like this ::) and they pay so good  :) this one will pay 1 christmas dinner if i can get it done in time ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bkaimwood

When is "done in time", most importantly? You said how long to dry, but I don't know if we are air drying, kiln drying, or hopefully both? Overseeing to trim later is a great idea...I have no experience with syp, none here..but I sawed some spruce beams early last summer, and resawed them last week...I couldn't believe how dry they were, all air dried...I'd guess 12-14%...and 1 10x10, I'd guess late teens, not so bad... I suspect syp dry time is similar?
bk

sandsawmill14

want to have it finished by christmas :)  the biggest thing im wondering about is setting the pitch in the pine i have no idea how high the temp would have to be to keep it from running out after it get hot over the fire place ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bkaimwood

bk

bkaimwood

180f is the really safe number... If that's it an issue after that, someone has some chimney/fireplace issues...
bk

Thank You Sponsors!