iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

one less raccoon

Started by thecfarm, March 12, 2016, 09:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Pumpkin,the wife's dog,treed a raccoon. Just came in from finishing it off.  ;D Had to get out the big light,3-100 foot extension cords got me to the tree. She was having a fit!!! She has no courage,at all. I was trying to hold the gun and light.  ::) We have done this before,it does not work. Have to use the big light. This time I still had to use the flashlight to see the sights. I need more practice.   ::)  I was able to grab Pumpkin and get her in the house before the big coon hit the ground. I just might keep her after all.  ;D Into the OWB it went.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I had 3 outside the house 2 days ago, Eating sunflower seeds on the ground.
A week ago I had a possum out there.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

into the owb ??? thats not how we do it  :o better not leave it to long unless you like it extra crispy ;D  we use the oven but let me know how it turns out :)  food1 digin1 digin_2 :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

kensfarm

Mine usually show up in order.. skunks first.. then raccoons.. then the possums.. they eat the cat food.  We'd also shoot the raccoons cause they ate all the chickens.. I've seen a momma coon w/ 5 little ones last spring..  funny to see them lined up around the food bowl. 

r.man

I almost hit a Fisher on Thursday on a paved road, had to brake hard and the animal dropped what it was carrying in its mouth. Turned out to be a raccoon head. I am very glad Fishers don't get very big.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Kbeitz

Yep... The coons is out...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Haven't seen a skunk yet, but there is scent in the air once in a while.

Skunks, Coons & 'Possums = SSS!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Chuck White on March 13, 2016, 05:24:18 PM

Skunks, Coons & 'Possums = SSS!

You all do what you think is best. :)
For me, if God's animals don't make a pain of themselves, They can do what they want.
I do like to see them around.

This one broke the window. :D :D So I shooed him away. :D :D He went to find a girl friend.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Ray, I meant to ask you how were you deer doing this winter.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

An off year on the deer. I sell course 14,a cow grain really, at the store,most customers are surprised when I ask,how many deer you feeding?  ;D I use the same grain. I try to tell them to spread it out to keep the fighting down.All the customers say the same,they came late and not as many. I've only seen 14 a few times. Last year,that was common,every day or night. The lack of snow and warm temps have changed thier habits.
Raccoons need to be thinned out before I get Brenda her chicks. We have not had chickens for 4-5 years. I got tired of fighting all of God's creatures that was dining out at The C Farm.  :( I had a bunch of chickens and batems too. A few ducks and geese too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I know what you're saying about some of Gods creatures, Some you have to send to God. :D :D
Set up the chicken house so you can lock it up at night. That's what I had to do with mine.
Then I would let them out in the day time, fence in, If I let them run loose a fox would come and have lunch.
Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

All of the critters around here can do what they want, as long as they're not destroying anything, or threatening, or wanting to move in under the house.

The only exception is coyotes, they aren't tolerated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

coons like chicken dinner,  deer like to browse anything, bear are few and far between, skunks always near by, the worst of them has to be the deer, as far as damage goes for us,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

deer and coon are our biggest problems here to but we have an coyote every once in a while i killed oen in the yard with only the porch light one night about midnight it was only 12 yards from the back porch when i shot it. it shot it through the kitchen window with a 30-06  :o and you talk about 3 scared girls  :D :D :D they jumped up every light in the house came on and i was in the doghouse for 2 days  :D but i stay in there so much i have it fixed up pretty comfortable now :D :D :D :D

sandsawmill14

far as the coons they can be a pain but i dont mind the to much because i love to eat them baked or bbq so i dont have to hunt anymore just wait and they will come ;D :)

Magicman

Our worst pest at the Cabin are Armadillos.  Those rascals dig everywhere.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

Mm we had a cur dog that kept them killed out around the house but he died last fall so I guess we will have to wait and see if they become a problem :)

redprospector

About 15 years ago I had to remove a wall on our house while doing some pretty extensive repairs. Couldn't get it torn out, and put back in 1 day so I put up some plastic to keep the wind out...but evidently not the coons.  ::)
Woke up about 1 am to some noise in the living room, it was a big bore coon sitting on the coffee table having a snack of some things that had been left there. I tried to run him off, but he was ready to fight. So I dispatched him with a 100 grain broad head...yeah, that didn't go over so well.
I like having God's creatures around, I just won't let some of them hang out too close to the house.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

red thats the way i feel one passing by is but if he moves in he gotta go fudd-smiley

timberlinetree

Those are some nice pic! When I was young I supported wild life( big truck,concerts,keg parties) :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Kbeitz

This fella was in my shop...
I looked him over and let him go on his way...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 16, 2016, 06:24:24 AM
This fella was in my shop...
I looked him over and let him go on his way...

I guess you don't have a garden and grow corn. :o
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

terry f

I have to agree with Peter Drouin, live and let live, to a point.

thecfarm

sandsawmill14

one that young would be fine musteat_1 food2 food6

Peter Drouin

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 17, 2016, 12:14:25 AM
one that young would be fine musteat_1 food2 food6

Does it taste like chicken? :D :D :D :D :D steve_smiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

no its dark meat closer to ground hog  ;D (ground hogs day kind not sausage ;) ) :D :D :D :D

DaveinNH

Several years ago we thought it was fun to go out at night and check for the flying squirrel's in our trees by spotlight. Then I found out they were living in our house. The way I found out was rather interesting. My wife was laying next to me sound asleep around 3:00 am and one of them got into the main part of the house and proceeded to walk across her face. Lots of bad words and it doesn't seem physically possible for someone to get out of bed that quickly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

sandsawmill14

Peter Drouin

The things you southern guys will eat, Or nothing you won't eat. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sandsawmill14

so far i've only found 2 things i wont eat crawfish and chittlins ;D some folks love them but not for me :) :D :D :D

but im sure there is some critters i aint tried yet ;) :D :D :D

sprucebunny

It's porkypine hunting season for me. Big problem not having snow to track them in.

They have killed several hemlocks around my house by eating All the branches and have taken the tops out of 2 hemlocks right next to my porch ruining my shade in the summer.

I bought several 36" lengths of round metal air duct and bungee corded them to my favorite hemlocks....

GRRR !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sandsawmill14

now see theres a critter i have never tried to eat  :-\ but maybe someday ;D :D :D :D
sprucebunny i didnt know they ate trees maybe you will get them killed bac fudd-smiley

timberlinetree

The fisher cats have the porcupines under control. It's the certain humans that make it tough to live around here!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandsawmill14

we are lucky with the human problems here i have 2 neighbors that are about 1/2 mile east of me that are fine folks and have lived here all my life :) and to the west its a 1-1 1/2 mile to the next neighbor other than my uncle ;D other than that its me,dad,my brothers and sister ;D ;D although a passer by did call the law to me a couple weeks back because we had a horse stuck in the for 2 days :o >:( so i waited for the deputy to get here and took him to the horse in question and ran him out of the mud and he said the horse didnt even look stuck when he walked up ::) what it was we have a belgian mare that we have to keep in the barn because she will walk through a fence like it aint there :o i dont know how many fence post she has broken off >:( but anyway she had kicked a board off the wall and the horse in question was standing in knee deep mud with his head trough the wall helping her eat ;D :D  so i told the deputy that he would find the horse there every day till the mud dried up about 5:00 till he got full or could reach anymore of the hay :D they have rolls of hay in the pasture so i dont know why the horse does it but he does ???  i told the deputiy there was a 140+ plus acres here with horses in3 different pastures and asked where he wanted to look next  ;D and as it was after dark he said he was good no need to look further :D :D :D and he would note it at the dispatch office if they got another call that he was just eating :D :D :D for the record the lady that called had a front personalized license plate that said SOB and i that that was very fitting ;)

thecfarm

One less one again. This one was first thing in the morning. I figured she had something. I waited for it to get light out so I could see the sights of the gun.

sprucebunny

One less porkypine !
Just shot it out of the hemlock that's right next to my porch. Had to get a bigger gun to finish it off ! Can't believe it managed to climb past the round pipe  :o
Need a better spotlight...this one was not handy with a shotgun...

Shotgun

Yay, sprucebunny!    :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

sprucebunny

Thanks, Norm ! I figured you would like knowing there was one less of them prickly, tree eating things.
I've come a long way from taking them sledding  :D

Thank You Sponsors!