iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time Change

Started by Chuck White, March 12, 2016, 07:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Just a reminder!

Don't forget to move your clocks ahead one hour before you go to bed tonight.

Daylight Savings time begins and 2:00AM tomorrow!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

it early this year isn't it  :-\

GAB

Quote from: coxy on March 12, 2016, 07:34:57 AM
it early this year isn't it  :-\

If I'm correct it is supposed to be the second sunday in March and the latest that can be is the 14th.  If we hadn't had 29 days in Feb., this year, it would be the latest.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

drobertson

I thought it seemed earlier this year too, but in any case, I kinda wish we never had to fool with the setting up, and dropping back,, It seems the mornings are good and bright, and the evenings last long enough, just my thoughts, there are lots of advantages to later sunsets for many folks,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dan_Shade

I like daylight savings time
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

These time changes are now a way of life for most of us.  We can like it or lump it, but we still have to live with it.  Personally, I am very OK with it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

I'm just excited the clock will be right in my truck again  ;D

coxy

drobertson

Quote from: sandhills on March 12, 2016, 10:17:42 AM
I'm just excited the clock will be right in my truck again  ;D
you know,, You know how to fix it back right?  Right?  or is it, deep down you don't care?  ;D  which could mean, it could mean you wish it stayed the same all the time?   :D :D :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brian_Weekley

There are many things I miss about living in Michigan.  However, one of the biggest was living on the western edge of the Eastern time zone.  It was like having DST x2 during the summer and you could still see until almost 11 PM!  I'm sure Jeff knows exactly what I'm talking about.  Friends back east would call us up and my wife would say "Brian's out cutting the grass".  They would say "in the dark"?  "No, it's still light here"!  That was really nice.  Now that I live on the East Coast, there's so much I can't get done in the evening because it gets dark too fast.

I like the concept of keeping "DST" all year long, but in reality, that's just plain stupid.  Why don't we as a society just operate that way?  For example, instead of businesses routinely operating from 9-5, operate 8-4 and just do away with this DST nonsense all together?
e aho laula

sawguy21

It was introduced to save energy during the war but really doesn't make any difference these days. A news commentator mentioned it just means people run their air conditioner longer which quickly burns up any unused power. I worked in a national distribution warehouse, it really was a pain trying to keep up with who switched and who didn't.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

The Amish don't change their clocks or schedule.  So, for me that means that the gals that I picked up at 7AM to take to work, I will now pick up at 8.  Home again instead of 4 PM is 5.  Every appointment, I must ask if it's "fast" time or your time.  Such a headache. 

Say when

Peter Drouin

Why don't we go ½ an hr and let it be. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Mooseherder

There was a news story this week about how the 2 days following the change there is a spike of Heart Attacks and Strokes.
It's a real phenomenon.  I would like it to be light later.  Save the darkness for morning.  Change it to that and leave it alone is the vote I would cast if they would ask me. ;D

Ozarker

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on March 12, 2016, 11:39:15 AM
I like the concept of keeping "DST" all year long, but in reality, that's just plain stupid.  Why don't we as a society just operate that way?  For example, instead of businesses routinely operating from 9-5, operate 8-4 and just do away with this DST nonsense all together?

I agree with Brian. DST is one of the more asinine things ever put into legislation. Not so amazingly, it accomplishes exactly the opposite of the stated goal of energy conservation. Who would have ever guessed, right? I quit observing it 30 years ago. No losing an hour of sleep, no adjustments of the circadian rhythm cycle, no potential health ramifications. When I had a public business, the sign on the door stated "This office does not observe Daylight Savings Time. Please adjust yourselves accordingly." A few people complained, as though I was the source of their confusion, but that was mostly because I wasn't marching in lockstep with the masses. People can be such herd animals.

21incher

I slept late today to get ready for the change. The change does remind me to replace my smoke detector batteries. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tree-farmer

I like Peter's idea of the half hour split and leave it alone! I go to work at 5 am so it's always dark, but starting that early the extra hours of light in evening does not help much. I run out of energy before I run out of day. Feel guilty resting while still light out. Old bod's cannot take burning candle at both ends. I will accept it, but can't make me like it... :-\
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Brucer

• First it was supposed to increase production during the First World War (longer working days). Later studies showed it didn't.
  • Then it was supposed to make life easier for farmers (they were kidding, right ::). I guess the people who came up with that one figured that none of us knew any farmers.
  • Next it was supposed to save energy. Several studies show that it doesn't -- in fact it may actual increase energy consumption.

The real story, however, is this. Retailers figured that longer daylight hours would give workers more time to shop after work. Oil companies figured longer hours would give people more time to drive in the country after work. There are actually retail and industry associations that were set up to specifically lobby for longer daylight savings.

As far as we're concerned, let's just do away with the time change. Pick a year-round time and stick with it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

Can to can't is always the same.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

The wife had to call me in for supper.  ;D   Or asked me if I was coming at 7pm.Still daylight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ford_man

I think that the whole country should be all on the same time , that way if a business on the east opens at 7 am the guy on the west can look at his watch and know the east store is open. Nobody says that starting time has to be 7AM for everyone. If  you are on the east open at 7 AM, if you are on the west open at 11 AM.

Jhenderson

Indian quote: " only a white man would cut one end off his blanket, sew it on the other end and think he had more blanket"

DonT

We have one  Western Province that does not change. Can make things a little confusing.

Magicman

Nothing to do with DST but when we visited Newfoundland it was ½ hour ahead.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tree-farmer

Look at time zones in China, there is only one! What ever time it is in the capital, thats the time everywhere. Sunrise at 11am in the west side of country would be strange...
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Thank You Sponsors!