iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill friends not on the Forum

Started by Bibbyman, October 22, 2004, 08:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I know and run across a lot of people just like us on the Forum but are not on the Forum for one reason or another.   My ol' buddy Herb is one of them.   He's got a good size farm south of the river and recently expanded to 490 acres.  

We took a Sunday drive last weekend and stopped in for a visit.

The old farm ground he acquired in the past couple of years was setting idle for many years and quite overgrown with impenetrable brush.  The fences were all but gone. The last few years he's been working at a feverish pace trying to reclaim the fields and rebuild he fences.  Starting out with a chainsaw, bushhog, and tractor with loader,  he's added a bobcat with tree sheer and other attachments to his arsenal.

Another tool he's added is an old "antique" Wood-Mizer LT30.  I say antique because it looks like the one Wood-Mizer has in their museum in Indy.  Herb was interested in an LT15 to turn some of his better trees he's removing into useful farm lumber.   But another Wood-Mizer owner in the area was ready to move up to an LT40 Super and Herb was able to get this low hour mill at about the same price as a new LT15.  Herb has been very happy with the mill and it still saws great lumber.

One thing you notice about his new, tight fences is the 6x6 red cedar posts he used on the corners and braces.   He enjoys getting comments from visitors on his red cedar posts.

He built some major outbuildings with the lumber from his mill but they are on another part of the farm we didn't visit last Sunday.  He and his neighbor are building this pavilion out of red cedar for family get-togethers.

Herb has a PC and uses the internet when he needs too but don't look for him here on the Forum.  He's too busy out working on his farm,  mule trading,  or building something in his shop.  I guess if he gets it all done,  he'll just get more land, or more mules and start in again.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

I know just what you mean, Bibbster. I must told four hunnerd people about this forum, and I don't think a single one has showed up. These are folks that I know would enjoy and fit in, too. If I don't like somebody, I sure don't tell'em about this place. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

The thing that gets me is we don't know who all these "guest" are. You can still enjoy all the fun without being a member by just reading. Been wondering if these "guest" realize that it's MUCH MORE fun to join in.  ;)

shopteacher

Well Furby them folks are probably just being a little cautious.  The last time I joined in I got a brand new set of clothes and a free rifle.  Found myself mucking out garbage cans in Fort Dix, NJ.  The garbage cans weren't so bad, but being stuck in NJ................
   I do have to agree with you guys on this being a great place.  Gives you a chance to get a lot of good info, some laughs, gain support from other members when needed and you don't have to go no farther than your keyboard.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

JRC

Bibby, you'r right about that mill being an antique it's older than my first (#1) which was mfg in May 1986, picked her up on June 3. I remember the fold down center supports,sliding end supports, the minimum last cut of 2+", the squeeze type blade setter and the set equalizer ( I still have those around somewhere). I'm glad those days are only memories, I now enjoy an LT40 Super w/Remote 8)

Tom

Something I've realized about this forum is that the members are so willing to "give".  It's entertaining to always appear as a guest or be a member who "hasn't the time to share" but the appreciation of the place is compounded by those that are willing to get envolved.   There is more to life than how many free peppermint candy's one can eat off of the cash register counter.

I've told many folks about this place too and  have not seen them arrive.  I know that they are very knowledgable in the subjects of this forum but sure get depressed that they don't want tot share their knowledge. Not having any time for someone else isn't the spirit with which this forum was created.  Thank goodness we have folks that will join in.

Brad_S.

Furby,
I was a guest for years because I didn't have internet access, therefor, no e-mail adress for registration. Would stay up all night surfing when visiting my sister. Made for real good company the next day. :D

I still am sometimes a "guest". Too lazy to log in unless motivated to respond to a thread, like now.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fred

Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

DanG

Brad, I'll say this for others that may be lurking, since you now have your own PC.  You don't have to have your own access point(computer) to have an e-mail account. You can go to Yahoo and set up a free account that you can access from any computer with internet. I've had mine for about 10 years now, and it's the only e-mail I use. THERE! Now you ain't got no excuse! ;D

Now, Brad, you need to get off your rear end and tell us more about all them toys you list at the bottom of your post. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J_T

Brad S click on always stay logged in saves time.Fred looks like you got your hands full 8)
Jim Holloway

Brad_S.

J T,
Thanks for the tip.

DanG,
Just bought a used digital camera, friend who is a digital whiz is coming by sometime to show me the ropes on getting pictures on this DanG computer. I took a silver halide shot of where my saw job was this past week. Absolutely beautiful deep woods, next to a horseshoe shaped pond, trees at peak, 8000+  board feet stacked in neat piles.  :)  I'll post it when I figure this all out. Any questions on my toys, fire away and I'll answer.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

LeeB

I too very much enjoy this forum. come here just about every day. don't often post though as I never seem to have anything worthwhile to add. I do like reading the other posts and have learned much here. When I do post I always get good responces. I know I'm glad to be here. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

crtreedude

I originally joined the group as a way to ask questions about sawmills, but have hung around because of the characters I have come to know.  I appreciate not all threads are about forestry, that there is funning around, amusement, etc. It seems to make it more like real life.

Of course, since I am a geek at heart, you might want to take the "real-life" comment with a grain of salt.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

woodbeard

Tom, I would like to address your concern about people not sharing as much as they seem to be capable of, if only to ease the depression you speak of. :)
  We are very fortunate here to have folks such as yourself who not only have a great deal of knowledge and experience, but also have the motivation and ability to convey it through this bizarre apparatus called the internet. If you consider it a bit, I'm sure that you will remember that a great many people do not have both these attributes. Sure, some do, and simply don't share for whatever reason, and that is a loss. I think though, that the prospect of trying to communicate in this abstract manner is very intimidating to many who would otherwise be happy to talk your ear off in person, and they should not be faulted for it. I myself ride the fence on this. Even though I can operate the 'puter well enough to post, and have plenty of diction, grammar, articulation, etc; ( maybe not punctuation :D ) I still am very often incapable of saying anything simply because it seems so weird to type it into this little phosphorescent box.
  Somehow or another, it ends up here, the knowledge, that is.
If the old man down the road isn't posting here, someone who is may come and see him someday, and talk and watch, and it will end up here, don't worry ;)

ex-racer

I find the forum very interesting and visit at least once a day, and sometimes more often, to read and learn. It doesn't take long to get the feeling that you actually know the folks, especially the regulars.

I can relate to what Woodbeard said - -
Quotethe prospect of trying to communicate in this abstract manner is very intimidating to many who would otherwise be happy to talk your ear off in person, - - - - - - I still am very often incapable of saying anything simply because it seems so weird to type it into this little phosphorescent box.

I am reluctant to post here unless I have something of value to add to the discussion, as I don't know much about bandsawmills, although I did go to see one operating the other day.  ;D An aquaintance of mine has a manual WoodMizer.

Some folks are just serious by nature, and I think that accounts for my reluctance to post "smalltalk", probably out of concern that it might be wasting other people's time.

Ed

redpowerd

i know what you mean, and as with woodbeards comment, i  feel as though i really cant come off not sounding like an idiot most times, my hands cant type exactly what i want to put into words, even though i took many lit classes in college(and passed them).

sometimes my vaugeness gets me into trouble, as i dont entirely explain the situation well enough and expect folks to understand me.  even though i know folks on here i really dont KNOW them. this is a reason the pig roast and other get togethers are important, and i can see how real face to face communication develops frenships that keyboarding can never replace.

all the more reason to get us ALL at the piggy roast.

there, im sure i came off like an idiot. ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Tom

Ed !!!  Wasting my time?? !

Talk to me man!!  

It doesn't take much.  You made a good post here.

It's good practice for walking down the street.  Ya see someone you know or someone you don't know but they look friendly...... say........G'mornin' ;D   G'day!  :)   How's yer day doin'? :)    

That's what makes the world turn.  Meeting folks.  There's nothing wrong with seeing someone on the forum that hasn't been there for awhile and send them an IM.   Hi there!  Been missin' ya! :D

Yer right Woodbeard, it eases my mind a bit but I stiill wish folks could open up a bit.  I appreciate the thought that you convey of me being so knowledgeable and outgoing.  Actually, I'm basically a wall-flower and down-right inhibited.  I fight it by charging blindly ahead and wiping the tears from my eyes when I run into a brick wall. "Ouch!!, That hurts". :D

Ya have to get your head screwed on right to type into this little box.  You're really not talking to the box, you're talking to a friend on the other side of it the same as if you put a stamp on an envelope.

Every post hasn't got to be full of wisdom.  Lord knows, I have trouble finding enough of it to keep from looking like an ignoramus.   I still like to come in the room and say "Hi Y'all!".  It's something I have to make myself do, but it sure makes me feel better and I've met some of the nicest people too. :D

When I wish that folks would get envolved, I don't mean that they have to expound the knowledge of Einstein.  I mean that I wish they could say "I had a good day today", or, "My feet hurt, I had to walk home".  That is what makes this forum special.  It's a group of natural folks.   I've described it before as a bunch of folks sitting around the stove in a Hardware store.  That's pretty much what it is.  No gurus.  No better-than-thou's.  None of that stuff.   Just good, old plain folks.  If a fellow figures he can't swim, he ought to at least stick his toe in. :D

A fellow shouldn't be afraid of dumb posts.  The only thing that doesn't float here is off-color jokes and remarks.  We try to keep it family.  Try to stay within the bounds of conversation that our children can hear.

Scared of saying something dumb?  Look at this stuff. :D

some might think this a dumb post

A post on coffee?  c'mon :D

Woods Walking, now that's a bunch of fun

There's other dumb stuff like the thread Funny Stories and Older folks and Younger Folks and all manner of off-the-wall talk that was just for the sake of visiting.

Anybody that can display that whoppy-jawed/catty-whumpus hat like you've got, Woodbeard, and not run and hide under a rock, has to have a super sense of humor. Now that takes guts. :D :D

So........  all of you folks that are peekin' through the door, I've just got this to say

Hi  Y'all !

ex-racer

Quotethere, im sure i came off like an idiot.
Redpowered, anyone who is a guy is no idiot.

My "mule" around the place here is a '54 Super A.

Quoteall of you folks that are peekin' through the door,
Tom, I'll really try to communicate more, honest. ;D

Ed

redpowerd

;)if you seen my tractors youd think different ;D :D

theyre more than idiot proof
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

well put tom, as allways ;D

and i went for a nice 'sunday woods walk' and noticed some odd blowdowns, and marked a new trail..
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Fla._Deadheader

Let me make a statement. Now, Don't NOBODY take this personal.

If any of you members OR guests have read the thread Dan put up about our losing my Wife and our kids Mom, just look at the responses I received. No fance sermons, just SUPPORT. That has helped immensely to get us over this terrible tragedy. I'm certain that a lot of folks wanted to say something, but couldn't put the words on the screen. That's fine. !!!!!!!  To each, his or her own. Simple fact is, MANY folks did, and I really took it as everyone here is our friend, whether you posted or not.

If anyone here posts crazy or stoopid or wrong info, it is ME. I get corrected all the time.

::) ::)  DANG this Mozilla server.??????

George and Redpowered, I read every post Y'all make. I don't pass judgment. I ENJOY all the posts. I  try to make use of all the SMILEYS I can, to try to get the message to sound right. Red, I know eggzacktly what you mean about the eyeball-to-eyeball. Don't sweat it. Post away. ;D ;D  If someone takes a post the wrong way, try to explain it ONE time, and then, let them worry about it.

Time is too precious. Chill out, post away, and enjoy the Forum. It's DEFINITELY the best medicine in the world. ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D  OK, I'm off the soapbox. ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bruce_A

JD350Cmark

Hello,

Well, I thought I'd ad a little info here.  Being somewhat new to milling I find myself reading more than posting.  When I do want to post, I say to myself, "I'll reply to that post tonight."  During the summer, I am outside until dark, so dinner is dark-thirty, then I'll say I will get to that post in the morning.  Well, everyday I've got lots to do (as does everyone) so I say to myself, "I'll get to that reply on that post tonight."  And so on...  

I have learned a lot of info on the great site on my new found hobby and as of last week my new found income$$.  (look for that story in another post)

I think this site would get boring if only the same people posted all the time.  So thank you Tom for jump starting me to start typing more.  I'll stop rambling here and get to the posts I've been meaning to get to! :)  -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

redpowerd

kind words, still got them cones around your mill deadheader? :D

and how bout them red sox?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

I have been dis-interested in baseball since big mouth cecil feilder played for the Tigers and led that baseball strike. Until then I was a faithful fan that started watching the Tigers when I was in little League. I would sit and watch the games that George Kell anounced on T.V. while wearing my glove or listening to the untelevised games with Ernie Harwell at the microphone. I was pretty bitter about that strike and gave up on major league ball, but still, I gotta say, GO SOX! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!