iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Revving Engine

Started by Darrel, March 11, 2016, 03:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

OK, how do I fix this?

https://youtu.be/N5hKNCi6bR8

Runs smoothly when cold and choke is still half closed, but as soon as engine is warm and choke is fully open this starts.  Adjusting idle mixture has little to no effect.  Fuel lines filters etc are clean.  I'm thinking that the carb needs to come off and be cleaned.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

sawguy21

It is running too lean. You either have an intake air leak below the carburetor or more likely the idle circuit has debris in it. Time to tear the carburetor down.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sealark37

If you have been running ethanol gasoline for any time at all, you will probably need to remove and clean the carburetor.  I had to strip and put a rebuild kit in mine to solve the problem.  Bite the bullet and pay the extra $ for "recreational gasoline".    Regards, Clark

Darrel

That's what I was afraid of. Gotta take the intake manifold off in order to do that so I can turn the whole thing upside down to get to the bolts that hold the carbarator on.
1992 LT40HD

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I do not remove the carburetor from the engine. It is a lot easier to just remove the top and be real careful not to break the gasket. There is a little brass jet that is about 1.5" long. Make sure you have the correct size screw driver. If not you will break the jet and be out of luck. dont force it. Easy does it. Keep working it back and forth and it will come out.
I think Jeff has some pictures of the carb disassembled in his archive.
There are two jets one is the main jet and one is the Idle circuit.

It might be a good time to check the valve clearance while you are up there on top.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Darrel

Marty, too late, I already have the carb and intake manifold off. I'm glad I took it off though because it has been leaking on the right side. The thought passed briefly through my mind to just let the carburetor be but I'm sure that I would regret it later.
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Got the carb pulled off and trying to find a rebuild kit. Looks like I might have to buy a new carburetor. Wood-Mizer no longer sells a kit for this one.
1992 LT40HD

Ox

How about trying to put up the engine make and model, and maybe the carburetor make and model on here?  It might make some leads for you.  The people around here love to help you know...  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Remle

Quote from: Darrel on March 16, 2016, 12:36:57 AM
Got the carb pulled off and trying to find a rebuild kit. Looks like I might have to buy a new carburetor. Wood-Mizer no longer sells a kit for this one.
My guess, it is an ONAN. About all you can get are aftermarket parts from E-bay or small engine parts places like Jack's small engine parts, JD and Case lawn mowers also used Onan engines as well. Happy hunting..

Darrel

Yes, it is an Onan 24 horse.
1992 LT40HD

isawlogs

Darrel I have same carb on mine, clean it, put it back together and run it. I remove mine with out taking the intake off, the nuts come off the bottom easily. I need to clean it at least once a year.  ;)

You might want to call your local Cumins dealer as they own Onan.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

KirkD

That same carb was used on a lot of gen sets it should be all over the web. Call Cummins N.W. in Coburg
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Ox

It's a shame the Onan parts are drying up.  They're a good, solid engine.  But even if you can find rebuild parts, it's cost prohibitive.  There should be a carb rebuild kit somewhere on the web.  I've found every carb kit I've ever needed, even cheap new replacement carbs.  Don't be afraid of the cheap Chinese carbs - every one I've ever bought work perfectly.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

homesteader1972

Quote from: isawlogs on March 16, 2016, 10:57:35 AM
Darrel I have same carb on mine, clean it, put it back together and run it. I remove mine with out taking the intake off, the nuts come off the bottom easily. I need to clean it at least once a year.  ;)

You might want to call your local Cumins dealer as they own Onan.

X2   There are few parts to the carb, and if the float valve and gasket are good there really is no need to buy a kit anyhow. The carbs are simple, but do not tolerate any dirt or water well. I would just soak it well in carb solution, and make sure all the passages and jets are clear using spray carb cleaner. Be careful using compressed air as the carb has a plug on its side that will blow out. You can put it back in, if you find it. I too, have to clean mine every so often.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Kbeitz

E-bay has the parts...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodmills1

my onan carb needed cleaning once or twice a year, never any parts.  I used a piece of paper towel to pick up the debris since I was too far from the compressor.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kbeitz

If it has the old fibered float the first thing I would do it to replace it with a new brass one.
The new gas will mess the old fiber float up.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Yep.  Ethanol is the root of many evils.

Kbeitz is right - I found 2 rebuild kits for around $50 on ebay and a kit which includes a fuel pump for around $75, which is a little high but it's for a now-obsolete engine (it's truly a shame).  There was a brass float for $20.  That's not too bad compared to buying a new engine.  But the other suggestions of a good cleaning will likely take care of your problem.  I would put an inline fuel filter in and a shutoff valve as well.  Carburetors like to sit dry, not with gas in them.  This is one of my tricks to keeping all my gas engines running and starting well, along with using non ethanol gas.  Sometimes I have to run a long loop of fuel line to fit in the valve and filter, but so be it.

Magicman

I do not and have never put ethanol "enhanced" gas in any of my small engines. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Remle

"Yep.  Ethanol is the root of many evils."  Some of the folks here are to young to remember, they said the similar things when they took the Lead out of gas several decades ago and feared catastrophic engine failures.. any body adding lead substitute to their gas ?

Kbeitz

Just today I had some ethanol problems...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Ahhhhh, yes.  The infamous gelatin that looks like it's from a wet baby's diaper and the resulting rust.  The last generator I had come into my shop for repairs had the same exact looking fuel bowl and contents.  I couldn't get the main jet out, even with heat, so I took a chance, put it back together, and it ran, with a little choke added.  So be it.  It was a free repair for my father in law who has colon cancer.  He can't do those things any more and this is how I show my support and thoughts for him because I practise hermitism and don't leave my hill if I can help it.

Ethanol is a conspiracy.  It costs more to produce it than it sells for.  It uses more energy to produce it than it gives back when burned.  It's all about the money, taxes, subsidies, etc.  It's evil.

Kbeitz

Yea and you forgot to add how much money is wasted with people haveing to get there stuff repaired
every year. Some people say dont use that gas. Well in my area thats all we have.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

The small engine repair shops here are all quite busy.  Thankfully non-ethanol is available at selected outlets here but not everyone uses it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

My brother has the same problem down in York, PA and says it's hard to find non ethanol.  He's got a lawn care and landscaping business and mixes what he calls "ethanol shield" in his gas and says he doesn't have any more problems.  I've also seen guys on Youtube putting the gas in a container, adding water to bind the ethanol, mixing it all up then letting it set.  The water laden ethanol settles to the bottom, drain it off and you're left with pure gasoline.  Just a few ideas that may help someone...

Remle

Quote from: Darrel on March 16, 2016, 12:36:57 AM
Thought of another place for parts, check here "Onanparts.com"

outpost22

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2016, 07:10:11 AM
Yea and you forgot to add how much money is wasted with people haveing to get there stuff repaired
every year. Some people say dont use that gas. Well in my area thats all we have.

Call a local car racing or motorcycle shop, especially a BMW motorcycle or KTM dealership. Ask them where they get their non ethanol gas.  I would bet they will have an answer for you.  I NEVER run ethanol in any small engine.  We are lucky to have 3 outlets here that sell non ethanol 92 octane. 
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Thank You Sponsors!