iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats your favorite "Boring" average everyday saw...:)

Started by weimedog, March 11, 2016, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

I always find it amusing that 75 percent of the conversation is about the professional level saws and 75 percent or there about's of saws sold are...less than exciting. So I'm certain my views on the "less than exciting" 455 & 555 are well known. I started searching for threads on saws like 2250's Husqvarna 440's, Stihl 211's and the like.....not many. And I understand that the best place to find info on saws like that are places like....consumers reports! SO in that spirit I'm going to ask all the saw enthusiasts and experts whats the BEST (Most Boring) mundane run of the mill saw on the market. Another way to try and look at this is the MOST capable 300-375 dollar option on the market and why...I'll throw my hat in the ring with the proven 455 with a close second to the 2250s/450. I just don't know the Stihl line well enough...or the Echo line. My bet is there are a LOT of Boring Echo's in that price range... :)

Has to be from the STOCK prospective, a saw that the most modification it will ever have is an aftermarket fuel line, air filter, and possibly chain!

Be interested in how you would SELL this saw concept to someone who is asking... Just think of all the TLC sales folks out there selling this class saw!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

RIDE-RED 350r

Well, I get what you are asking.. But there isn't much in that niche of current offerings that I have used or can comment on, other than Stihl's MS290. I did not like the MS290 one little bit and not because I'm a Husky guy but because it just doesn't impress me in the power department for it's size. You would think they could have given it a little more zip for a 60cc class saw.

My all-time favorite "mundane" saw has to be my Dad's old Johnny-Red 455. It's been in the family since Dad bought it new in about 1986. Very well built and great running little saw!
Swedish, you know, like the chef.

VKJohnson

Well, most of my work is in orange and avocado groves...for 75-80% of that work, it's my 025 that I bought now just after the turn of the century. For the bigger work, it's the MS290, upgraded recently to 390...really no need for anything else for what I'm doing...I have a Poulan Pro a buddy gave me, and my BIL is giving me back my old 009L...the latter ones are good for limbing...

btulloh

The 026 has been a really good small saw for me for 20 years and still going strong.  I just replaced a 036 with the new MS362 and hardly noticed the change to the new version.  Good medium powered saw with a 24 inch bar.  Around 4 1/2 hp.  Not big, not small, Pretty light and handy. 

I didn't think I'd like the the new-fangled m-tronic stuff, but I do like it and so far I think it's a good thing. 

I've got nothing against the Husqy's - it's just that I've got a Stihl dealer a lot closer to me than the Husqy dealer.
HM126

mad murdock

For a boring average saw, i would have to say the crazy colored wild thingy i have. It has been thru a lot and held up remarkably well for what it is.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dougand3

+1 on a 42cc Poulan...preferably 1990-2005. 2006 and newer are strato, which I've had bad luck with buying non-runners. They are set too lean at factory and score P&C. Only saw I bought new is a 1994 Craftsman (Poulan) which is still running strong for what is....limbing and small round bucking saw.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

pwheel

The only saw in that price range (new) that I know about is the Husky 450; my cousin across the street owns one and has used it to maintain his 45+ acres for the past 5 years. I've cut with it and it's a good one. My "boring" saw is a Stihl ms260 pro; it's dead reliable, almost starts itself, easy to maintain, and gets the job done assuming a clean filter and sharp chain. A clean used ms260 would be in that price range. Don't know anyone who has a Stihl ms271.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

thecfarm

I have a Efco 52,won it on here. Had it for a couple years. I have been cleaning up the woods this winter. Hardly started the Husky 372. It's a great limbing saw,light,saves on my shoulder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hacknchop

My everyday saw is husky 357xp my favorite saw was jonsenred 630 good saws not small not to big.
Often wrong never indoubt

ScottAR

+2 on the Stihl 026.  Plenty for everyday smaller stuff and can take on a bigger job now and again.

The 192T sees a fair amount of use as well... Looks like a tinker toy but will cut full depth of the bar.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

John Mc

I like the Husky 450. A decent, reliable saw. The 455 adds a lot of weight, but doesn't gain you all that much power. If your needs are such that a 50cc saw will meet your needs, the 450 is a decent choice in the "midlevel/landowner" saw category.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sablatnic

I use an old Partner 460. Have wondered why, as I have a lot of Stihls and Husqvarnas, but it seems to have a nice balance and weight, doesn't vibrate much, and is quite quiet.

catalina

I have an Echo 310 that I paid $268  brand new 7 years ago and it is my go to saw. I run a 16 inch bar on it and honestly have worn out at least 2 dozen chains on it. I have a Stihl 066 that only gets cranked up on stuff over 20 inches. I limb everything with that Echo too, it has never given me an ounce of trouble starting assuming it has fuel (lol) and If I keep the air filter clean-I pull once, it starts, twice at the most. It is an incredibly light saw that when and if it ever dies on me will be replaced with the same if they still make it.

pabst79

Most useful would be my 026, but my most favorite and "boring" would be my old 032, its just a real nice solid saw. Bought it for 75 bucks at a Husky/Echo dealer and haven't had to fix it at all.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Andyshine77

The Echo cs-490 and cs-590 are easily the best "new" saws for the money, that I've ever had my hands on. Now I'm not saying saws like the Husky 455 or Stihl ms271, ms391 are sub par products, far from it! However when you start taking apart these saws you do see why they cost less, I just haven't seen that with the Echo's I listed, same goes for Dolmar saws. Now a lot of this also comes down to dealer support, most farmers and the like will need a dealer behind the product, so that often sways the dissension.

When it comes to true homeowner type saws, like the ms211 "which I once owned" really wasn't wasn't better than a properly tuned Wild Thing. A few of entry level Husqvarna saws are in fact based on the small Poulan models. So just because you're buying a respected brand, doesn't necessarily mean you're buying quality. To farther the argument, most chainsaw forum types don't live in reality and often underestimate what can be done with a properly setup good small saw.

That's my take.

Andre.                   
Andre.

weimedog

Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 22, 2016, 05:48:34 AM
. To farther the argument, most chainsaw forum types don't live in reality and often underestimate what can be done with a properly setup good small saw.

That's my take.

Andre.                   

yup
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

woodsdog2015

Quote from: weimedog on March 22, 2016, 09:32:38 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 22, 2016, 05:48:34 AM
. To farther the argument, most chainsaw forum types don't live in reality and often underestimate what can be done with a properly setup good small saw.

That's my take.

Andre.                   

yup

I agree. I have a lowly homeowner class Stihl MS251 and I love that saw.  It has really worked hard for me over the last year and it is very light and cuts great.  I was doing a lot of boring on big maple and froze the bar sprocket so it ran a bit like the chain brake was on.... burned up the interior plastic a bit which surrounds the chain sprocket but nothing major.  I have since switched to the yellow stihl chain instead of the green stuff and wow that really makes a difference.  As I've said in some of my other posts, I also picked up an MS362CM which is a great saw but it is heavier and bulkier to me.  I also own a little Echo CS300 tree saw which runs like a mongoose all day long and never quits.  Finally, I picked up a big Homelite 8800 and put a new bar and chains on it and it runs good but it is really a heavy beast.  I would say my favorite "goto" for woodcutting is the MS251.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Andyshine77

Woodsdog I just had a ms250 here that needed a new chain tensioner. After the repair I took the saw out to the wood pile to tune the carb, and was somewhat supersized how well the saw ran. I bet your 251 runs even better, nice little saws for what they are, no doubt about it.
Andre.

rburg

My 350 would probably be the only saw I have that would qualify. It has been very dependable and useful. It has cut side by side with my 346, 550, 2252. It may be slower cutting cookies, but the end result is the same.

RPF2509

My Husky 51 w/ a 20" bar was built in '97 and has been faithfully bucking trees out of the road and cutting 5 cords of firewood every year.  It lives in my truck box and never gets much special care except a new pug and chain every few years. I finally put a new air filter in it last year when the old one got smushed by me being careless.  Still has the original pull cord but its a bit shorter now.  Its on its second bar and that is getting tired too.  I plan on getting it to 20 years old and retiring it for something with a bit more power.

rooster 58

I usually  use my Stihl  460. But last summer I bought a 241c for the sawmill to trim boards, ties, and cants. Last week, I pulled it out to work on a load of pulp poles to buck into firewood,  most in the small to medium diameter logs, but a few that were 14-15" range. I was really surprised at how well that little devil went through a cut

weimedog

Quote from: rooster 58 on March 26, 2016, 06:53:05 AM
I usually  use my Stihl  460. But last summer I bought a 241c for the sawmill to trim boards, ties, and cants. Last week, I pulled it out to work on a load of pulp poles to buck into firewood,  most in the small to medium diameter logs, but a few that were 14-15" range. I was really surprised at how well that little devil went through a cut

Love the dog! Nothing average or boring about either of those saws!  :)

jcouch

Kbeitz

Years ago I stopped at an auction. The auctioneer held up a yellow chain saw with the chain hanging from the bar.
he said... I'm not even going to try to start this thing. I got it for $0,50 ... One of the best chain saw I've ever had. it was made for the John Deere co. I don't know what it really is but it sure has worked fine for years. Easy start,
Light weight and never needed fixed.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!