iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit 4-53 fan

Started by Spartan, March 10, 2016, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Anyone know where I can get a 22" suction fan?  I have a pusher on my TJ and want to get a suction fan.  Can't seem to find anyone with one.

cuznguido

Are you sure yours is not reversible?

Spartan

Positive.  Same airflow when flipped over.  tried it.

coxy

do you know how hot  you  will be in the summer we have a 518 with a suction fan that sits most of the summer cause its to hot to run and the blades are seized so we cant reverse them  its real nice in the winter it keeps your feet peachy 

Spartan

I will probably throw the pusher on again in the summer

mad murdock

I would look for the spring loaded type of fan that allows individual turning of each blade.  We had that type of fan on a couple of our pieces of equipment back in the day, sure made a world of difference warmer in winter and way cooler in summer (for the operator).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lewis

anderson bros, eugene oregon

treeslayer2003

why? it won't cool any better. if it runs hot some thing else is the culprit.

brianJ

Not really a fan of any of the Detroits much less the 4-53. :D ;D :o   

Spartan

Quote from: lewis on March 11, 2016, 03:21:01 PM
Thanks

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on March 11, 2016, 07:02:11 PM

It wont cool any better yes, but it also wont blow oil into the radiator and plug it up. 

I know, fix the leaks.  Eventually I will.

Logger RK

I've notice on them motors that are in need of a rebuild & have a lot of blow by,u can put the blow by tube in a gallon jug. So the fine oil mist isn't getting blown into the radiator & all over. Unless u have other bad leaks?

lewis

Detroits  are like harleys,if they aint leakin they aint runnin

Spartan

No, its a good strong motor, 4k hours on it or so.  I just think it sat for a while and the seals dried up.  I fixed my crank seal leak only to have the cam seal leaking now and possibly the upper cover as well.  It was murder trying to get the crank bolt out and seal, and the torque specs are the same for the cam.  So I am anticipating bad times.  That equals lots of down time which equals major investment.

Doesn't leak that bad but I just had to pull the radiator out and heat spray it as I was getting warm and its not even spring.  couldn't even see through it.  Now all is fine, just don't want to have to repeat the process too soon.

Eventually I will fix it, just not smart right now.

coxy

easy off oven cleaner works the best on dirty radiators spray on let sit 15-20min and wash with a garden hose

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Spartan on March 11, 2016, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: lewis on March 11, 2016, 03:21:01 PM
Thanks

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on March 11, 2016, 07:02:11 PM

It wont cool any better yes, but it also wont blow oil into the radiator and plug it up. 

I know, fix the leaks.  Eventually I will.
yeah, btdt. it will then make the engine compartment oily n nasty. i rather clean the rad.

Thank You Sponsors!