iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Thinking of moving to the Dark side. need some imput on Norwood HD36

Started by Mt406, March 10, 2016, 11:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

Not really the dark side. But looking at Band mills my swing blade is all manual and not as portable as advertised.
I need more production and less wear and tear on my body.
I have found the Forum the best place for information from saws to food.
After doing some research I have narrowed down to the Norwood HD 36 Hyd.
The main reason is I can order what I need now and add to it later.

So my question is  Whats your Opinion of the Norwood HD 36 the good bad and ugly.

Haven't see any thing major problems talked about on any forums some operator error

Thanks   

derhntr

I can only suggest this before committing. "test drive" I looked for 2 years before deciding which mill to get. After test driving a couple different models. I made the choice that best fit my needs. 2nd bite the bullet and add the accessories you what when purchasing the mill. Will save you in the long run. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Chuck White

Congrats on your decision on getting a bandmill!

derhntr has a real valid point, do some test drives, or at least go and observe other mills in operation.

Nothing wrong with Norwood mills, just saying look around a little too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

Now there are so many makes and models with so many pluses and minuses that I can see that it can be a time consuming and head scratching ordeal to narrow it down.
There was a time when Henry Ford first made his model T you could have any color you wanted as long as it was black.  That is the way it was when we bought our first mill.  WM had an LT30 manual and that was it.  So it came down to either yes or no.  Took about 2 hours.  We could have any color we wanted as long as it was orange.
Good luck in your search.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

same as everyone else has said,, take your time, check a few out in person, be patient. Add on options are good, but really, as mentioned if possible go for it from the git go, its like roughing in a house and saying you will finish as you go, and it takes years before the final trim is up,, ;D kinda true, start finished right off the bat, no regrets, unless you are too deep in debt, then do what you have to,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Do not overlook used sawmills.  My sawmill was four years old when I bought it.  It had been used for three years and had sat idle for a year.  I paid 2/3 the cost of a new one and it is worth today what I paid for it 14 years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Quote from: Mt406 on March 10, 2016, 11:12:42 AM
Not really the dark side. But looking at Band mills my swing blade is all manual and not as portable as advertised.
I need more production and less wear and tear on my body.
I have found the Forum the best place for information from saws to food.
After doing some research I have narrowed down to the Norwood HD 36 Hyd.
The main reason is I can order what I need now and add to it later.

So my question is  Whats your Opinion of the Norwood HD 36 the good bad and ugly.

Haven't see any thing major problems talked about on any forums some operator error

Thanks   

MT406,

Well before you bail on the circle style mill
you have some good semi and fully automated
"portable" production options with
a twin or three blade dimension style mill
that will return cut product without issue.

Depending on what you choose they are as or more portable than a trailer style Band mill

Have you looked at upgrading your swing? is it an option

What is the majority of materials you saw??

Best
Dan

Mt406

Thanks for the reply's.
I wish I had more time to be patience, Being pushed to expand.
The largest small mill owner, or the biggest suppler  of rough saw wood in this county. died from a accident at his mill.
Now a lot of the ranches in this area are looking for a suppler. They have asked me if I can fill the gap, and have expressed  interested in me going to there ranch and sawing.
I have looked at some used mills in this area most were wore out or realy over priced others the mfg is out of business.
Dillon Mt is kinda out of the way Its a few miles past were they stop pumping sun light.
I would have to go aways to find a mill to watch or even demo.

Scott   

Tom the Sawyer

Mt406,

Whichever mill you get, good luck with it and milling for others.

Just a suggestion: If you would have put something about the Norwood HD 36 in your title, you'd likely get more reads, and more relative comments.  It would also be more likely to show up in searches.  Abstruse or esoteric titles may get passed over by those who may actually have the knowledge you are seeking.  :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Mt406

DaveinNH

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head. You mentioned that the largest sawmill operator in the area passed away in an unfortunate accident, and now some of those customers are asking if you can fill the void.

Do you know if there is anyone else in the area who might also be able to provide the service they are looking for? Do you know what type of volume he was doing and what percentage of it you might expect,or want to, pick up?

What type of mill was he running? Was it a band mill? If you can answer these questions looking at the type of mill he ran (manual vs hydraulic, capacity, etc) might help you to answer part of your question.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

Mt406

by counting the log trucks passing my mill to his I would say he cuts 100000 board feet a year. he's running a big band saw three  a half inch wide double sided band probably 100 horse motor on it.I don't remember the brand.
right now his son is running the mill to pay off the log bill and after that no one knows.
I don't think I want to be that big and have employees.
So right now I'm looking at the Norwood hd36 with hydraulics partly because of cost.

uler3161

I think there's a WM location within reasonable driving distance from you. Have you checked them out?
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Keith Shirley

I have a Norwood HD36 manual, and am very happy with it. As you said, with the Norwood you can build it as you please.
Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

dboyt

What size/species are you looking at?  While the HD36 does handle 36" diameter logs, it is a bit of a wrestling match.  14" to 24" diameter mill pretty easily.  100,000 board ft per year would be do-able on the manual version IF you are set up for it.  That is, stationary with a log deck and loader.  With the logs decked up, I can do a 1,100 board feet of oak in a day working solo.  A mill at the customer's location would be hard pressed to do half that, depending on the support equipment available.  The HD36 is well designed, sturdy, and simple to work on.  Very portable, easy to set up.  The hand-crank winch loading system is the weakest link, in my opinion, but it was cheap and easy to convert it to 12V winch & deep cycle battery that lasts all day.  Log deck is even better.  I like the options available, and have added a track extension for longer logs.  I'd buy another if something happened to this one.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

scully

As stated bye others test drive what ever you can . Also as someone pointed out ,there is a WM within reasonable driving distance . I would highly recommend you call for a demo . It sounds like you may have a great opertunity to step up to a little more mill than you imagine . I would never rule out used either as long as the mfg. is still in business . My mill was 10 years old when I bought it and I will tell you I would not take half again what I payed for it .
I bleed orange  .

Mt406

I found a WM dealer alittle  over 100 miles away for Mt that next door. I will give him a call on Mon.
I was looking at the HD 36 the big motor and Hyds minus log roller and log loader thay may come later and adding 4ft track ext.

Thanks for all the input

Scott

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Magicman on March 10, 2016, 04:23:44 PM
Do not overlook used sawmills.  My sawmill was four years old when I bought it.  It had been used for three years and had sat idle for a year.  I paid 2/3 the cost of a new one and it is worth today what I paid for it 14 years ago.

x2  :)
you might even try to buy his mill when they finish as you know it is in working order and capable of doing the job :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

dboyt

If you log on to the forum on the manufacturer's web site (Norwood has one, and I assume other manufacturers do, as well), you'll find frank discussions about the mills that you won't see anywhere else.  The forum is very friendly, and a shout-out for mills in your area will likely get you replies.  Wish I were closer, but you're welcome to come visit me in Missouri.  Meanwhile, feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.  Whatever you get, you'll love bandsaw milling!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!