iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Louisiana...They're tryin' to wash us away...

Started by Planman1954, March 09, 2016, 09:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick carpenter

For all y'all that got flooding, how many homes were damaged in your areas? I'm in Huntsville, East Texas, about 40 miles west of Texas Ranger and we got a good bit of rain last week. We were out on a cruise though so I'm playing catchup trying to figure damages near us. I've been alerted for possible relief work, via the UMC, in Texas (and probably Louisiana too) but have not been called out anywhere... yet.

A section of Walker County TX along the Trinity River went through 4 floods last year, with standing water in homes for up to 5 weeks in places, and another one just recently. Check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FoLgk-kFE

for a look at one of the early floods last year. Subsequent floods were not this bad, but water still got in homes each time. The Trinity starts north and northwest of Dallas/Ft Worth and we get all the water from that basin about a week after they do. I've got to schedule some more muck out work but have to wait a bit til the water recedes.

God bless y'all!
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Texas Ranger

US10 is shut down in Orange, Texas, the highway department is telling folks to take US59, through Livingston, to US20, over into Louisiana and then back down.  That is an additional 8 hour drive.  Unbelievable
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I have a Grandson helping with the cleanup in some homes where the water has gone down.  It's a mess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rick carpenter

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 16, 2016, 02:53:03 PM
US10 is shut down in Orange, Texas, the highway department is telling folks to take US59, through Livingston, to US20, over into Louisiana and then back down.  That is an additional 8 hour drive.  Unbelievable

Is 190 closed too?

j-dland

20 inches reported in our area . We got lucky , only 2 feet of water in the house. 4 feet in the yard. Reckon this is that 100 year flood you hear about.
David

timberlinetree

Wow that's a lot of rain! Wishing you all the best of luck dealing with the flooding. Stay safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandsawmill14

we are finally drying out a little hope you guys all can soon and not have to much damage :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Planman1954

We had a few rivers crest around here during the last few days. But today, we're getting a little more rain. >:( I helped one of my buddies move out of his trailer. He found an apt. Thank goodness. All is well for me here on the Homefront!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Texas Ranger

Mississippi and Louisiana are fixing to get some more, went through north Texas this morning.  Hail and rain, oh yeah, wind.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Much heavy rain today and several hailstorms.  Up to 6" of hail in several locations, but thankfully marble sized.  I drove through an area where the hail had beaten the straw off of the Pine trees.  Smelled like rosin and the road was paved with straw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Off an on rain all day today with much lightening.  This is not helping the folks in low lying areas.  Most spillway gates are wide open so the misery continues. 

j-dland

David

Magicman

This is so tragic for those of you that are in low lying areas.   :-\

sandhills

j-dland

I think this is that 100 year flood I been hearing about. 1880 something was the last time they had water this high. Thank goodness the LT-40 was not here. It usually sits to the far right side of the picture in the lowest point of my yard. It is at a jobsite where only the travel motor got submerged I hope. Cant get out of here to check on it yet' Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. this has been a tough one. Many peoples homes just washed away or were completely submerged. Lost a lot of stuff but still feel blessed. Kinda wish i had insurance tho.
David

rick carpenter

Quote from: j-dland on March 19, 2016, 08:45:18 AM

View from my roof.

David/j-dland, I'm very sorry to see your damage. There is an Early Response Team from the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church that includes a couple of friends of mine in your area. I would have been with them but a family member had a medical procedure and I had to be at the hospital. The facebook post tonight from Rev Scott Moore, leader of the team, says "Exhausted but so proud of our ERT volunteers and TAC Southeast District Churches for stepping up to help flood victims. Over 1000 flood buckets delivered and distributed. Today ERT members and volunteers from FUMC Conroe, FUMC Vidor, FUMC Woodville, FUMC Mauriceville, and FUMC Deweyville did extensive work on 2 homes in Old Salem, 1 home in Deweyville, and the FUMC Deweyville church building. So honored to be in ministry with such fine folks."

I suggest you check in with local law enforcement/OEM or local churches to get info on relief plans drawn up for your area. Chainsawing and chain sharpening might be very handy skills if you were interested in volunteering.

If you apply for FEMA or State or SBA aid and it results in an initial denial of aid, that might not be the final word. In that case I'd encourage you to appeal, appeal, appeal, and provide as much additional info as you can. Sometimes denials are overturned.

God bless everyone!

Thank You Sponsors!