iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Louisiana...They're tryin' to wash us away...

Started by Planman1954, March 09, 2016, 09:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

A new record of over one foot of rain in a 24 hour period was set today in north Louisiana! I'm fine here, except that I can't go anywhere. Here's some shots of the pond in the back of my house. The first photo shows the upper levee in the far end of the pond, with water running over it, down into my lower pond. The lower photo shows my levee on the right end, and how it is almost overrun on the lower right corner of the photo. The spillway area is on the left end of the levee. We expect another foot during the next day. Monroe, La. is overrun in many areas:

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Planman1954

Magicman

We are forecast to get it Thursday, Friday, & Saturday, but hopefully not the amount that you have suffered through.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

elk42

Planman 1954 Almost 12" in my gauge here in Crossett. :o
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Texas Ranger

Where I am in east Texas we received 7 inches to date, with more promised.  Close to flood stage at my office,and I for one, can stand a break.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

elk42

My rain gauge has received 13 1/2" at 8 am this morning.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,

Magicman

The weather guy says that it will get here this afternoon, remain all day tomorrow, and tapering off Saturday.  He shows clear weather for my Monday's sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

timberking

Sawmill Man

"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Magicman

Magicman

You Louisiana guys that washed away, hold onto a limb, I will come floating by in just a bit.  This is crazy!!!

According to WeatherUnderground, we have gotten 9" and it is raining at the 3" per hour rate.     :o

elk42

I have got a total of 16" at 8:30 am this morning and more to come.

Magicman

Yup, today and tomorrow.  Hopefully we will not reach your levels.  Thankfully, we are on a hill so flooding is not a concern.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2016, 08:56:56 AM
You Louisiana guys that washed away, hold onto a limb, I will come floating by in just a bit.  This is crazy!!!

According to WeatherUnderground, we have gotten 9" and it is raining at the 3" per hour rate.     :o

Lynn:
You should consider putting on an extra layer of glue for the toupee and a chin strap on the hat.  I'd hate to hear that you lost either one.
By the way we do not need any more rain here as the ground has just enough frost in it to keep it from absorbing any moisture.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

pineywoods

Plannman may be in more trouble than he thinks. He lives on top of a big hill (like me) but he may be isolated. The road between him and me is gone, washed away. I have a big gulley across my mill yard but no other water damage. Lightening took out a couple of my surveillance cameras and smoked my dsl modem. That's why I been missing for a couple of days. Don't know exactly how much water I got, but I am about 25 miles southwest of elk42, so I likely got more than his 14 inches. One problem I'm seeing is massive oaks with shallow root systems in super-saturated soil just falling over. The amount of water we are getting is not as much a problem as so much in such a short time. When It dries out a bit so I can get around in my timber, I'll be out looking for downed timber.
One unexpected effect, the us mail has not run for 3 days, the distribution center for this area is located in shreveport/bossier city that's been all over the news.   OH UPS is still running, brought me a new dsl modem after dark tonite..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

It's good to hear that you and Nelda are OK my Friend.   :)

Planman1954

So THATS why my check is not in the mail! :D

elk42

Pineywoods
My total was 16" this morning and I to think you got more than I did. Just watching
radar the heavy rain was over you longer than me.

sandhills

Probably, but if your luck's like mine the bills still showed up  :D

Chuck White

Wishing all of you guys in the South good luck dealing with all the flood waters!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

The weather guy says there is a high pressure over GA, keeping the rain over LA, TX and MS.  Been good milling conditions here because of it.  It seems that is the pattern for Apr, May and Jun for us,  The garden will be on life support (hose) by mid May, due to drought.  Ya'll LA, TX, MS guys hang in there.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Our forecast is for ~¾" today and then gone for a few days.  Steady rising temperature with a high of 85° Wednesday.  Spring has sprung.

ScottAR

I saw a bright glowing orb today in the sky briefly...  Scared me to death... ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

sandsawmill14

we have been lucky with the flooding here it would rain 1-2 inches pretty quick then stop for a while then start again giving the water time to go down just enough between showers my dad says it was having to slack off a minute so it could see how to come another one :D but the folks to the north south and west of us are not so lucky pretty major flooding within 30 miles of me on all 3 sides but i havent heard of any to the east yet everyone stay safe the best you can till the water goes back down :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!