The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Truck opinions needed  (Read 1312 times)

Offline furltech

Truck opinions needed
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:09:33 AM »
I have found a 2000 top kick looks in good shape was thinking of buying it for mauling around on my own .MY question, is the ad says it has a 3126 cat with an auto tranny .I have no exp with a heavy truck with auto. do they hold up? .Are they a crap load of money to replace if it is bad .You fellows with some truck  experience what do you think.Price isnt too bad .

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
Re: Truck opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:03:18 AM »
onlly one i ever drove was in a c70 chevy fertilize spreader truck. it was a 4 speed allison and it was indestructable but this truck would be 12-15 yrs older than the one your looking at so i dont know  if its the same trans or not. i prefer a manual trans but i would be misleading if i didnt say that the allison was just as good off road in plowed ground as it was on the road the bed would only hold about 8 ton so it was  never loaded to heavy but it would start off from a stop as hard (no bogging or slipping) as a manual in plowed ground and shifted hard on the road sorta like a performace shift kit in a 350 or 400 turbo but if you didnt really have it wound up it shifted fairly smooth but not like a pick up. i will say my 2 reasons i prefer a manual 1 i like to put it in a gear and it stay  ;D 2 i had a brake line break ( fertilize will eat up anything) as i was coming up to a stop sign in the very truck i was describing and with an automatic trans it took some fancy dodging and circling in a store parking lot to get it stopped with out running over anything. i was only running about 40mph :o when i took the first 90 degree turn to keep from knocking the car ahead of me into oncoming traffic. the good lord was definately with me that morning :) with a manual you can at least gear gear down and kill engine if you have to. with an auto be sure to keep the emergency brake working  :o another lesson i learned that morning :)
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline furltech

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »
Very sound advice something i had not even considered .

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:28:08 AM »
if it was a good truck and i had a "need it now" need for it know the auto wouldnt scare me off but if it was just a bargain i would keep looking  :) but as i said keep the emergency brake up and you should be fine if it is the allison tranny :)
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline Bert

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:37:56 AM »
My m923 5ton has an Allison auto. Seems tough as nails. I haul some huge loads through some rough stuff with it.
Saw you tomorrow!

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
Allisons are very durable in my experience. If I remember correctly, it was about 2 3208 Cats to 1 Allison tranny in some of the old Ford tandem end dumps an asphalt company I worked for had.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline furltech

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
Thanks guys