iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

testing my limits

Started by Dave H., March 08, 2016, 11:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

tested them and found them,lol. first the story,then some pics.several weeks ago we had some bad wind from a storm come thru,taking down quite a few trees.i seen one next to the golf course i take my daughter to.i watched the guy for several days cut branches showing it had crushed his pickup.finally i stopped.talking to the guy i got the story,a tree fell on his roof and this one on his truck.insurance payed for the one one the house to be removed and the tree sevice felt bad and removed the top off his truck leaving about 35 feet of trunk.i knew the trunk was big,i guessed about  24/25",so i made him a deal. i would buck down the trunk,in return i get whatever wood/logs i want.well first day cutting i realized the truck was much bigger(32" at the base).ibucked the top down to 17ft,then cut 2 8'6" logs,leaving about 3ft on the stump,which i got to sit back up in  the hole.second day,well,long story short the first log kicked my butand i ended up hauling off a trailor load of firewood.well i regrouped and this morning  road off with the second log(sortof,lol).

Dave H.

starting(actually the secong cut)

first quarter off

done.

cut the stump off too,let the owner keep it,lol.

back home with the log.

its not pretty but there is some good lumber in there.

hacknchop

Main thing is you got her done.Good color too should be clean,enjoy the salvaging its a good feeling.
Often wrong never indoubt

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

Well done. Helping a neighbor is always worth more than the wood anyway. It does get your attention when one of those big stumps stands back up though doesn't it! We had a big storm 3-1/2 years ago and cut a big pine across a neighbors drive and it just jumped right back up when we had not expected that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

If you do not buck the stump off soon enough, sometimes you have to fell the tree again.   Dangerous stuff.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

If the hole is big enough it's a great place to hide a Body
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

I have heard tales of folks loosing their dogs when a tree stood back up, but they could have been generated by a "wow, what if" reaction.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Nice log ripping. I guessing that's not the first time you have done that.
It took me a few times ripping with a chainsaw to only mess up a couple 1x boards.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Sad story!

Not too far from here a few years ago.

The Dad was cleaning up an uprooted tree and when he cut the butt log off, the stump tipped back into the hole and later they found that one of his little girls had been playing in the hole and was killed instantly!

Always be extra careful when cutting an uprooted tree, lots of bad things can happen!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Percy

Quote from: Chuck White on March 09, 2016, 08:58:39 AM
Sad story!

Not too far from here a few years ago.

The Dad was cleaning up an uprooted tree and when he cut the butt log off, the stump tipped back into the hole and later they found that one of his little girls had been playing in the hole and was killed instantly!

Always be extra careful when cutting an uprooted tree, lots of bad things can happen!
Oh my!! That would be devastating....
Note to self..."Dont bring grandchildren to worksite during activity"
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!