iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hack & Squirt Results?????

Started by twebb, March 08, 2016, 07:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twebb

Hi folks,

If this post is on the wrong sub-forum, I apologise!

After failing to maintain a 10 acre paddock for 3- 4  years due to health issues, I am now trying to clear the regrowth.  A neighbour told me about the hack & squirt method, indicated it is slow but sure and the dead trees easy to remove with a small (35hp) tractor. 

So last year (around August) I jumped in on some sample regrowth with the diameter ranging from 2" to 5".  I used Glyphosate neat, I saw an almost immediate results in terms of the leaves turning brown.

A few days ago I tried to pull a few of the trees out.  In some cases they broke off near the ground or wouldn't pull out.  The smaller ones seemed to pull out OK.  In the larger samples, the small limbs were dry and brittle, but the larger limbs still solid.  In some cases small live trees were as easy to pull out as treated trees that appeared dead.

So now, I don't know what to expect as the end result of the hack & squirt process!  Did I not wait long enough before trying to remove the so called 'dead' trees?  Should I have used Tordon rather than Glyphosate?  Should a dead tree be considerably easier to push over / pull than a live tree?  How do you remove trees killed by the H&S method??

Thank you for your help!

Ted
SE Queensland 

WDH

I use tordon, but if the trees are dead from the hack n squirt, the herbicide used does not really affect how quickly they rot. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

twebb

WDH,

Thank you for the reply,  I'm still confused as to if/how/why H n S facilitates removing (pushing over or pulling out) a tree.  Is it because a dead tree is simply lighter and/or the roots are easier to break free???

Thanks,

Ted

thecfarm

twebb,welcome to the forum.
I have never done what you are doing. But I would "think" it would take time for the roots to rot. Maybe at least a year. BUT than if you wait a year,the top might snap off and come down and hit you on the head   :o when you are trying to pull the tree out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

I worked a big kill unit last year for AG&F, they did the hack and squirt and injection on all hickory trees. The kill zone was done the year previous, they were gonna let my tops dry a bit and set a big hot fire to burn off the killed timber.

711ac

twebb these chemicals facilitate a dead tree (and roots) but do not speed or help in the actual removal process. Like thecfarm suggests, a little rotting time of the finer dense roots that still have it anchored in will help with your breaking off the stem while yanking on it and removal in general.

RCBS

I would consider two options in that scenario.  Chainsaw & stump grinder, or chainsaw & mini excavator.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

twebb

'Thank you' to all who replied!

The general tone that I get from reading your replies is that there is little benefit in using the H n S method when the desired result is to 'remove' the tree.  In other words the H n S will 'kill' the tree, but the 'dead' tree will be no easier to remove than a 'live' tree.  I'm talking about regrowth no larger than 6" diameter (mostly 4" - 5").

If I'm correct with the above statements and assuming the tree is to be removed, why even bother with the H n S????

Again, thank you for your replies, I appreciate the time you took to read and reply to my OP.

Ted

ianoz

Twebb,  With our Aussie trees,I have been told by useing Tordon Etc ,it kills not only the tree ,but the roots as well. If you just push out the trees , the roots left will sprout regrowth ,and you will end up with far more trees than you started with. Wattle trees are real bad for it .
So give the chemicals time to do their job

RPF2509

One thing H&S helps prevent is resprouting from the roots.  If you're trying to get rid of the trees just cut them off and pile and burn. Getting the roots out shouldn't be necessary if the herbicide has killed them.  If you have stump sprouters you need to get all the roots out if you don't kill them with herbicide.

Thank You Sponsors!