iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log slab siding

Started by Prologuy, March 08, 2016, 04:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prologuy

I do some milling of logs and I have a huge pile of log slabs.  I don't want to burn it and I would like to make siding out of it. I want the siding to look like flat on flat logs used in log cabins. Has anyone made a machine that will cut flats on either side of the slab like a board edger.   I don't think an edger would work for this because of the slab thickness variations. But I want it to be self feeding just like a board edger.  I have an idea of what I think would be the best design but I would like to talk to anyone that has built something like this, and maybe give me some pointers

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Prologuy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Prologuy,  A machine you described would be nice.  Edging slabs is a lot of work on the mill:  most have be done one a time, and to get a square edge on the second side, the slab has to be flipped (swap ends),   And most of the time the mill is idling waiting for the next cut.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WH_Conley

It would be about as easy to pop a chalk line on the sawn side and use a skil saw to get a straight vs using the mill one at a time. A 10 inch saw will cut close to 4 inches.
Bill

WV Sawmiller

Interesting concept. I'd have just thought I'd edge it on my mill. Clamping the second side would be more challenging as mentioned below.

One concern I'd have would be how to seal it. Are you going to chink it? If put up vertical as B&B how would you put your battens on? If horizontal I'd think there would be big cracks when the wood dried unless you had KD it first. Could provide a unique design and maybe an untouched market for one of our current waste products.

Another challenge would be nailing it up due to varied thicknesses and how to dry it. Its going to be awful hard to sticker for air or kiln drying.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DonnerParty

I have done it before. I used a long straight-edge, which was a piece of aluminum tube, clamped to the slab, then ran a Big Foot saw down it to make the cut. The Big Foot is an adapter that goes on a Skil Saw to take a 10" blade. Skil is making a stock saw that size now, as well. Set up an apprentice, got them going, and let them have at it.

jimparamedic

they make an edger to edge slabs. it has a conveyor belt on the infeed and out feed table to feed the slab into the blades. Also uses rubber tires to put down pressure on the slab. I ran one at a pallet mill.

Percy

There are many edgers on the market with 4-6 inch capabilities that could do what you are hoping to do. The WM edger pictured above does 4 inch after mucho modification....works well for what you are looking for. I have done many slabs with it. Protruding knotts have to be dealt with...prior to stuffing it in the edger...  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!