iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conicity adjustement?

Started by Satamax, March 07, 2016, 06:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, daft question, my saw has a 46ft track. I'm in the process of working out my future log dogs.

How much conicity adjustement travel do i need.  1ft? Less?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

47sawdust

Satamax,

Conicity......that's not one of them trick French words is it. :P :P :P.I better go to the dictionary.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Satamax

Dunno Mick. It's a french word, and also an English word.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/conicity

What do you call the adjustement which raises the end of a log, to saw parallel to the bark, to make planks? Or which you lets you adjust to saw parallel to the pith?

Thanks.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Chuck White

Leveling the log with the toeboard!

The word conicity had me going too!   :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

No exact number but my wmz has around three inches,? on each front and back toe roller,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

Now that you mention it, my mill has two of those conicity levers to level the log.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

47sawdust

Satamax,
Now that I know the meaning of the word it makes perfect sense.Conicity, as in cone shape,which most logs have.I just added Hyd. toe rollers to my mill and they are very handy.
Good luck with your mill.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Satamax

Well, it's what it's called over here. Tho, old geezers don't use it. I even don't know what they would say when talking with each others.

kelLOGg

Amazing what I learn on the FF. Thanks, Satamax.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

justallan1

Satamax, by your first post it sounds like you are asking about log dogs or stops, to clamp against and keep the log from rolling off the tracks. I would say you want more than half the diameter of the biggest logs you want to saw so when flipping a log or cant your log doesn't try to climb over them, then you lower them as your logs get smaller.
As for your second question, they are toe rollers. I don't have them, but I would go with the idea of "more is better", especially with 46 foot of track. It's better to have and not need than need and not have. :)

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for keeping us on our toes (toeboards?) showing we are never too old to learn (Danger - I keep saying my mental hard drive is full and when I learn something new it means I have to forget something and it may be something that gets me in trouble like forgetting my wife's birthday or her anniversary :D). Maybe we should call them anti-conicity devices since they overcome the cone shape.

Back to your question I guess a large part of the design depends on the location. If close to the center a couple inches extra height relates to 6-8 inches 8-10 feet away. If closer to the end the effect is less. On our WM mills we have two toeboards - one on each end to compensate for flare of the log. I have not measured the height on mine but I'd bet it is 4-6 inches. If designed differently one that we could lower and move from one end of the mill to the other would do the same thing. The extra advantage of 2 with rollers included allows us to raise and roll heavy logs and cants.

Good luck on your build.

By the way - be careful with the language differences. When you come to America for a sawmill or logging conference and tell your classmates you have to go take a douche (French for shower) you are going to get some funny looks. You may get away with it in parts of Canada but in the southern USA it ain't gonna fly well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Satamax

JustAllan1, well, i don't want toeboards, but adjustable height log dogs. Or at least this is how it's done on my saw originaly.

I have bought some log dogs rails from a vertical chariot, and will try to modify for my saw. As the original pneumatic ones cost an arm and a leg and some more!  ;D

I will start a thread about thoses and the options i can take.

WV sawmiller. Don't worry too much about my English. And pardon my French ;D

I've been learning and speaking English for the last 37 years. Tho, i admit, i don't know much about American English.  I've learnt most of my slang "up north" in Northern England and Scottland.  ;D I've been told off here, because even my writen english can be a  bit rough around the edges :D

customsawyer

On my 44' mill I just have the WM side supports. On the LT70 frame they are 14" high and on the 24' extension they are 12" high. I saw from the big end of the log so the small end is at the shorter side supports.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WV Sawmiller

Max,

Don't sweat the language differences. I've always heard the US, UK, Canada and Australia were four countries separated by a common language. Even different parts of the US and I assume the other English speaking countries have unique local dialects. We have hosted 7 different foreign exchange students and that was part of the fun. My wife told our Finnish daughter we had to "Hit the road" and Martina said "Won't that hurt?" and once she told her to "crack a window" in the car and she said "why would you want to break a perfectly good window." Our Swedish daughter used to always say "Put the light on" and I'd say "Put it on what?" (We'd have said turn or switch the light on).

Some common terms in the USA will get you slapped in the UK or Australia.

Keeps life fun and interesting. Keep up the posts. We're learning and enjoying having you with us.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

Satamax:
I have five manual toe-boards on my 52 foot mill.
They take a beating. Got to remember to lower them when rolling on a big log

In 'American' English this is referred to as "squarshed".  :D
They can raise the logs by about 6 inches, which has been enough to take the cone out of the conicity.
As CustomSawyer said, the regular WM log stops, at 14 inches work just fine.
However, they do have the rollers at the top, which is an important detail when turning large diameter logs.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

GAB

Quote from: Satamax on March 08, 2016, 03:30:37 PM
Part of Satamax's quote:

I've been learning and speaking English for the last 37 years. Tho, i admit, i don't know much about American English.  I've learnt most of my slang "up north" in Northern England and Scottland.  ;D I've been told off here, because even my writen english can be a  bit rough around the edges :D

Don't worry about your English.  In my opinion since it is a second language for you you aren't doing too bad.
Note of caution: The English word for a pencil eraser is a rubber.  On this side of the pond the term "a rubber" has a totally different meaning.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Satamax

Gerald, i understand what a ruber is, you used to hear, johnny, johnson, or French letter in UK. All related to French oignon sellers hitting the southern part of uk. And i won't say no more  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!