iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New lot -- TSI

Started by 78NHTFY, March 06, 2016, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

As time and weather permitted, have been doing some dead/dying/crowded WP removal in a 10 acre WP lot I bought last year.  It's WP regen in an abandoned field after the hurricane of 1938, so almost 80 years old.  Am surprised so much WP appears to still be viable, so will be cranking up the LT 40 and sawing it up as soon as I manage to get it all out of the woods.  I estimate about 75 trees/200 saw logs.  That'll keep me out of trouble!!!   Here are some pics.  All the best, Rob.

a plunge-cut on this one; 

dropped where I can; 

; another bunch down;

; a section that's been done; 

; logs (I know: pretty ugly) twichted out with my L2250Kubota+winch--Bella's my log dog: Vizla/Lab mix;

; and loaded onto PATU forwarding trailer ready for trip to mill (after I replace a busted o-ring so grapple works!). 
BTW, before I forget: congratulations to all you new sawyers with your new/used/fab'd mills and welcome to the Forum.   
If you have time, you win....

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Are you sure about 80 years? Or did they not get a good chance to grow,soil not good for them? Maybe I am misjudging the size too.I had some 80 years old ones year,common to be 3 feet across. But does look kinda thick in there too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

That will surely keep you out of trouble.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Onthesauk

Still a nice stand left there!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

jtflynn

Keep it up... You will be surprised at how much WP will grow when released....and you have "free" saw logs ;D

Clark

Nice job thinning that pine! I'm curious about the age, too.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

78NHTFY

Peter--thanks: want some?  By the way, am very impressed with your growing operation.  Will have to stop by someday when in the neighborhood.
thecfarm;Clark:  pretty sure about the age--have counted the rings on both large & small diameter.  As you indicated thecfarm, poor soil (clay) and growing too thickly.  They are all about the same height--80 - 100ft tall.
jtflynn: As WP are released, the crowns should grow nicely and they will grow fat (this is a lot easier than raising cattle :D :D) and I like the "free" sawlogs part!  Had another 5 acre lot done 10 yrs. ago and those WP are almost ready to go.
Onthesauk: Am hoping I have spaced WP well enough so that a diversified new growth understory can take off, grow straight and not be browsed off by deer, and that this WP mono-culture doesn't get whacked by a wind event, or something.  Aside from one lot, my other woods are pretty much mixed hardwood/softwood where I do selective cutting.  When this WP is ready to go, will probably do a clear cut.
WDH  : Have alway believed in moving and doing--at least that way it makes it a bit harder for trouble to find ya!
Let's all stay safe--All the best, Rob.

g_man

Nice job there Rob - looks good. What happens to the pine boards you will make ??

78NHTFY

g-man--they'll be stickered 'till dry and somehow people just show up and buy/trade.  Word of mouth works pretty good here.  Haven't managed to finish my barn yet because there's never enough left for me! :) :D.  BTW, I went back today and counted ring on more stumps and many smaller trees are closer to 50-65 yrs old.  Here's a pic of the lot done 15 yrs ago.   

.  Understory is strong with hard (sugar) maple--see behind the dumb beech.  A nice sugarbush in 50 years, long after I'm planted.  All the best, Rob.

jtflynn

Rob...love the fact you love your land and can see 50 years from now....sure hope my three kids appreciate my piece and the way I've maintained it... Nowadays who knows ::)just keep trying to raise em right and hope for the best!

Peter Drouin

78NHTFY, You're welcome any time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!