iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electrical problem

Started by Bolivian Bluerose, March 06, 2016, 09:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolivian Bluerose

I live in Bolivia, South America. I see there are a couple other members from Bolivia as well.
We have a 1998 Wood-Mizer Super Hydraulic. There is no indication on the mill anywhere about LT40 or 30 or any other model. I live about 200 miles away from where the mill is located and was called in to tune up some of the mechanics of the mill so I wasn't prepared for electric problems.
The main motor that runs the blade is my subject today. It runs off of 440 volts and the relays that energize it are activated from 12 volts. This much I understand.The problem I am seeking answers to...while running some test cuts on the mill yesterday the motor quit in mid cut. When I turn the key to the on position there is no response. I didn't have any test equipment to check the mains voltage or 12 volt system but other equipment around the shop is working ok so it is not a power failure which occur frequently here. I don't have a wiring diagram for the machine otherwise I might be able to figure it out.
Does anyone have access to wireing diagrams for a 1998 Wood-Mizer or have experience with this type of failure?
I will have to make another trip and would like to be more prepared for this problem.
Thank you, Keni

terrifictimbersllc

It would be good if you could get in touch with Woodmizer your self either on the phone or by email. These numbers are on their website, I would go for the Indianapolis location. Also very helpful if you could get the serial number of the mill, it is usually on the inside of the main frame about a fourth of the way back from the front.  Or maybe identify the mill through previous owners. Woodmizer can email you PDFs of the diagrams or manuals whatever you need. Give me a holler if you need help with this be glad to try if it makes it easier for you.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

muggs

I am thinking circuit breaker, or the overloads in the magnetic starter. They are also known as heaters. They are supposed to fail in case of an overload on the motor.        Bob

tacks Y

Seems odd 12v or is this just for the hyd and feed motors? I would think that the motor starter control is a single phase voltage of the 440 or 440v also. Did you reset the overloads? Bad contacts in starter?

Thank You Sponsors!