iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another bandsaw build

Started by TessiersFarm, March 05, 2016, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

My homade bandsaw in action. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdMAc4GX_I

I did a test run yesterday, first time ever running a bandsaw mill, the Alaskan is for sale  :)  Feeling pretty excited!

I have about 50 hrs in it, powered by a Honda rebel 250 motorcycle, including clutch, transmission, tires, 16hp, 1 1/2"x 13'-6" band, 32"x19' log capacity.  As of today I have $365 in it, not including the motorcycle.  Got lots of tips and ideas from here, Thank You All!!!

I was very happy, got a little thick and thin from trying to go too fast, 90% of what I cut was within a 1/16".  Cut 200' of good quality 1x10, and another 100' of so so stuff, a little thick and thin, and a bunch of narrow.  The 1x10 is siding for a building on our property, I cut $250 worth of siding in 2 hrs.   

Just had to share, Thanks Again, even if you didn't know you were helping!!!
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Magicman

Hey, your sawmill sounds like a motorcycle.....oh that's right and it even has a mud sawdust flap!  :D

That is an innovative build.  I would do something with the throttle so that it would remain constant.  I love your log loader.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

When I saw the title of the video, I thought you used motorcycle parts, but no, you used the whole thing! That's amazing.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Slingshot

If you had left the seat on it you could ride it down the track  fly_smiley
(A unique build)   sling_shot

TessiersFarm

I figured why re-invent the wheel, I needed gearing, clutch, tracking, suspension to tighten band, all of which I had right there in front of me.  All stock parts, easy to get.  It is currently setting in my shop, very hard to get a log too, hence the chain falls.  Once I get a few bugs worked out it will move, hopefully to a mill shed.  I plan to build a small 12x12 enclosed building to house the mill head with the tracks under a roof that will extend 12x20 or so.  Figure that will give me good weather tight area, as well as easy open flow for materials.  This is just a farm saw, we have 20 acres of woodlot, and will probably never hire out.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Kbeitz

Now thats the safest way to take out a tree with a cycle...
And you dint even bend the handle bars.
Lookin good.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

Im with Magicman on your log loader. Briliant. You might miss that thing when yoiu move outta there.....  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

thecfarm

Seems to saw good.
On my mill I have a bicycle brake for a throttle. This is where the mill is pushed too. Same size as a bike handle,just grab the handle and it's wide open,get to the end of the log,let go of the thottle,brake handle, and it drops back to a idle.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Great job. Your build turns my 2 favorite hobbies into 1 fun to use machine. 8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Hummmm... I got a low millage 1200cc Goldwing engine sitting in the barn...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!