iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumped with string attached.. Safety warning

Started by timberlinetree, March 04, 2016, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

This really stumped me? Was cutting a maple with lots of pressure. Had a wedge in and saw was full revered watching my cut when whamm! All I can kinda remember is the saw coming to a quick stop,a shock wave, and my face screen went up. First I thought the saw blew. I felt my face then looked for blood. None? Thought a branch. Nope! Started thinking the tree had released pressure? Started thinking someone threw a rock at me( that's what it felt like, but what happened to the saw. This is what I found when I got back to the truck.

The string from my hooded sweatshirt got caught in the pull cord assembly. Most could just shake it off,but I've had quite a few concussion and it got me really car sick. So if anyone has strings attached to their hood,cut them off. This was not to smart of me and feeln yucky! Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

landscraper

For sure - I cut the strings on sweatshirts when I buy them,   On carharrt jackets where I might actually want to use the hood string one day I tie a stopper knot to cinch all the slack back to the eyelet.

Like that story they told us in drivers ed about the guy getting his shoelace caught in his motorcycle sprocket at 55mph.  Who knows if it was true but it sure made you think.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

g_man

A very good warning - glad you are alright. Think of what could have happened !! A lot of us have learned this lesson just like you. It is not just hood strings that can get caught. Anything loose and dangley is bad like a shredded sleeve.

Skip

WOW who wuda thunk! Glad you're ok . I guess you can't be too caeeful.

sandsawmill14

anything loose is a serious danger the only time i ever got cut by a chainsaw i was topping a tree and somehow got my shirt tail caught in the chain and jerked the bar into my upper thigh :o luckily it choked the chain down just as it hit my leg so i only got 4 little holes  in my leg instead of a major gash   :) obviously i wasnt wearing safety gear and still have no idea how i got my shirt caught in the chain ??? smiley_dunce
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ed_K

Had a gas tapper drill do that to me, your neck is going to hurt for awhile. I now tie the ends together and loop the string around the back of the hood. That way I still have the option to pull the hood tight in cold winds.
Ed K

Wudman

I'll throw one more of those freak string accidents into the mix.  Years ago, I had a pair of Bean boots with the speed hook laces.  I was crossing a bridge on the farm (no railings) when the shoestring on my right boot caught in an eyelet hook on the left.  I went headfirst over the edge of the bridge and landed on my head and right shoulder.  I was about 4 feet to the bottom so it wasn't terrible, but it certainly knocked the cobwebs out of my head.  As I was laying there wondering what had just happened, I realized that my boots were still tied together.  I've tripped myself one other time in the same manner.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

WH_Conley

A friend of mine went through the end trimmer at a local mill a few years back. The strings on his sweat shirt caught on the shaft. It took a bit for anybody to realize what was going on and shut it down. He missed the saws but it still messed him up. Broken Breast bone and some ribs. I have seen loose clothing and strings get caught in power shafts, not pretty. I cut the strings out when I get a new sweat shirt.
Bill

jaygtree

glad you are ok. thought your pull cord got caught in something at first look of the picture. i was holding a mast steady for a co worker that was drilling through a 1/2 inch piece of aluminum when his foot long goatee got caught in the drill. no lasting damage but it sure shortened his goatee and he complained of pain.   jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

s grinder

A few years ago a guy from New Hampshire got killed running a stump grinder.Was running a Carlton SP7015 with a wired remote,they usually have a 20 ft.cord and a strap that goes around neck to support the remote box.The wheel turns at 2000rpm at governed speed,don't ask me what possessed him to walk around in front of the wheel to the other side of the grinder,wheel got a hold of the cord and sucked him into the wheel in a second.End of story.

Hilltop366

A local guy got his hoodie strings caught in a concrete core drill while drilling a hole in a building while on staging, his helper (spraying water on the cutter) on the section of staging below him could not see him but heard the drill slow down and pulled the plug on the extension cord just in time before the drill choked him.

I tend to avoid hoods all together unless it is really cold, to me it is not just the string that can be dangerous but the hood as well.

CCC4

That's crazy!!! I never thought of that. Glad you didn't get hurt.

lopet

Good eye opener !!!    I guess that explains why your face shield went up.      Thanks foe sharing .
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

timberlinetree

Thanks and never would have thought these strings could be so bad.had to come home from work still car sick, I don't do good with movement( go carts that sucked,donuts on the jet ski out the whole weekend,topping a tall skinny pine and hanging the top to it,took three days and felt nauseous for some time)so being an astronaut or fellerbuncher operteror is not on my wish list. Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

GRANITEstateMP

I was bucking up some ash for my in-laws OWB a couple years ago with my 372.  It was real cold, I had my winter bibs & chaps on, and a couple sweatshirts, and a real heavy Carhart jacket. all of a sudden the saw stopped and something flew past my head!  Yup pull handle went for a ride!  Ended up being the drawstring at the bottom of the jacket.  Sure did scare me pretty good.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

lumberjack48

I never wore a hooded sweat shirt or a coat with a draw string. But back in the early 60's on a hot day i was running the ole C9 with my shirt tails hanging out. I saw my father running towards me, he grabbed the saw and said, [[ what are you doing, get that shirt tucked in, do you have any idea how bad you'd be cut if the chain got caught on that shirt tail ]] Pretty scary when you think about it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

luvmexfood

Good information. I usually wear a heavy hoodie instead of a coat if it's real cold. Don't wear a coat because they are a little loose and worry about leaning over and it getting caught in saw. Will check my hoodie when I get back to cutting. On the road right now doing some work for a company. Got to make some money and with the mud can't log.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Corley5

Loose clothing, drawstrings, rings, necklaces, leather watch bands, anything that won't break away if it gets caught up in moving parts is dangerous.  A guy I know had a chainsaw kick back catch his wedding ring and pull it back into his hand.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Some good advice. I quit wearing rings some time ago after nearly losing a finger.
~Ron

WH_Conley

We used to have an old gentleman here years ago that they said he jumped off a truck bed. The truck had racks and there was a nail sticking out. His ring caught on it. He was called Three Fingered Jake.
Bill

Jeff

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 06, 2016, 08:51:48 PM
Some good advice. I quit wearing rings some time ago after nearly losing a finger.

Ditto!  ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hacknchop

My brother was checking the starter on a car yrs ago and managed to get his ring caught in wiring which shorted out and burnt his finger all the way around never wore his ring again then again did'nt need to left a pretty noticable scar.
Often wrong never indoubt

Ed_K

I have a scar from losing mine from a chuck on a metal lathe, never put back on. But don't leave it on a tv antena,some how they disapear  >:( .
Ed K

Jeff

I guess my ring actually saved some injury to my hand, but I still had to get the ring cut off when it deformed.  We were putting an engine in a 440 in a mopar and I was feeling down trying to get a motor mount bolt in. Somehow had my hand between the mount and the frame when the engine slipped in its chain and pinned my hand right at the ring. Probably would have been hurt had the ring not taken part of the impact.

My real wake up on rings was years ago when one of our drivers swung down and jumped off the steps of his truck by the side mirror, some how snagging his ring on the mirror support. It popped his finger right off.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!