iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jd 440a powershift question

Started by june, March 03, 2016, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

hey guys today i was ridding on my skidder and than a horrible diff gear screaming came to my ear ( toc toc toc) . i stop and look under and hydraulic oil was porring out of the transfer case ( were the front drive shaft goes in). i tried to take it it out of the wood  but it didint sound right to my ear

here is what i am thinking to figure what is it.   pull out front and rear drive shaft and trying to pull the machine it if it scream i know it is one of  the differential and if it dosent scream i will know it is the transfer case

does that sound good to you guys at this point any suggestion would be appreciated

teakwood

You shoud have a disconecting lever (540A has) under the upper pivot point. pull that and try to haul the machine
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

grassfed

The front drive shaft passes right below the transmission. There is very little clearance there and I have seen several 440s that had been cracked or damaged in this area from broken u joints. This could explain the leaking fluid. JB weld seems to work if the damage is not too bad. I always try to check that front shaft and make sure the U Joints are good and the bolts are tight . 
Mike

june

yeah guys the dammage is a broken joint on the front drive shaft that twisted so much that it snap the trans outputshaft and cover . i saw the cover on ebay for 85 dollar but the shaft is about 650 dollars outch so tomorow familly ride to eddy nash equipment i hope he will be easy on my wallet

Thank You Sponsors!