iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM showing in Ridgeway Pa

Started by tacks Y, March 03, 2016, 08:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Wood Mizer has a demo near me next weekend. The question? As a new owner of a used brand X would I learn anything about milling at this demo? I know they are there to sell there mills and this is WM country around here. So is it worth driving a hour each way to see? Thanks     

terrifictimbersllc

You'll learn about  milling with a band mill and about their different bandsaw models.  I doubt a lot else about milling logs in general, they tend to try to use only a few logs at such demos.  What else would you be hoping to learn?   WM doesn't sell swing blade mills.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

tacks Y, absolutely go.  It's not about brands or sawmill types, but learning.  A day talking and listening is never wasted.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

You'll probably find it very fun and that will be excuse enough. Also you will probably get good insight into what your mill can do that a bandsaw cannot. Your niche if you will.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GAB

I go to shows and fairs for ideas, to see what is on the market, as well as to how others do things.  You'd be surprised as to what you can learn just watching.
Who knows you might also get answers to some of your questions.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

By all means go. Pick the brains of all the other sawyers you meet there. Everything you learn will make you a better sawyer. Some of the saws you see with have features your mill may not have but your mill may have some things they don't have but the basics are the same no matter what.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tacks Y

I should have noted my brand X is a hydraulic band mill. They say they will have a manual and hyd mill there. Thanks

red

After you go to this show be sure to let us know how Good it was  !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Go, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Don't just talk to the ones putting the demo on, talk to the people in the crowd too!

You'd be surprised how much information you'll pick up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I would go. I just like to look,but if I can find someone to talk to,that much better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Robert Owens

Go, enjoy, and learn from everyone there including the Demonstrators and the people watching the presentation. I have a Cooks mill but have learned a ton of information at each Wood Mizer event I have attended.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Yes , come ask questions. Please ,  you can tell us what mill you have and will answer as many questions as we can related to sawing, blades. We mostly saw White Pine at this event.
Hope to see you there.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

And there you have it tacks Y.  A personal invite from the WM man himself.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I didn't know Brand X sells band mills. Not seeing it on their web site.  Must be new for them?

GAB

Quote from: MartyParsons on March 04, 2016, 08:08:39 AM
Hello,
Yes , come ask questions. Please ,  you can tell us what mill you have and will answer as many questions as we can related to sawing, blades. We mostly saw White Pine at this event.
Hope to see you there.
Marty

If you can please post a photo of the get together.
Thanks,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Sixacresand

Absolutely go to it.  Carry a lunch and a folding chair.  Plan on spending the day. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Minehart Gap

tacks Y, the last time I went to one of the get together's near Shade Gap, they showed interesting ways to set up the mill that has saved my back from hours of bending. Also, if my memory serves, they had a courtesy lunch (might want to check first its been a couple of years) and I picked up a cant hook that is the best I have found.
Norwood Ind. Lumbermate 2000, Case 580, Polaris 500 ATP, Lots of home fabricated goodies and 2 Haflinger (small draft) horses.

"Every problem is an opportunity in disguise." - Benjamen Franklin

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Minehart Gap.   8)

rooster 58

tacks
   Definitely go to the show. I was there yesterday,  Marty will be there next week. Thursday thru Saturday I think.  He will give you valuable information that will help you

tacks Y

Made it to Ridgeway this am. Looked at the 40 hydraulic they were running, talked to the operator. Marty was not there. Liked the looks of the 40, WM does nice work on there machines. Glad I went, I just have other places to be today also. 

Thank You Sponsors!