iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY small vacuum kiln?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, March 02, 2016, 01:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

If I wanted to quickly dry one or two slabs at a time, is it possible and what would it take to build a small vacuum kiln that would fit in my garage?  For example having interior space for slabs say 5' x 1' x 12'.  :P  ??? ???

p.s.  A related question is what is the smallest vacuum kiln I could buy that would dry 2-3" thick slabs reliably in a few weeks?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

low_48

This comes up every few years. Use the search and you will find posts going back to 2005.

Den Socling

If it was possible, we would be building them. We are asked umteen times a week for a cheap little vac kiln for hobby woodworkers. It just can't be done. Little pieces of wood might be dried in a chamber made from PVC pipe. A single slab might be dried in a plastic bag submerged in hot water. But a kiln? Nope.

Ianab

Dens probably done the maths, but I don't see any way of making a cheap vacuum chamber (big enough to hold a couple of large slabs anyway)

Now maybe if you lucked across a large steel pressure vessel and had the engineering skills to modify it? But that's getting out of the usual 'hobby" range of skills.  ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks for your replies. Well I did say DIY, I did not say cheap, and I also asked about a commercial unit. From what I see there is no good way to drive a few slabs except possibly to send them out. It seems to me there could be a market here for a small unit.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Den Socling

We build a 3000 bf kiln that is the smallest that is economically feasible for us. When you scale down capacity, manufacturing costs don't scale down equally. For example, the control system for a 1250 bf kiln cost almost the same as control for a 10,000 bf kiln.

plowboyswr

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 06, 2016, 09:50:20 AM
Thanks for your replies. Well I did say DIY, I did not say cheap, and I also asked about a commercial unit. From what I see there is no good way to drive a few slabs except possibly to send them out. It seems to me there could be a market here for a small unit.
try reading this
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,66317.0.html

lots of :P
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

terrifictimbersllc

This is great , thank you. I missed it. Will read it carefully when I get back to civilization my phone is too small.

serg

Hello, friends!
We do a lot of vacuum drying tank. Volume 1 - 25 m3. A small volume of 1 m3, installed power 9 kW.
See how to do it on youtube channel.
Serg

https://youtu.be/ZMs2cd97Hi0

serg

The computer does not want to translate! :D

Thank You Sponsors!