iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moisture meters

Started by xlogger, March 02, 2016, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Just got off phone with Lignomat, I was asking if there was a way to check my meter for accuracy. She told me to check using a phone book and it would probably be around 8-9%. Also I ask her about a pin meter and she suggested their model DXC, it sells for $350 and you can buy a kiln kit for an extra $225 with insulated pins that you leave in wood and hook cable to and connect to your meter outside to check the mc. Anyone know much about one, I'm going to have to get a pin meter. I put some air dried cherry in kiln and it showed between 9-12%. I would not think it would be that low air drying for a couple months. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

terrifictimbersllc

I have the DX/C , the hammer probe with longer pins, and also a wireless one, they came together as a set.    I like to check MC with the pins then scan the wood at the same point for a reference, then scan a lot of other places on the board to get a full idea, without poking it full of holes. 

For reference, if one has an accurate scales like a digital postal scales, one can check the MC of a piece of wood by weighing it, putting it in an oven or microwave and heating it until it no longer loses weight, then dividing the loss in weight by the oven dry weight.  That result is the MC of that piece which should hopefully match what the meter read for that piece.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DelawhereJoe

Only because it's titled moisture meters, aside from being cheap and crap, any one use a harbor freight moisture meter, or like most things do you pay for what you get?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

LIGNOMAT IS GOOD AND SO IS DELMHORST.  CHECK OUT BOTH OF THEM.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Glenn1

Ricky,

I have the DX/C and I purchased two sets of cables with kiln pins.  I have them working now in a load of cherry.  So far, they seem to be working well.  I need to purchase the Electrode E12 so I can measure my thick stock.  I don't think that the extra cables with kiln pins costs $225. You can get a set of cables with kiln pins for around $39 per set. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

xlogger

You are right Glenn I was looking at the wrong item.

Gene, the Lignomat model DX/C sell for $350 with hammer probes and the Delmhorst J-2000 is about $100 more, wonder which one is the best?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Look at the Delmhorst J-2000X.  It is made for kiln use and can measure higher moisture contents according to the specs.  I have it with the slide hammer and 1 1/2" insulated pins.  Works great. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on March 02, 2016, 08:23:45 PM
Look at the Delmhorst J-2000X.  It is made for kiln use and can measure higher moisture contents according to the specs.  I have it with the slide hammer and 1 1/2" insulated pins.  Works great.
Me too, I use it with and without the slide hammer.  It corrects for temp and species. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Cazzhrdwd

J-2000 is the one I have, They also have excellent customer support.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

WDH

That is a fact.  They answer the phone when you call. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

Other than the fact that the J2000X will read at higher MC, is it any better than the J2000? As far as I care I'm only needing to know MC when it under 30%.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Nou other difference.  Note that the uncertainty at high MCs (over 30% MC) is quite large.

The best meter, if you are selling KD lumber, is the same one that most of your customers will be using to double check the MC.  Otherwise, you can see a slight difference between two different meter manufacturers, so which one is correct?  The answer is that the customer is always right...maybe?  So, if selling, also specify that the meter to be used if there is a question about MC is the (you choose the model and manufacturer).  In my experience, the Delmhorst and Lignomat meters are the most accurate and are easiest to get repaired.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

Still trying to decide on which one I'm going to get. Will anyone of them work on 4-5" mantels or any wood that thick?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The pin meter does using long nails or meedles

WDH

Delmhorst J2000X with the slide hammer  :)

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2016, 09:12:58 PM
Delmhorst J2000X with the slide hammer  :)
It only hurts when you have pay for it...
I've also had one for years, they work well. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Glenn1

I just received the slide hammer for my Lignomat.  Now I just have to wait for the pins.  Guess they forgot to ship them. :(
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

xlogger

I decided on the Delmhorst J-2000 with 26-ES Electrode, they are going to ship it out today.

xlogger

I hope I will get it next week. But a couple questions, maybe I'll see what I need to know when I get it.

Gene you said that you can leave the pins in the wood in the kiln. Do you take them out of the slide hammer after you drive them in and can you pull them out later and reuse them?
If you are checking 8/4 slabs and drive the pins into the live edge side of the wood, does that give you a good reading like driving it into the flat face of the wood?
Do any of you have the Kil-Mo-Trol System? I've looked but can't find price on computer.
I forgot to ask the lady on the phone when I order it but can you get pins with cables connected to them that plug into the meter? So you can use it for checking the middle of the stack where you can't get the meter.

WDH

The slide hammer attachment has a cable that connects the meter to the pins.  The slide hammer is used to drive the pins in.  The cable is about 3 feet long.

YellowHammer

Also, you can use the meter in a conventional non slide hammer configuration, or simply attach the cable for the slide hammer. 
YellowHammerisms:

xlogger

Do leave them connected in the kiln while drying, so you can just plug your meter in each time you want to check?

YellowHammer

I have multiple kilns so I don't leave them in.  Also, most of my wood is 4/4 so I generally use the short probes permanently mounted to the front of the unit. I have one kiln that has 8/4 and use the slide hammer when checking that, but don't leave them in or the hammer will rust.
YellowHammerisms:

xlogger

OK I see what you are talking about. I was thinking you could disconnect the pins out of the hammer. I guess if I just wait I'll see them myself.

Robert Owens

I think you will really like the J-2000. I received mine a few weeks ago and got the slide hammer as well. It works great for the 2" thick material and being able to go through and pick the correct number that relates to the species you are testing is much easier than calculating. The meter can even be adjusted for temperature. I am impressed with the Delmhorst meter.

Thank You Sponsors!