iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar ps 421

Started by Bigcountry8530, March 01, 2016, 09:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigcountry8530

I have narrowed my choice for a new saw down to the Dolmar 421. Can you guys give your opinions on this saw and any known issues with it. Thanks Brian

sweetjetskier

You posted this same question on another site and had many excellent inputs / thoughts on the Dolmar 421, one could not have better first hand experiences with said saw from that site.

No need to ask the same questions again, go buy the 421 and smile every time you make chips fly with it.

smile_juggle
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Bigcountry8530

Yes I did post this on other sites. I just want to have as much information as possible. My fiancé has never heard of Dolmar before so I am trying to show her that I did my research and am making the right choice.

CR888

Take the advice given on the other forum and stop pestering good people. Getting your wife's approval on a chainsaw tells me you need to harden up man sheez. I really don't know what advice to offer people like you, either hand in your man card and wear a dress or take the advice others have taken the time to give you and go buy a saw. It's just a 40cc saw! Get a wild thang, you will probably never wear out a chain let alone the Dolmar. Even better advice is to get your wife to cut the wood and do some knitting instead, make a nice jumper or soft gloves so you don't break a finger nail!

gspren

Hey guys lighten up and don't bully the man for being cautious, this may be a really big purchase for him. The other site seems to go for insulting each other but don't start that here.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DelawhereJoe

If it was me looking for a 40cc class saw, i would just pony up for the stihl 241 c-m...more hp then the dolmar or husky 346xp...but thats just me.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Jiles

Quote from: CR888 on March 02, 2016, 01:08:35 AM
Take the advice given on the other forum and stop pestering good people. Getting your wife's approval on a chainsaw tells me you need to harden up man sheez. I really don't know what advice to offer people like you, either hand in your man card and wear a dress or take the advice others have taken the time to give you and go buy a saw. It's just a 40cc saw! Get a wild thang, you will probably never wear out a chain let alone the Dolmar. Even better advice is to get your wife to cut the wood and do some knitting instead, make a nice jumper or soft gloves so you don't break a finger nail!
Personally--I see nothing wrong with you making a hundred post! If it doesn't interest me, or I have seen it before, I just move on. Just my opinion.
Satisfy needs before desires

346xp

EDITED BY ADMIN  >:( >:( >:(

John Mc

I thought things were getting a little out of line here. We help each other on this forum, not attack people for asking questions. 

346XP, your comment was more than just a little out of line. That was completely inappropriate.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

The PS-421 is a high quality saw - but it is a bulky, heavy and clumsy handling saw for just 42cc and a 2.2 kW output.
The only good reason I see for buying one is a low price for a high quality saw (on the markets were it actually is low).
Information collector.

DonT

I picked up a used Dolmar from a local yard sale.I wanted it to ride on my snowmobile while I was grooming ski trails.I have been very impressed with it. Dealer support is a big consideration when buying any saw.  I have to add that the forum is not the  place for negativity and personal attacks.

Jeff

346xp,  if you EVER EVER make another post like that on this forum, I will ban you forever and if I ever see you in person for defiling my Forestry Forum, You will regret it.  This is a family friendly website and you have been here long enough to know better than to EVER make a post like that here.  Not funny or appropriate one bit.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

This is good a place to say this as any, now that I have read the rest of this topic.   I'm not going to stand for the juvenile theatrics you guys act out on other sites. If you don't want to be adult, if you don't want to respect your fellow members and the rules of the Forestry Forum, get the hell off my website and stay off or I will take you off and if you try any other means to get back on I'll use every measure of Michigan's strict computer and network access laws to make an example of you.
346xp has been banned from doing anything other than reading here for 5 days. Don't make a point of joining him for a permanent ban.

gspren

Lets get back to talking 40cc chainsaws, I am also thinking of getting one for this tired old body and would like to learn something. I never hear much wrong with Dolmars in general but with no nearby dealers I will probably go for the 241 Stihl which has been reviewed favorably.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mad murdock

If I were in the hunt for a 40cc saw, I would look at either the Dolmar or an Echo.  I do not like the overpriced nature of Stihl saws in general.  Parts prices for Stihl saws are just as out of line, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Mc

I've heard decent things about Dolmar - good construction for a decent price. Maybe not quite as "refined" as some other designs in terms of handling or weight, but generally a decent saw.

I'd consider buying one If we had a decent dealer in my area, but there is no one around here selling them. I'm using Husky and Jonsered, mainly because we have some great servicing dealers in my area. Most of the Jonsered dealers seem to have disappeared once TSC got into that line (those dealers were already past "normal" retirement age anyway, and probably figured it was just time to get out). Some Husky dealers have retired, but we still have one good one nearby. We also have a good Stihl dealer, so my next saw will likely be a Husky or a Stihl.  If I were a better chainsaw mechanic, maybe the local dealer options would not mean so much to me, but it's a primary consideration for me now.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jiles

FWIW---I buy, repair, and sell chainsaws, blowers etc. I have done this for many years but now do it as a hobby. Nothing sells like a Stihl or Husky but my favorite is Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Husqvarna and Stihl--in that order.
I have sold all my M/D but one and it is a keeper. It is an older Makita DCS520i that has always started with ONE pull hot or cold.
Most of my customers have never heard of a M/D but when they cut with one, they are impressed with their torque and smoothness.
It is a little different with me and I have not been in a dealership, for parts, in many years. Ebay and Amazon has everything, but `a dealer is important for someone that needs them.
So--it is my personal opinion that Stihl and Husqvarna are greatly overrated and D/M are underrated.
All the saws I mentioned are great tools and a person has to decide what he likes best, for me, its torque, simplicity, and smoothness. 
Satisfy needs before desires

NCFarmboy

Totally agree on underrated saws.  I absolutely love my Dolmar/Makita's.  Don't have a 6800 or 520 yet but I will.  Have Makita 7901, 2-w/BBK, 681 Solo, 5-5100, 510, and 421.  Next is a 694/9010.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

CTYank

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on March 02, 2016, 09:37:22 AM
If it was me looking for a 40cc class saw, i would just pony up for the stihl 241 c-m...more hp then the dolmar or husky 346xp...but thats just me.

I would suggest that you ignore stihl's published power figures. They're often laughable- fiction.

The Dolmar 421 is a great saw in the 40cc class, powerful, smooth and just fun to use. If you have to work for your $$, Dolmar really stands out for value. IME Dolmars really don't need a dealer hovering over them. If you can manage feeding one the proper fluids, and maintain the chain, that should cover it. And, clean the air filter now & then. Invest the savings as you see fit.  8)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Jeff

Quote from: CTYank on March 09, 2016, 04:12:49 PM

I would suggest that you ignore stihl's published power figures. They're often laughable- fiction.

I guess I have a question about such a statement. What kind of testing equipment and access to baseline production saws to be able to repute their company data?

Fishnuts2

The Dolmar 421 is a great saw in the 40cc class, powerful, smooth and just fun to use. If you have to work for your $$, Dolmar really stands out for value. IME Dolmars really don't need a dealer hovering over them. If you can manage feeding one the proper fluids, and maintain the chain, that should cover it. And, clean the air filter now & then. Invest the savings as you see fit.  8)

I'm new to this site, but have been watching it for a couple of years.  I completely agree with the above statement.  The 421 is really a good value.  As regards to power ratings, I think Dolmar delivers a little more than promised compared to some of the more well known brands.

SawTroll

Quote from: Jeff on March 09, 2016, 04:50:41 PM

I guess I have a question about such a statement. What kind of testing equipment and access to baseline production saws to be able to repute their company data?

As it looks to me, independent dyno testing tells they are about true (like other brands) - the problem is that max hp specs just is a snapshot of one point of the power curve (trough the rpm), so it is limited how much they tell about total performance.

Stihl saws generally have been better liked by people that look for low end torque, than by those who look for top end performance (over max hp rpm).

My personal opinion is that torque more than about 1 to 1.5K rpm below max hp usually is worthless, as the cutting will be slow anyway - but people that often use smaller saws than the situation calls for obviously will disagree.

There has been some models that have given "Stihl hp" a bad reputation though, as the power falls off more than usual both right above and right under max hp rpm, namely the 029/290 series of saws.

It doesn't help on the reputation that they lately have "adjusted" specs upward without any obvious changes to the engines, when the competition "called" for it. This has happened to the 441, 362 and 261 - and I don't know the truth.
Information collector.

CTYank

Quote from: Jeff on March 09, 2016, 04:50:41 PM

Simply from extended experience with various stihls alongside other mfgs (Dolmar, RedMax, PPro) saws.
Wherein the stihls rated as more powerful didn't fare all that well.
On another site a gent of scientific/engineering bent built himself a chainsaw dyno. One particularly underpowered saw, compared to claimed specs, was the stihl 660. A certain porter in TN was able to get much more power out of that model. Hmmmm.
After you experience a few instances of obvious truth-stretching, a company loses credibility. OTOH, there's absolutely no reason to presume that the gospel originates in Waiblingen, is there? I'd suggest that the onus is on the vendor to verify their claims.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

ladylake

High HP ratings sell saws no matter how they really cut. Same with lawn mowers, snowmobiles etc.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: CTYank on March 11, 2016, 09:36:05 PM

On another site a gent of scientific/engineering bent built himself a chainsaw dyno. One particularly underpowered saw, compared to claimed specs, was the stihl 660. A certain porter in TN was able to get much more power out of that model. Hmmmm.
After you experience a few instances of obvious truth-stretching, a company loses credibility. OTOH, there's absolutely no reason to presume that the gospel originates in Waiblingen, is there? I'd suggest that the onus is on the vendor to verify their claims.

I wonder if that self made dyno was calibrated and certified (or whatever it is called)? If not, the results doesn't prove anything.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!