iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab Rack

Started by 4x4American, March 01, 2016, 08:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Good Afternoon,

I want to weld a slab rack up out of prolly 3 or 4" channel today (if I can get the steel).  Just gonna do a basic design the way that Baker makes em.  Here's my idea.  Once the slab rack is full, I will band the slabs and set them out by the road for sale for firewood.  So I want them to about what a pickup truck could fit.  Anyone have a size that works well for you?  I will make it a V shape too so that as it gets full it squeezes together so that the banding doesn't have to pull it so tight..that's the idea anyways.

Do you think 3" will do or would I be better to go with 4"? 

Thanks
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Not sure about the "V" shape you are talking about, I am thinking of one that makes more square bundles so that they sit flat and can be stacked if need be,,

something like this works pretty good, one bundle is a pretty good load if the slabs are green.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sixacresand

DRobertson, Neat stack of slabs.  Somebody would buy that stack and build something out of it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

Quote from: Sixacresand on March 01, 2016, 08:42:34 AM
DRobertson, Neat stack of slabs.  Somebody would buy that stack and build something out of it.
six you are correct, these in fact did get used up on a small siding job, an ole fellow stopped by just as I was banding them up,  but rest assured, not all bundles look like this one, these were nice logs uniform and straight, the rack right now is full of a mess! somewhat straight but logs with butt swells and lots of knots,, I'll tell ya the ole saying tougher than a pine knot, carries a lot of truth as far as I'm concerned  ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

Grand idea, DR!  The Baker one looks like it has a V shape and I fgured thats wht it was for, but it makes more sense that way.  Btw, that is a very neat stack you got there.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I made one from four inch channel. It bent. The one I made from six inch h beam was better. Don't load the slabs, unless you like paying for body work. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DDW_OR

great idea drobertson.

Sixacresand: when i was a kid i built many a fort out of slabs.
"let the machines do the work"

4x4American

Maybe three inch channel will be the way to go.  Maybe not.  I like DR's with the pipe.  Maybe I'll just go to the local train track and cut me some track to use..yea that oughta be tough lol  (JUST KIDDING)

I am just finishing up on getting my design for drag back fingers completed then gonna call around to local steel/scrap yards and see what I can source.
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

adding a little draft angle would not hurt a thing, just a few degrees, letting the rack sit, then rained on thru the night, there is some swelling of the wood, so at times a pain to pull out,, a draft angle would help, wider at the top, does not have to be much, any would help.

Peter Drouin

I made it so I can cut the pile in ½. Or leave it 8' And band it and lift it out. Or pick the whole thing up and move it around.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Nice rack too.  I'll post a pic of the one I was gonna model.  I made a wood rack a couple years ago.  They're pretty much just a free standing piece.  It's a 6x6 with an upright on each end.  That way I can move em closer or farther apart if necessary.  Honestly wasn't a bad way to do it I might just make some more of dem.  Might be a good way to practice some timber frame joinery. 

That's one heck of a bark inclusion in that board  :o
Boy, back in my day..

Ohio_Bill

I am not a welder and don't even try . I am blessed to have a son-in-law that makes his living as a welder and he is kind enough to help me out. So a lot of things I do on the spur of the moment evolve other techniques. . I needed a slab rack in a hurry and drilled some holes in reject ties and dropped some pipe in them . 

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Brucer

Here's my system. How it evolved, what it's made from, some dimensions, and how one of my customers (and now me) gets the wood into the woodshed.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62424.msg1158247.html#msg1158247
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tree Dan

Use what you can get your hands on.
imo, 3" channel for the bottom and keep that about 8" off the ground,
Us 2" pipe for the 4 posts...run a pc of tube or angle or what ever you have from post to post on the right and left side for the slabs to rest on. alow the slabs to over hang.
Make the rack so you can pick up the whole works, by your pallet forks, or pick up just the slabs by raising your forks up.

Have fun 8)
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on March 01, 2016, 07:20:31 PM
Nice rack too.

There was a time in my life that a statement like that would not be wood, or sawmill related.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Quote from: redprospector on March 03, 2016, 09:07:09 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on March 01, 2016, 07:20:31 PM
Nice rack too.

There was a time in my life that a statement like that would not be wood, or sawmill related.  :D

lol lol lol

you must be talking about a hefty built rack and pinion lol
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

OneWithWood

I welded up this simple rack using 1 1/2" angle.  I stack the slabs on skids.  Band it up.  Cut in half.  Move to OWB and cut in half again.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

I see the thread title and am still thinking Ribs.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

All threads eventually turn to food. :D
Bill

bkaimwood

Quote from: drobertson on March 01, 2016, 08:32:14 AM
Not sure about the "V" shape you are talking about, I am thinking of one that makes more square bundles so that they sit flat and can be stacked if need be,,

something like this works pretty good, one bundle is a pretty good load if the slabs are green.
NICE RACK...aside from the functionality, I was thinking, man, so neat....doc musta been sawin' some NICE logs...:)
bk

21incher

How about some old pallet racking. You could lay the uprights down, cut load channels in half to use for uprights and have a quick to make adjustable rack. You can pick that stuff up on craigslist pretty cheep.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

4x4American

I finally remembered to take a picture of what I wanna build.  Notice it has that V shape I talked about.  Baker sells these.

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

A vee is good. I have an idea for self releasing parallel racks, but it would take some extra work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

I get it now 4x4,, that v I call draft angle.and  yea they pull out easier with the angle, been wanting to draft mine a little,

Thank You Sponsors!