iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl M-Tronic

Started by jargo432, February 28, 2016, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Dad bought a 261 M-tronic 2 months ago, loves it.

The ease of starting is a big plus for a 77 year old.

I've ran it, seems to have more power than my 026, but my saw has a lot of miles on it.

Ed

HolmenTree

Quote from: blackoak on January 11, 2017, 09:34:48 PM
Quote from: ZeroJunk on February 29, 2016, 06:20:48 PM
You might be surprised how many tree service guys never make any engine adjustment to a saw, ever.
And when they do they screw it up.  There have been many ,many saws screwed up by guys with little screw drivers that didn't know what they were doing
Yep most of these tree arbs are so focused on the latest handiest dandiest rope  friction hitch, brush chipper, boom truck.... that they totally neglect to fully understand their most important tool to get the job done in the first place.  :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

M-tronic is based on the early Husky AT, and they pay royalties to Husky to use it.

Husky didn't want that to happen, but the EU forced them to, to "avoid a monopoly situation". The same is the case with some "strato" patents. As some may know, the EU effectively is attempting to move all production of "final products" to Germany, and Sweden was stupid enough to join the EU.
Norway never did, formally, but there are close relations anyway, so a lot of the crap that the EU comes up with applies here as well.

Rant over.
Information collector.

SawTroll

New rant;

I may have forgot to say that I don't like the EU, and the multitude of agendas that system has - and the main culprit is of course Mrs Merkel, that want everything to be centralized into Germany, and is doing a too good job about it.
Also, the EU "parliament" are politicians that didn't succeed in their home country, but were "cast off" to the EU - and politicians are the lowest creeps on the earth. They are earning good money by just having opinions and "debating", not by doing anything useful.

Often they spent years at a university (collage) to study some meaningless subject, "debating" and drinking a lot of beer in the process - there are several hundred meaningless "subjects" that can get you a collage degree, more or less specially designed for such people, so they end up with a degree that sound fine, but is totally useless outside politics. The state and communities here don't understand (or simply ignore) that those degrees are meaningless, so the ones that doesn't succeed in politics can get a well paid job there, because of their meaningless "degree".

On top of that they often are arrogant, because they have a "degree" - never mind that it is totally useless in any context.
Information collector.

Jesper Jepsen

I'm very pleased with the M-tronic on my MS 661 and it doing something I can tell. When I go from have done some milling to doing some felling the saw seems "dull" it have optimized it self to run full throttle and using it's torque and not to get quick up to speed but after after a couple of minutes it have adjusted itself to the work I'm doing so something is going on :) 
The main reasons for me to buy the new 661 instead of the 660 was the lower fuel consumption but mostly lower vibrations in the handles.

Jesper

snowstorm

Quote from: SawTroll on January 13, 2017, 09:57:03 PM
New rant;

I may have forgot to say that I don't like the EU, and the multitude of agendas that system has - and the main culprit is of course Mrs Merkel, that want everything to be centralized into Germany, and is doing a too good job about it.
Also, the EU "parliament" are politicians that didn't succeed in their home country, but were "cast off" to the EU - and politicians are the lowest creeps on the earth. They are earning good money by just having opinions and "debating", not by doing anything useful.

Often they spent years at a university (collage) to study some meaningless subject, "debating" and drinking a lot of beer in the process - there are several hundred meaningless "subjects" that can get you a collage degree, more or less specially designed for such people, so they end up with a degree that sound fine, but is totally useless outside politics. The state and communities here don't understand (or simply ignore) that those degrees are meaningless, so the ones that doesn't succeed in politics can get a well paid job there, because of their meaningless "degree".

On top of that they often are arrogant, because they have a "degree" - never mind that it is totally useless in any context.
sounds a lot like here

ladylake

Quote from: SawTroll on January 13, 2017, 09:57:03 PM
New rant;

Your best post ever, tell it like it is.   Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

HolmenTree

I agree great post Niko :)
And like you said it all "goes back to Germany " like history had always proven that.
Seems logical enough Britain breaks away from the EU .......
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Weekend_Sawyer

It's just a tiny bit off topic tho...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

khntr85

Hey I believe you will absolutely love the 461 I know I do..... being able to bury a 25" bar in any hardwood and not slownitbdown is prettty sweet.....

I know it's been stated slot, but the saw will gain attitude after a break in time.....I know my 461 was quite a bit stronger after 10-15 tanks of fuel, than it was after only a tank or two...

Let us know what you think of it...... oh and what size bar do you have on her!!!!

WoodBurner19

Quote from: khntr85 on January 20, 2017, 06:33:11 AM
Hey I believe you will absolutely love the 461 I know I do..... being able to bury a 25" bar in any hardwood and not slownitbdown is prettty sweet.....

I know it's been stated slot, but the saw will gain attitude after a break in time.....I know my 461 was quite a bit stronger after 10-15 tanks of fuel, than it was after only a tank or two...

Let us know what you think of it...... oh and what size bar do you have on her!!!!

I cannot wait to run it! I gotta 20" b/c
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

joe_indi

I have two cars, the older one with a carburetor and the other with fuel injection controlled by an ECU.
The one with the carb is good to drive, stamp on the accelerator and off it goes. Go up a hill it takes it easily halfway and if I keep the accelerator pressed a bit of pinging comes on unless I change gears. If I go up into the mountains the engine runs rich unless I open up the carb and put in a leaner jet or adjust the fuel screw and/maybe the ignition timing.
If I happen to have fuel that is a bit 'off' the engine plays up and starts knocking. On the highway (not so frequently) I find that my setting of the carb and timing for my usual drive is not that great. Ditto in traffic.
In my newer ECU controlled car, all the variables are taken care of, the temperature, the altitude, the position of the accelerator, the gear selected,whether I am riding the clutch the quality of fuel, and much more.
It does have its negatives, but a whole lot of positives, depending on the situation.
The M-Tronic would be something like that ECU I think.

stevesula

Have MS461's throughout our fire department with no issues.

joe_indi

I just thought I should mention this.
The MS461 does not have M-Tronic. It is a 3 pole coil that electronically advances the ignition timing and also limits the rpm to 13500.
It has an exhaust stratified system which saves fuel by a good 20% when compared to its 'older' brother the 046/460.
Though power specs are the same as the 460, the power and torque delivery are much better.

khntr85

I also was shocked at how much torque the saw had.... I mean you can lean on the 25" bar in the hardwoods I cut here in Indiana, and she just eats right threw it....I know that the saw is a minor benefit to me and my small operation, so I am very happy....

A buddy of mine that I buy part saws off of has a ported 372 husky waiting on me whenever I am ready to buy it....i can't wait to see what the husky saws are about, granted this one is ported, but it's a husky none the less.... everyone love the 372, so I am very anxious to try her out!!!!

Woodcutter_Mo

I just bought a new 372xp and so far really like it. I went with an adjustable saw this time just so I can have atleast 1 saw that I can prety much fully service my self, but the next saw I buy will definatly either be a M-tronic or autotune because I hear a lot of good about them. My cousin has a M-tronic 261 and really likes it and my dad uses a (IIRC)362 M-tronic at work and says it seems to do real well.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Bill

After listening and studying on it a bunch I ended getting a Stihl 362 . Haven't used it yet ( I just brought it home ) . I don't think starting it at the dealers counts .

I've liked the other Stihls I own or use so I 'm hoping for good things with my first mtronic .

khntr85

Well let us know how you like the ms362!!!

WoodBurner19

Just wanted to update you guys on my purchase of my MS 461. I have only about 3 tanks of gas thru her so far & she has run great.
No gas leak issues & starts right up after fueling. I also have another load of wood coming in about a week. This load was Walnut & some Red Oak.     I'm happy so far :)

MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

alabama

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 04, 2017, 02:34:24 PM
I'm going to bring this one back up. It's been almost a year since this post was launched and I am wondering if anyone has any updates or problems with the M-tronic?

I am looking at the Stihl MS 261 C-M with the M-tronic to replace my old 028.

Jon

I just purchased a MS 261 C-M this morning. I'll run it sometime this week. Cost me about $550 and was given a 2 year warranty with it.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

WoodBurner19

I just purchased a MS 261 C-M this morning. I'll run it sometime this week. Cost me about $550 and was given a 2 year warranty with it.
[/quote]

Best of Luck!!

George Zarifis

QuoteI just purchased a MS 261 C-M this morning. I'll run it sometime this week. Cost me about $550 and was given a 2 year warranty with it.

I got a 261 C-M two years ago and it cost me 820€ ($870) (catalog price). Here in Greece everything is more expensive and people get paid less. I will never understand economy... Anyway, I love the saw. Never had a problem with it. I think M-Tronic rocks!
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Weekend_Sawyer

I've got no complaints. I replaced my old 028 with it. It weighs less and has more power.

I do notice some folks saying that they are easy to start. It is just as easy to start as all of my other saws. 6 or so pulls cold and 1 when warm. Any saw of mine that doesn't start like that gets a good talking to and a going over.  ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

RICH STEIXNER

Have owned the MS 441 CM when it first came out with the M-Tronic;  Since then I have also purchased the MS 241 CM and the MS 261 CM and have had NO problems with them.  Did sell the 441, for I did not care for the Wrap-Around Handle.  Just two weeks ago I purchased the MS 462 CM and I am in the process of breaking it in.
Having the three different size saws makes it efficient:  462 for falling and bucking large trees. The 261 is used mostly.
The 241, very light, is used to cut limbs and branches, using the Pico chain.
    So I have been with the M-Tronic, since it came out and like it very much.

sawguy21

Welcome aboard Rich! Can you fill in your profile and let us know where you are and what you are cutting?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!