iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$35.00 Stihl O24 AV

Started by AmericanPiddler, December 08, 2017, 03:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanPiddler

So I know every one will want pics.... but I just landed an older Stihl O24 AV for $35.00 now upon further inspection this poor saw must have never had any sort of PM or any Maintenance for that matter... I have never even an Air Filter as clogged as this one! Upon inspecting the gas tank the line is completely gone inside the tank and the filter was just rolling around.... Now for the good stuff, I pulled the plug adjusted the gap to 5mm wire brushed it put it back in the saw and gave the carb a dash of fuel and on the second pull she came ALIVE! Ran strong enough that I'm not worried and think after a fuel line & filter replacement along with an Air Filter & spark plug change... I think this ol girl is going to be the find of the year for me at 35 bucks!
#AmericanPiddler
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Echo cs 306
David Bradley saw
Stihl O24 AV
Find me on YouTube,Facebook,Instagram,& Twitter

HolmenTree

That's a heck of a good deal A.P.
Those 024 saws were Stihl's big entry into the "new generation" saws back in 1982.
Does yours have the front chain tensioner screw or in the side cover?
The front screw models were the first introduced ones.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

AmericanPiddler

I believe it's a single bar nut with the tensioner right beside it!
#AmericanPiddler
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Echo cs 306
David Bradley saw
Stihl O24 AV

DelawhereJoe

I'm pretty sure its supposed to have 2 bar nuts, I have a mid 80's 024 av. If you only have 1 bar nut that mite be why you got such a good deal on it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Al_Smith

They are nice little saws for 42 cc .16" bar .325 chain .Keep it sharp it will do a good job . It's the first one I grab for a small job .

Al_Smith

I might add they had three different mufflers and one was highly restrictive,something about noise reduction .I landed one of same from a dealer no less that supposedly had a cooked piston .Well it didn't .
A little work with a die grinder on the muffler that problem was solved .A little turn on the high speed carb jet then it ran just fine . That cost me a whole 50 dollars ,complete with a bar guard thrown in to boot .I love it when a plan comes together but I was really looking for an 026 ,close enough .

HolmenTree

I dug out my old Stihl 024AV service manual.
These 2 pics are the only ones in the whole manual that shows the bar studs and chain tensioner.
This 024 is the earliest 1982 model with the front mounted chain tensioner. This saw has one bar nut. The other slotted front stud is not threaded for a nut.
As you can see it has a front positioned tensioner screw head. The side worm gear tensioner was introduced later.
The arrows in both pics points at replacing the oil tank vent valve. The front non threaded bar stud is below it

Woodcutter_Mo

Sounds like a nice score for $35 especially since it starts up and runs. I have an older 024 (later than yours though as it has 2 bar mount nuts) that I rebuilt last year. It's a pretty good little saw.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

AmericanPiddler

Thats good to hear.... I am excited to get this little gem to the table and get the tune up done and produced into an episode! This making videos for YouTube takes a lot more than I expected lol but I'm enjoying it!
#AmericanPiddler
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Echo cs 306
David Bradley saw
Stihl O24 AV

AmericanPiddler

I keep hearing muffler mod! Is this really needed, I mean I'm not a pro except in my mind lol and really don't cut much maybe a mature tree a year! HOLMEN TREE you are a pro and do you do this often?
#AmericanPiddler
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Echo cs 306
David Bradley saw
Stihl O24 AV

HolmenTree

Quote from: AmericanPiddler on December 12, 2017, 03:36:05 PM
I keep hearing muffler mod! HOLMEN TREE you are a pro and do you do this often?
I've done a fair ammount of muffler mods to some of my saws over the years.
Started over 40 years ago by punching a couple holes in the front of my Jonsereds mufflers. Used the screwdriver end of my scrench..
I've brazed many extra dual outlet pipes on mufflers from my little 39cc top handle saw up to a saws over 100cc.

Here's a simple muffler mod on my 562XP. I drilled 2 holes alongside the main outlet. And then slide the spark arrestor screen back in place. Of course I removed muffler first and used compressed air to clean out filings.

Al_Smith

It isn't mandatory but a simple modification and proper tuning after will improve how it runs .Bear in mind not everybody is on the same page with this .There are about as many opinions on this that there is on oil types and mix ratios .
Every internal combustion engine transfers fuel by differential pressures .It only makes sense to improve same you have to start on the exhaust end and work backwards because if it can't get out it can't get in .

Woodcutter_Mo

On my 024 I opened up the muffler and it does feel a bit less restrictive. Mine had 3 or 4 little outlet holes and I just trimmed them out to make a single larger slot. It's not much louder but has a deeper tone now. Seems to have a bit more pep.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

This is my 024 muffler before I opened up the outlet. The green is about where I trimmed it out to.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

AmericanPiddler

Well my last video is where I give this little 35 dollar saw it's tune up an she fired right up... now to make an episode on muffler mod and proper tune!
#AmericanPiddler
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Echo cs 306
David Bradley saw
Stihl O24 AV

moodnacreek

The most reliable saw I have is an 024 and I have many chainsaws. I replaced the cylinder because the air filter lost it's frock. The other problem was the impulse line, that made it run lean. That's about it since 1984.

ZeroJunk

I put a piston in one yesterday. Early model with the single threaded bar stud. Runs OK, but really rich even at 1/2 turn out. Probably somebody messed with the height of the lever. I can buy a new carb for $14 shipped. So, just ordered that.
I had a fuel line to fit it, so looks like I'll have about $35 in it.

Matt James

I had an 024 given to me. The only catch was it didn't run. The old boy told me it was at a stihl service center where they told him it could not be fixed. The check in tag was certainly still on the saw so I did not doubt him. Well I checked spark at the plug it was good. I then poured a lil fuel into cylinder and it popped right off. I then poured some into carb. Wouldn't hit a lick. Looked in tank and found fuel line was like Bubble gum. So I thought if I could clean carb and put on new fuel line and have a good saw in the end that would be great. So went to shop and picked up line and fuel filter. Installed and got it to run, roughly. It would then start to pour fuel out of the exhaust. Well I then went to see bout carb rebuild kit. Mechanic said this particular carb could not be rebuilt because of check balls in carb. The old gas ate coating around check balls and got stuck in a position to dump fuel out exhaust. Next ,price new carb. You have to remember this saw was very lightly used with no hrs. Well 140$ is the price they shot me. Still not bad for a good 0 series stihl. Well the old boy said let's check price on Amazon, we are friends, and I said ok why not. I am a believer now. For carb, all fuel lines, filter and new spark plug guess, 16$. Yep you heard me right. Granted it's not stihl original equipment but wow. Let me just begin by saying it was more work completely breaking down that saw then I thought it would be. Better be a decent small engine guy, have some skills. Well when I finally got it all put back together it was about 1am but I was gonna give it a shot. I put fuel in it and went through setting choke/ trigger and pulled. Well after to many tries I was like what the heck not even a pop. So I checked spark, weak! I went back and adjusted ignition coil from flywheel, used a business card for clearance and tried again. 5 pulls the pop, clicked up choke to next notch and second pull she took right off, sounded great. Did a lil adjusting on carb and that was it. She starts same way every time. I've had her for a year now. I've owend a lot of saws all kinds including 064 and an 084. And I would say that next to the 64 this lil 24 is one of the best saws I've ever owned. In my older age it's become my go to saw. Just wanted to put in my 2cents worth on the amazing 024 av and yes my 2 cents is free.

lxskllr

Welcome to the forum! Nice deal on that saw  :^)

Al_Smith

Something I failed to include in my previous comments about this model and the slightly larger 026 is the fact they list three different muffler systems .A real quiet  one,standard and less restrictive .In my case I had the most restrictive model . It would only stand to logical reasoning it would be the less performance wise .As such and with my demeanor it would only stand to reason also I would rectify that problem .Which less than a half an hour with a die grinder I had a fairly quick small saw .It's not rocket science no matter how anyone plays it up .

Try as they might they've never figured how to  get more power unless you induce more fuel .If the exhaust can't get out the fuel can't get in . ;) 

Thank You Sponsors!