iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

e-2300 fan won't work

Started by doctorb, February 28, 2016, 08:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

I guess I was due for a problem, as I've had very good luck with my 2300, which is in its 7th heating season.

Went out this morning to find low temp (161) and the fan not working.  Was working fine at about 10 PM last evening.  Last night's load half burned and still hot enough to restart with just the door open and no fan.  Tried pressing the door switch - no dice.  Circulating pumps working fine.  Rebooting the Firestarter did not change a thing.

So what's my next move?  Is this a Firestarter problem or is it a fan problem.  Is there a circuit breaker that I might be able to throw and have things work again?  There is nothing about fan problems in my owner's manual.  My fan and Firestarter controller are original.  How do decipher what to fix here?

Thanks for ny help.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JJ

Hi Docb,

I look at my e-2300 and fan runs on AC and is wired in parallel with the 2 main solenoids which control air into firebox and reaction chamber; meaning all 3 turn on with same relay.  If the solenoids are working, then is most likely the fan is shot.  I don't have firestar controls, but I think the functional parts of our stoves are same.

JJ

thecfarm

I take it no noise from the fan in the last few days? Can you turn the fan? When my went,they would not turn real easy. Gave them a spin and they would not keep going for long.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

No noise from the fan during recent operation.  Fan wheel is very easy to turn.  The solenoids are not opening.  Thanks for the tips guys.  I think some relay in the firestar controller has blown.  Awaiting a call from my dealer.  Any other thoughts?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

OK.  New wrinkle.  When I saw the water temp at 161, it flashed in sequence with the code "LO".  I originally thought that was the furnace telling me that the water temp was low.  I thought that was odd, as I had never seen the "LO" code on the firestarter control before, and I have seen water temps in that range over the last 7 winters. .  Anyways, rebooted the system, and just for an instant the solenoids popped open and the fans started.  Then we went right back to "LO".  Turns out, that is the sensor in the furnace for LOw water level, not low temp.  My water level is fine.  Checked it yesterday and again today.  So I must have a problem with the water level sensor.  I think that I have seen others with this problem here.

Any other suggestions?

stratford 50

By pass the low water level switch and you will be up and running, did this for a friend and he ran rest of the winter and changed low level sensor in the spring, cut the wires then connect together and it should work?

doctorb

Thanks.  I also read it in another thread.  As I am shutting down today anyway (shutdown and cleanout was already planned as we are away part of next week), I can perform the bypass maneuver to make sure thats the problem, and do the repair upon my return.  Fantastic help.  Greatly appreciated guys.

Stratford - is the sensor change out difficult?

Bobby

stratford 50

No, not difficult but mine was plastic and it broke and fell inside the water jacket, causing no harm, I drained the water enough to make the replacement easier but have read where others use a vacuum and pull pressure on the water fill pipe?

stratford 50

My fan on the 2400 also stopped working this week, A piece of 1/4 inch charred cinder got lodged in the squirrel cage and stopped the fan, I removed the cinder and after 3 or so minutes the fan started, I e-mailed CB and the fan motor has an Internal Thermal Switch which shut the fan down which is good, A heads up as this can happen.

doctorb

Bypass wire was simple.  I think some recommended splicing the two wires together to jump them, but its very easy to trace the wires back to a plastic connector plug.  Disengage the connector and then shove the ends of a short spliced wire into the two sides of the plug.  Done.

My dealer told me about the vacuum trick.  He's gonna get me a new sensor.

Agaion, thanks for your help.

stumper

Mine is gone again.  Running with it by-passed, have most of the season.  I plan on buying a replacement but I see no need for a spare as the by-pass is easy and works. 

I did a post years ago with a step by step.

talldog

Sounds like you have found the problem. On a similar note, my blower did crap out this winter on a Saturday night in January when I was heading out the door to plow 35 driveways. It would never happen in a shoulder season on a weekday. I did however have a spare Dayton blower on hand and swapped it out on the next day. I remember when I bought this spare blower my wife was questioning the need for it. After the new one was installed she said we should get another replacement ASAP

Thank You Sponsors!